Westbrook | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Westbrook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn fans should have much to be excited about soon with respect to Evina. A very credible source from the Pacific Northwest has indicated that the announcement may come as early as Friday. Westbrook to UConn. Now.... time for the UConn administrative staff to get to work on drafting, editing, and refining that waiver request for Westbrook for the '19-'20 season.

I'm only liking this based on your " very credible source from the Pacific Northwest". :D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If Westbrook comes, there's no way she doesn't start. I'd guess our starters would be:

1) Dangerfield
2) Westbrook
3) Christyn
4) Megan
5) Olivia.

That's a whole lot of fire power. Anyone of them will kill you if you leave to help on the others.
That's also a transition game nightmare for every team. Liv has to work hard on her strength, conditioning, and quarter court game. She's going to at least need to be a threat from the about the foul line to keep defenses honest. It'll be a tough team to cover from inbounds to the arc though.

Reaction Score
People sure seem to be overly excited about next year lineup with Westbrook in there. While I am sure they are going to be very good, just remember that Uconn just lost 2 all-time great, top 6 WNBA draft, and that team did not make it to the final game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
People sure seem to be overly excited about next year lineup with Westbrook in there. While I am sure they are going to be very good, just remember that Uconn just lost 2 all-time great, top 6 WNBA draft, and that team did not make it to the final game.
I never thought I'd get so much use out of this picture...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hahaha ... I knew it was coming.:p
I aim to please! ;)

All joking aside, I think pretty much all UCONN fans know what we lost. Keep mind that probably the best other 2 teams in the nation lost players too. Oregon lost their starting PG. Baylor lost both their starting PG (FF MOP) and their AA center.

I think in general one would need to be living under a rock to also not know that we need size. But also, should we be lucky enough to land Evina, several others have pointed out that not only will we be incredibly deep at the 1-3 spots, but will potentially have more talent and depth than any other team in the nation at those positions.

Even if Evina is the ONLY other player we add who is eligible to play next year, I'd say we are at least one of the top 3 teams in the nation, if not a favorite to win it all.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Killjoy much? :D
UCONN seems to lose all-time greats every year yet somehow UCONN keeps getting back to FF and even winning championships. As the rosters is constructed right now this team would have a good shot at making it to FF IMO. One of the problems with the roster as constructed over last 3 years really is those all-time great could never get a rest. Add Westbrook to the roster and now they can. And who is to say that Westbrook doesn't become as good as one of those all-time greats you mention. Every quality addition is a step closer to #12. Westbrook might be two steps closer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I just saw on Instagram Awak kuier do a reverse dunk.. its on her page... We gotta get her like yesterday.
Is it possible you can post the video in the recruiting thread.

Reaction Score
Has anyone mentioned that if Westbrook has to sit a year then her new school might wind up looking very foolish when she enters the draft next spring, and she is eligible by age. Not a huge deal for UConn which never seems to use 15 scholarships but a waste of time, effort & resources.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Has anyone mentioned that if Westbrook has to sit a year then her new school might wind up looking very foolish when she enters the draft next spring, and she is eligible by age. Not a huge deal for UConn which never seems to use 15 scholarships but a waste of time, effort & resources.
This has been mentioned. I think the consensus is that it's still worth it. That risk is the same for everyone not just UCONN.

Reaction Score
Was thinking the same thing. We're swapping out a senior #1 and a #6 who were the highest scoring teammates in history with versatile games for two unproven players of lower caliber and experience (until proven otherwise). We should be so fortunate to just get back to the regional final game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Was thinking the same thing. We're swapping out a senior #1 and a #6 who were the highest scoring teammates in history with versatile games for two unproven players of lower caliber and experience (until proven otherwise). We should be so fortunate to just get back to the regional final game.
To paraphrase Rick Pitino: KLS and Napheesa aren't walking back through the door to suit up for UCONN. Aubrey Griffin, Anna Makurat & Evelyn Adebayo will be walking through the door. Evina Westbrook might be walking through the door. Let's give all of them uniforms and see what happens.

Reaction Score
To paraphrase Rick Pitino: KLS and Napheesa aren't walking back through the door to suit up for UCONN. Aubrey Griffin, Anna Makurat & Evelyn Adebayo will be walking through the door. Evina Westbrook might be walking through the door. Let's give all of them uniforms and see what happens.
I like to keep expectations realistic. If the newcomers mesh well and get up to speed quickly, then I'm happy to be more optimistic, but right now none of us know what they can or can't contribute next season, and we did just take the biggest roster loss since the big three. Those will be big shoes to fill.

Reaction Score
If Westbrook gets the waiver & as I have written before, UCONN would have the deepest 1,2,3 rotation I can ever remember not just at UCONN but possibly in all of WCBB history. And just think that rotation only gets deeper for the 20-21 season. Oh my!
Starters:
3) SF Walker
2) SG Christyn Williams
1) PG Crystal Dangerfield
Rotation:
3) SF Aubrey Griffin
2) SG Anna Makurat
1) PG Evina Westbrook
The 2000 Huskies where the deepest roster. They went 10 deep, much more talent and a great distribution of players of different sizes. They played full court press a lot and wore teams down. The 2nd five on that team could have been ranked in the top 10 teams that year. They went to Philly and ran so many back door plays because TN overplayed the passing lanes looking for steals it looked like a practice drill. Shuey I believe had 9 blocks. It was one of the best team basketball games EVER!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The 2000 Huskies where the deepest roster. They went 10 deep, much more talent and a great distribution of players of different sizes. They played full court press a lot and wore teams down. The 2nd five on that team could have been ranked in the top 10 teams that year. They went to Philly and ran so many back door plays because TN overplayed the passing lanes looking for steals it looked like a practice drill. Shuey I believe had 9 blocks. It was one of the best team basketball games EVER!
I was at that game with some friends and HS classmates of Geno. My depth analysis was only of positions 1-3 and assumed that Westbrook would come to UCONN. A full 5 position comparison will be appropriate once the whole roster gets filled out. Without anymore additions to the 19-20 roster I would fully agree with your analysis.

Reaction Score
UConn did make to the final four this year.
If you don't win the NC, what difference you are #2, #3 or #4?

Reaction Score
so let me get this straight. it is entirely possible that Westbrook could transfer, be denied a waiver and have to sit out a year and then enter the WNBA draft? and thus never play another year in the NCAA..... Why on earth would any college take that chance.
Why doesn't she just play overseas this fall/winter and enter the WNBA draft next year?
What player would not play at least one year of their remaining eligibility if they had to sit out?

Reaction Score
There is very little chance that the stars will align and we will see another dominant team like the four years of Stewie. That group spanning the years Breanna was at UConn represents an assemblage of talent that is very rare. Even at UConn it has only happened twice in the past 24 years and the first group did not win four NC's in a row.

Getting to the Final Four is hard. Once there, the winner is often determined by circumstance as much as it is by talent or depth. Often the "best team" struggles to win that final game or is upset. For instance, if Lauren Cox had been injured in the first quarter of the NC game would Baylor have won? Who knows?

The expectation that many have on this forum that UConn has to win the National Championship to have a successful year or be a successful team is, in my opinion, unrealistic and quite frankly unfair to the team and the coaching staff. If they work hard and play their best there really is nothing more that can be asked of them.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
There is very little chance that the stars will align and we will see another dominant team like the four years of Stewie. That group spanning the years Breanna was at UConn represents an assemblage of talent that is very rare. Even at UConn it has only happened twice in the past 24 years and the first group did not win four NC's in a row.

Getting to the Final Four is hard. Once there, the winner is often determined by circumstance as much as it is by talent or depth. Often the "best team" struggles to win that final game or is upset. For instance, if Lauren Cox had been injured in the first quarter of the NC game would Baylor have won? Who knows?

The expectation that many have on this forum that UConn has to win the National Championship to have a successful year or be a successful team is, in my opinion, unrealistic and quite frankly unfair to the team and the coaching staff. If they work hard and play their best there really is nothing more that can be asked of them.

If Azzi Fudd and Hannah Gusters come, I could see it repeating.

Is it probable? Eh.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In the 2016-2017 season, we had just lost AAs Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson who went 1, 2, 3 in the WNBA draft. It was widely viewed as a rebuilding year. Result: 36-1 lost in OT in the FF.

In the 2017-2018 season, we had just lost WNBA player Saniya Chong. It was widely viewed as a rebuilding year. Result: 36-1 lost in OT in the FF.

In the 2018-2019 season, we had just lost WNBA players Gabby Williams, Kia Nurse and Azura Stevens. It was widely viewed as a rebuilding year. Result: 35-3 lost in the FF.

In the 2019-2020 season, we will lose WNBA players Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson . It will be widely viewed as a rebuilding year. I wonder what the result will be?

Reaction Score
I realize some do. But are any of them the “Boston is sure to pick UConn” folks?
My thoughts exactly, everybody on here is acting like Westbrook has already committed to UConn. I have read far too many posts on here by "credible inside sources" regarding commitments that were flat out wrong. Call me a "Debbie downer", but I sure as heck ain't counting my chicks before they hatch.

Reaction Score
What a bunch of dastardly people who would allow themselves to get excited about a prospective team coached by the legendary, Hall of Fame coach ..... this after only 12 consecutive Final Four appearances that 95% of the women's basketball teams will never attain .....

Reaction Score
What a bunch of dastardly people who would allow themselves to get excited about a prospective team coached by the legendary, Hall of Fame coach ..... this after only 12 consecutive Final Four appearances that 95% of the women's basketball teams will never attain .....

95%? You are being generous. It will never be repeated by any other school, although it can be exceeded by Uconn next year.

Reaction Score

I agree that all too many people here on the Boneyard and elsewhere have somewhat unrealistic expectations and that is really tough on the kids and the coaching staff but to say that as long as the kids try hard and play hard, that is enough is also quite unrealistic ..... it almost sounds like the philosophy that we ought to award every team that competes a trophy ...... I would never accept that philosophy .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom