Westbrook Fantastic article | The Boneyard

Westbrook Fantastic article

Reaction Score
I give Evina so much credit for her leadership and the acceptance of her place on the team. Both she and Geno have been loyal to one another. He thoroughly appreciates and trusts her. Most of all, we have never heard a bad word about her or from her. Yes, we are thankful to have Evina for sure. She will get her due!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tremendous article. Evina will most likely never be on the wall of honor, but she's one of the greatest people to ever wear Husky blue and white, and I wish her every good thing.

Most will never know the mess she had to endure at Tennessee. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was awful. But just like in the Shawshank redemption, she "crawled thru a river of s*** and came out clean on the other side". We are so lucky and blessed to have her, and I truly hope she's supremely happy - she deserves it.

I did think it was interesting that the article did not mention (and we've read it numerous times), that she actually really wanted to come to UCONN originally (or at least consider it), but Geno never recruited her for whatever reason. IIRC, she said she ended up choosing the school she knew would hurt UCONN the most if they beat us. Talk about passion and intensity!

But now she's home and happy, and we are so lucky to be able to watch her play!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When CD in her press availability went into E and then into a more general discussion of the Uconn program I thought it was very illuminating:
"We have kids on our team and in our program over the course of 30-some years that they are willing to give up of themselves for the success of our group. E has bought into that."

She also said getting recruits that were willing to transition from being scorers, because that was generally all they were graded on as HS kids, and becoming basketball players, it was great. And they discovered how much fun all the rest of their time on court could be. They only have the ball in their hands for a small percentage of any game, and all the movement, setting screens, working to get open, and locking down on defense - when it is valued, it can be great.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Evina has been one of my favorites on this team because she keeps doing the same thing game after game and excells at what she is contributing. I would put her on my team on the Marine Corps any day. She is loyal, steadfast, and consistent. And she probably is a good teacher by example. I really like that.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I love Evina Westbrook and wish she would have came here as a freshman! CD talked about how she was the player of the game against high point. She does so much more than score. If you just re watch a game and only watch her she defends, rebounds, assists, talks on defense. She is a great player and teammate.

Reaction Score
To be honest I didn't know what to expect from reading all the posts and media articles written about E before her arrival in Storrs. I was a little skeptical about her ability from videos I watched and cautiously optimistic about her mom being a helicopter parent.

What has transpired this year on and off the court gives me a clearer picture of the type of player and person she is: a selfless teammate, a competitor, and someone that you want to go to battle with each and every night. She will do what is needed of her and not look to stuff her score box for the sake of sacrificing the team, even on two dodgy knees.

In essence, she truly is a prototype UCONN player and although her travels started at Rocky Top, she found her way to where she belongs. I'm happy that we have her and hope she never goes underappreciated for what she has brought to this 2020-2021 team.

Reaction Score
Great article. When E's UConn days are over (hopefully, after next season), if she determines that her knees will not hold up to the rigors of the WNBA, she decides to start a collegiate coaching career where she can mentor more young kids. CD and Geno will be 2 great references!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I did not approve of the signing of E. I understood why she said what she said about the UT program needing to make some changes. She was still in uniform right after a tough loss and a reporter shoved a mike in her face. I felt her posts after she left were rude and taunting. Specially the "Sorry, Not Sorry" post. I didn't want our team contaminated by an arrogant and self centered player. Was I ever wrong and so glad that I was. She has destroyed my misconceived preconception of who she is. I am so proud of the young lady. She quickly became teh missing piece this team needed in several areas. She is the calm voice, she exudes the slow burning fire of a competitor that is necessary to win at the highest levels. Her humility and sacrifice for the team are a tremendous example that will effect the team chemistry long after she has gone on to the next phase. So glad she is OUR 'E'.

Reaction Score
So many good things to say about her!!!! = The way that E has bought into what it takes to be part of a successful team at UConn, the way she goes above and beyond for her teammates and how they all think the absolute world of her, the way the coaches trust her, the way she gives 100% every second shes out on the court, the way she leads this young team and doesnt care that she gets nowhere near the amount of recognition as others = she is a true UConn type player through and through. Also have to say that as far as her family goes (because a lot was said about them from Vol fans) I have loved following them on social media and how they have also bought into being part of the UConn family. I sent her mum a message on instagram before the Tenn game just saying good luck to E and that all of UConn are behind her no matter what and she replied with a lovely message back, she didnt have to do that but that says a lot about her and their family. Been amazing having her part of this program and I hope she (and the rest of the team) get what they deserve at the end of this season and bring home number 12!

Reaction Score
OK with the Cuse game coming up tonight, it's time for a feel good story about OUR Evina Westbrook. UConn is so lucky to have her. Hope her knees will hold up for her. Such a wonderful and helpful teammate and person.

westbrook

Even with all of the talent on this team, Evina is still my favorite player. She has brought that something to this team that has been missing the last couple of years. She has sacrificed and has gone through the surgeries to get back to playing again. She is the unquestioned leader of this team I hope that she comes back next year!

Reaction Score
I did not approve of the signing of E. I understood why she said what she said about the UT program needing to make some changes. She was still in uniform right after a tough loss and a reporter shoved a mike in her face. I felt her posts after she left were rude and taunting. Specially the "Sorry, Not Sorry" post. I didn't want our team contaminated by an arrogant and self centered player. Was I ever wrong and so glad that I was. She has destroyed my misconceived preconception of who she is. I am so proud of the young lady. She quickly became teh missing piece this team needed in several areas. She is the calm voice, she exudes the slow burning fire of a competitor that is necessary to win at the highest levels. Her humility and sacrifice for the team are a tremendous example that will effect the team chemistry long after she has gone on to the next phase. So glad she is OUR 'E'.
Really good post. It takes a man of integrity and character to own up to his mistake. According to the article, E has not discussed the details of what happened. But Geno did not like what he learned. Geno is more often right than wrong. According to CD, E could be the MVP of the High Point game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom