Welcome to the future of NIL | The Boneyard

Welcome to the future of NIL

Reaction Score
1696518699213.jpeg

Reaction Score
Is your title implying this is a bad thing? This rules.
As long as you don’t care that UConn football (and many others) will have no hope of competing in an escalating arms race with no rules. Will be “interesting” to see what college sports looks like after 5-10 years of this.

Reaction Score
Luxury pickup truck culture is so dumb. They're college students, they really don't need a truck. How's the parking in Salt Lake City? They probably can't even sell it due to the advertising aspect.

Reaction Score
Luxury pickup truck culture is so dumb. They're college students, they really don't need a truck. How's the parking in Salt Lake City? They probably can't even sell it due to the advertising aspect.
They don't even really own it, they have to give it back as soon as they transfer or their eligibility expires

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
As long as you don’t care that UConn football (and many others) will have no hope of competing in an escalating arms race with no rules. Will be “interesting” to see what college sports looks like after 5-10 years of this.
If a kid can go get set up better for the rest of his life at another school, he should go to that other school.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ridiculous - players now rule the roost.
I dislike pro sports because they ruined it with ridiculous salary standards and now college sports has turned that corner
What's next - high school and youth sports?

Reaction Score
Why? These are kids who quite literally destroying their bodies for our entertainment, and provide the labor that gets a lot of people a paycheck. Most of them won’t see a dime from professional football.
There are two issues that are related but not the same. One is whether college athletes should be paid. I and many others have come around to the opinion that they should. The second is whether the manner in which NIL allows them to be paid is the right way to do it given the situation and the needs of the players, the universities and college athletics as a whole. One can think, as I do, that the answer to the second question is a resounding NO without questioning the need to allow players to be paid for their efforts.

Reaction Score
There are two issues that are related but not the same. One is whether college athletes should be paid. I and many others have come around to the opinion that they should. The second is whether the manner in which NIL allows them to be paid is the right way to do it given the situation and the needs of the players, the universities and college athletics as a whole. One can think, as I do, that the answer to the second question is a resounding NO without questioning the need to allow players to be paid for their efforts.
Well said

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Ridiculous - players now rule the roost.
I dislike pro sports because they ruined it with ridiculous salary standards and now college sports has turned that corner
What's next - high school and youth sports?
Youth sports are already semi professionalized. If a kid is showing talent and interest in this day in age they are entering into regional divisions that have parents traveling state lines hours each way. It becomes the social nucleus of the family. The team parents become a community. Nobody spends any time outside of it.

That is a lifestyle that some don't want to sign up for but sacrifice in support of their kids.

Giving that family perks for that sacrifice wouldn't be the disturbing part of the development.

Reaction Score
I just find it ironic how NIL was created to allow players to make money of THEIR OWN NAME, IMAGE, AND LIKENESS.... now they've socialized it by giving everyone the same benefits under the name of the University. I believe that the universities have wayyyyyy too much leeway when it comes to how they spend their NIL budget, they should be spending the money on facilities, team travel & food, and the best coaches/doctors/trainers money can buy.

This has nothing to do with "do the athletes deserve this," because I absolutely think they do, and I love the benefits they are getting.
But I don't think the universities should be allowed to do it.

Let's just stop acting like the universities are doing this for the players. They are not. The overwhelming majority are doing it to stay competitive with the strong programs that can recruit players who are NIL worthy on their own (Cooper Flagg).

Reaction Score
Clingan drives an NIL leased vehicle - his dad said so on a Twitter spaces this week. I assume a lot of our players have cars leased to them for free. This isn’t new
just ask Marcus Camby....

caw

Reaction Score
With those trucks I’d rather they pay my insurance and gas than give it to me to lease for free.

Reaction Score

I'm in the same boat. Pay 'em... but NIL is bullsh

Reaction Score
I'm in the same boat. Pay 'em... but NIL is bullsh
It's amazing many people didn't see what was coming with this NIL nonsense.

The question is how do they create a system where the athletes get paid, it makes sense, and it doesn't destroy college sports? What we have now certainly isn't sustainable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom