West Virginia @ Mississippi St (10) - 12/08/19 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

West Virginia @ Mississippi St (10) - 12/08/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Not really surprised at the outcome because we have a lot of problems. We have a lot of soft players IMO.

Reaction Score
Honestly the only one who looked to be physical rebounding the ball today for Miss St was Rickea.

Hard to win games when you turn the ball over, don't rebound, and miss 15+ free throws.

Reaction Score
They still have two players who are absolutely not a threat from the outside in Taylor and Danberry. Way harder to get any type of open drive or ball movement when teams can sag off all game and you can't just throw it in to Teaira McCowan.

Reaction Score
They still have two players who are absolutely not a threat from the outside in Taylor and Danberry. Way harder to get any type of open drive or ball movement when teams can sag off all game and you can't just throw it in to Teaira McCowan.

Danberry has a midrange jumper. M. Taylor is literally zero offensive threat at all. She got to the free throw line today in the 2nd half but she simply cannot stretch the defense with her shooting.

Miss St is too soft of a team right now. Getting kicked in the face all over the boards routinely. I don't quite understand their offense. Its 90% dribbling 10% passing. They take a lot of bad shots that get teams out in transition for easy buckets.

State looks like a team with no identity right now. McCowan was the team's alpha dog and identity offensively and defensively these last 3 years. There is no true dominant post player for State to lean on.

Reaction Score
Danberry has a midrange jumper. M. Taylor is literally zero offensive threat at all. She got to the free throw line today in the 2nd half but she simply cannot stretch the defense with her shooting.

Miss St is too soft of a team right now. Getting kicked in the face all over the boards routinely. I don't quite understand their offense. Its 90% dribbling 10% passing. They take a lot of bad shots that get teams out in transition for easy buckets.

State looks like a team with no identity right now. McCowan was the team's alpha dog and identity offensively and defensively these last 3 years. There is no true dominant post player for State to lean on.
Not getting Minyon Moore was a huge miss for Vic because she can score. Matharu is just really out of control, but she should still be getting minutes IMO. I think Mingo-Young should shoot more. She’s their best option at point IMO. AEH rushes shots because she doesn’t really get a lot of good catch and shoot looks.

I think they’re third at best in the SEC, likely 4-5.

Reaction Score
Not getting Minyon Moore was a huge miss for Vic because she can score. Matharu is just really out of control, but she should still be getting minutes IMO. I think Mingo-Young should shoot more. She’s their best option at point IMO. AEH rushes shots because she doesn’t really get a lot of good catch and shoot looks.

I think they’re third at best in the SEC, likely 4-5.

I think Vic should take his lumps with Matharu some more. She is definitely out of control at times, but so is Rickea, Wiggins, AEH, etc... Only will get better by getting experience. Miss St needs to find some rebounding. The current group gets pushed around too much. They desperately could use S. Cooks this year.

They also need to find a way to run an offense that isn't simply dribbling back and forth until someone gets open.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Live look at Nikki's in game coaching:

3iu5m4.jpg

Reaction Score
Agreed the rebounding is bad. However the bigger concern is you still don’t see a player take control of the situation on the court. You also don’t have a group that has really separated themselves as the alpha group. Another glaring stat is the missed free throws today. While WV was near equally abysmal if MSU is going to maintain itself as an upper echelon team then they have to be able to concentrate and focus better than that. Coach Schaefer said it was going to be an up and down season. I think too many MSU fans thought it would be a simple plug and play.
Shocked me, we were at home and I expected much better performance. Obviously, rebounding is a problem area but I am more concerned with the lack of team chemistry. Lots of talent but no general to lead the troops.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
WVU leads 67-64 with 47 seconds left to play

WVU with 17 offensive rebounds and Miss St is 14-28 from FT line.
Miss St went over 6 minutes to end the game without a FG

Miss St is prob a 15-20 team at this point. Their rebounding is awful with no true dominant post play. Not a top 10 team.
Why would you not post the final score?
This is the closest thing to the ingame thread and one of the main posters doesn't include the final score. Sorry, just another of my BY Pet Peeves :)

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
FT shooting had been a strength for us in the recent years. Despite the horrific play today across the board had we shot our FT’s like we have in previous years we probably win the game.
That said, losing a couple of games right now might be the best tonic that we need. Players tend to be more receptive to coaching when you lose and I suspect these players are going to have some heavy duty workouts in the next couple of days.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I finally saw this game, and I have to say... I'm not really that concerned. I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but I'm just giving my opinion on the matter.

I was more alarmed about the Marquette game. Even though we won that game, I felt the strength of Marquette. I felt like that was a team that could literally outplay us with their strengths if one thing didn't go our way. Thankfully it did.

I don't think West Virginia is quite that good. Of course they were better than us today, but I don't think they can regularly knock off top 10 teams.

I'm glad though that we've been playing some good teams lately, and we've definitely played better teams in the first 10 games this year than last year.

I felt like we've played 4 really good teams. And we're 2-2 in those games. Green Bay is very good. They have 4 losses, but all 4 to top 25 caliber teams. They're definitely a top 50 team. Marquette is strong. Stanford is even better. And West Virginia is a top 25 team, and possibly the 2nd best Big-12 team. Maybe 3rd. And I have us personally ranked #18 right now.

I think what we need to address is a few things.

Rickea is facing tougher defenders than what she's used to in high school, and they're really playing close to her, stripping a lot of her balls away and she's playing under a lot of contact - and she needs to learn how to overcome players that can fight for ball possession like West Virginia. Those turnovers they forced on her tonight was probably the difference.

Myah Taylor is actually quite solid. She was making a few plays against a physical and hard-fighting team today. She moves well, and Vic has complimented her on-ball defense, but it's too easy to block her driving lay-up sometimes and she's sometimes a no-show, like vs Stanford and Marquette. Bibby can also be a no-show which is worse. Espinoza-Hunter can slump badly. Those can be hard to overcome.

Danberry, Jackson, and Carter seems to be our best offense right now. They're getting the most physical play from the defense, but they still fight through them and can still put together a decent night against strong opposition. Danberry is definitely our best player. Her stats in the last 5 games have pointed to her being our most relied on player. Since when we've been playing good teams, it's clear that she looks the most experienced from our team.

Rickea and Jessika will hopefully get stronger and become better offensively throughout the course of the year. They can be really good and seems to have real highs at times, but other times it's evident they're young and inexperienced. We go up as these 2 go up, imo.

Right now, just hang tight. Good thing is we don't play anyone too tough until Jan 16 (LSU), and the big one in Columbia (Jan 20). If we can take care of our next 7.... featuring a few decent teams like Florida and South Florida, I'll trust we'll have our team ready for LSU, and even more importantly against South Carolina.

Last edited:

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Well you can always count on Vic to drop at least one "hitting the fan" home game against an unranked team.

Where do statements like these come from? Is it all from a bad game vs. Mizzou last year?

That was the only loss last year to teams not named Oregon in Oregon. The previous year (2017-18), they were undefeated in the regular season, with losses in the SEC Tourney Championship & NC games.

The teams MSU has lost to at home since reaching the national stage in the 2016-17 season are Tennessee, Missouri and now West Virginia. 3 losses in 3+ seasons and none to teams who aren't typically pretty strong, Top 25 or very close caliber teams.

Picking on the home record of a guy who is 31-1 in the SEC regular season the last two years with a single home loss over those two years seems a bit much.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Where do statements like these come from? Is it all from a bad game vs. Mizzou last year?

That was the only loss last year to teams not named Oregon in Oregon. The previous year (2017-18), they were undefeated in the regular season, with losses in the SEC Tourney Championship & NC games.

The teams MSU has lost to at home since reaching the national stage in the 2016-17 season are Tennessee, Missouri and now West Virginia. 3 losses in 3+ seasons and none to teams who aren't typically pretty strong, Top 25 or very close caliber teams.

Picking on the home record of a guy who is 31-1 in the SEC regular season the last two years with a single home loss over those two years seems a bit much.
Sorry, I was just making a corny reference to a similarly absurd swipe that someone took at Dawn after SC lost to Indiana.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Sorry, I was just making a corny reference to a similarly absurd swipe that someone took at Dawn after SC lost to Indiana.

Fair enough, I missed that. Sorry.

Admittedly a little raw after that 4th quarter display yesterday. I'm going to be satisfied if State can have a season warranting a Top 4 seed and a Sweet Sixteen run, but still hate to see the inevitable losses that are coming for this team. Got spoiled.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Fair enough, I missed that. Sorry.

Admittedly a little raw after that 4th quarter display yesterday. I'm going to be satisfied if State can have a season warranting a Top 4 seed and a Sweet Sixteen run, but still hate to see the inevitable losses that are coming for this team. Got spoiled.
West Virginia is clearly not a bad team. MSU will be a lot better by March than they are now. No one's going undefeated this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom