Well... | The Boneyard

Well...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We had more than double their yards.
We had more than double their first downs.
The opponent only converted on 1 third down all game.
We had a running back go for 144 and another running back just shy of 100.

And we beat the FCS team by....3. Freakin' 3.

The kids looked like they got better than last year. But questions about the QB got bigger. Playcalling questions got bigger. And we somehow tired late in a game against a team that should have been wiped out playing against a bigger faster team.

Well... let's enjoy the win as much as we can and get ready for Illinois...

Reaction Score
We had more than double their yards.
We had more than double their first downs.
The opponent only converted on 1 third down all game.
We had a running back go for 144 and another running back just shy of 100.

And we beat the FCS team by....3. Freakin' 3.

The kids looked like they got better than last year. But questions about the QB got bigger. Playcalling questions got bigger. And we somehow tired late in a game against a team that should have been wiped out playing against a bigger faster team.

Well... let's enjoy the win as much as we can and get ready for Illinois...
..........and thank the refs for the phantom facemask in the closing minutes. Lol

Reaction Score
I want to knock the OC so badly, but given what we saw from Beaudry, I can’t really blame him.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I want to knock the OC so badly, but given what we saw from Beaudry, I can’t really blame him.

I would knock him too... except for the fact that I'm 94% positive that Edsall was calling the shots after 10-0! I mean, who the hell tries to run the clock out in the second quarter?!?

Reaction Score
I would knock him too... except for the fact that I'm 94% positive that Edsall was calling the shots after 10-0! I mean, who the hell tries to run the clock out in the second quarter?!?

This is 1000% correct. As soon as we get a lead we take our foot off the gas. That's on the coach. It cost us the UMASS game last year and nearly cost us this one.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The play calling on offense needs to be more than it was last night. To many men in the box in the second half without worry of throwing more than five yards or so from the line of scrimmage. That has to change and hopefully before next weeks game against Illinois.

Reaction Score
Edsall played so scared it blew my mind. QB sucks, I sincerely hope he's not the best we have. O-line is fair. I like what we have at WR-TE-RB. Defensive line is slow-footed, they look like they play in quick sand. LBs look improved. DBs aren't a disaster. We are still bad, but compared to last year, a better bad.

Reaction Score
We have one corner who does not want to tackle and does not cover well so Illinois will abuse him early and often. UCONN again bored the fans to death taking them out of the game. Art Tompkins us very talented but running him up the middle all game will get him hurt before long. Having a QB who is no threat to run makes the run game easy to defend, Beaudry had no touch on his long throws which were not put in position for the players to make a play. His shorter throws to the edge seemed to be a bit slow. Drayton looked good in his first game. Agree we looked tired in the 4th Q.

Reaction Score
Why all the long faces? Unlike the past few years our first game was a win (that’s a good thing) and as the OP said we out-gained them in all the stats. ps—they had some good players too. Beaudry was hardly the dolt you’re painting him to be. He’ll get better as he gets more game experience with his normal receivers (his two main targets all spring were missing last night). The key was getting the run game going and we did a better job than I can remember (from the RB’s) the last two years.
The D looked much improved and will get even better as they acclimate to Spanos’ system in real time.
Sometimes in life you rise to the level of your competition. I look for a better game from us vs Illinois.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Beaudry almost gets picked on a deep ball and throws a pick 6, and people get pissed that Edsall was being cautious with his playcalling? I don’t care much for Randy because he can’t recruit, but nothing Beaudry was doing made me say “Randy should be letting him sling it”. Hopefully it was only rust, obviously it’s been a while.

Reaction Score
This team is going to be primarily a running team this year because that appears the be the strength of our offense ( experienced offensive line and experienced running backs). No one expects the offense to throw the ball all over the field. However, last night the play calling was very vanilla and predictable. We didn't attacked the middle of the field and threw too many short out pattern passes. I didn't see very many play action plays either. Coaches tend to go conservative against weaker early season opponents while saving a lot of the playbook for the better opponents. I'm not sure we are good enough to do that but we did get a win. Beaudry has only been here a month so I expect him to get better as the season goes on. I will reserve judgment on Giufre, Edsall and our offense for at least a few more game.

Reaction Score
The defense fell asleep midway through the 2nd half because Edsall took what crowd was there out of the game with the play calling on offense
In his defense, our 2 starting WRs were out, which warranted a game plan change as he stated in the post game presser.
Our D showed a few flashes that showed me that this ain't gonna be a repeat of last year on that side of the ball. We just need to maintain the intensity for the entire game. We simply can't afford not to.
Btw, nice to see Gilmartin flying around out there and contributing in live game action, not just special teams

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
the Boneyard:

Beaudry sucks has no arm, can't read a defense, not a throwing upgrade on Pindell.

Giufre sucks - too conservative, didn't let above QB who can't read a defense, sucks and has no arm sling the ball all over the field.

Boneyard- Defense sucks - Wagner is a middling 1-AA team they scored on a 55 yard TD run up the middle.

Special teams were good

Special teams sucked - we gave them possession on the 40 yard line too many times.

RE v1 was great
RE v2 sucks
RE v1 sucked
Re v2 sucks

The ultimate damned if you do and damned if you don't place.

Reaction Score
I know I'll get beat up for this comment but UConn football fans have got to stop being shocked when you lose to or barely squeak by an FCS opponent. Wagner is a mediocre NEC team who will likely finish behind Duquesne, Sacred Heart, and CCSU. That's UConn's level at this point. Those are your peer schools, like it or not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know I'll get beat up for this comment but UConn football fans have got to stop being shocked when you lose to or barely squeak by an FCS opponent. Wagner is a mediocre NEC team who will likely finish behind Duquesne, Sacred Heart, and CCSU. That's UConn's level at this point. Those are your peer school, like it or not.

CCSU has fans?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I thought the line should have been 14 and I thought we’d win by 10. Sadly, I overestimated this team.

Since that Navy game a few years ago where we blew it in the last minute, I feel like I’ve been hit by a steamroller. It’s like I’ve fallen and I can’t get up. Hopefully we’ll see a spark of improvement at some point this year.

Reaction Score
CCSU has fans?
Quite a few. And I believe your comment just proved my point.
Remember when Dennis Green made his famous, "They are who we thought they were" comment? To paraphrase that, "You AREN'T who you thought you were." At this point, you're an FCS calibre team. That may change. And honestly I hope it does because I believe it's good for the state when UConn football does well.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Quite a few. And I believe your comment just proved my point.
Remember when Dennis Green made his famous, "They are who we thought they were" comment? To paraphrase that, "You AREN'T who you thought you were." At this point, you're an FCS calibre team. That may change. And honestly I hope it does because I believe it's good for the state when UConn football does well.

We aren't peer schools in any respect, athletically or otherwise. Not at all. Sorry to burst your bubble...

Reaction Score
Why all the long faces? Unlike the past few years our first game was a win (that’s a good thing) and as the OP said we out-gained them in all the stats. ps—they had some good players too. Beaudry was hardly the dolt you’re painting him to be. He’ll get better as he gets more game experience with his normal receivers (his two main targets all spring were missing last night). The key was getting the run game going and we did a better job than I can remember (from the RB’s) the last two years.
The D looked much improved and will get even better as they acclimate to Spanos’ system in real time.
Sometimes in life you rise to the level of your competition. I look for a better game from us vs Illinois.

It was the first game and I think we will be having 4 wins. Not good, but I believe we won't be blown out...

Reaction Score

Edsall castrated Joe Moorhead, he looks to being the same to the new OC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom