Welcome John Dunn: New OC | The Boneyard

Welcome John Dunn: New OC

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Bio from the Bears website: Never been an OC? Never called plays?

John Dunn is in his second season with the Bears as an offensive assistant. He originally joined the Bears as a football assistant.

Dunn possesses 13 years of coaching experience, including 12 years at the college level with Maryland (2011-15), LSU (2008-10) and North Carolina (2004-07).

Dunn spent five seasons (2011-15) at Maryland coaching tight ends as well holding the role of recruiting coordinator. During his time at Maryland, Dunn helped put together two, top 35 recruiting classes and landed three five-star recruits (Damien Prince, 2014; Deon Long, 2013; Stefon Diggs, 2012). He also helped Maryland land the Washington, D.C. Gatorade Player of the Year in back-to-back seasons (Yannick Ngakoue, 2013; Albert Reid, 2012).

Prior to joining Maryland, Dunn spent three seasons at LSU as an offensive graduate assistant/intern. While with the Tigers, he helped coach the offensive line and quarterbacks and ran meetings with those position groups. He also had primary responsibility for the assimilation of the playbook and all computer drawings, as well as all practice scripts and game plans.

Dunn was a walk-on at North Carolina from 2001-03, playing quarterback and tight end before a neck injury ended his career. After the injury, he served as a student assistant (2004) before being promoted to an offensive quality control coach (2005) and finally an offensive graduate assistant (2006-07). In 2007, he helped WR Hakeem Nicks earn first-team all-ACC honors.

Dunn and his wife, Lindsay, have two children, Carter and Emerson.

Reaction Score
I'm nervous about this hire. No OC experience and no experience recruiting. Nothing against the man, I hope he does well, just not the splash I was looking for.

Reaction Score
I'm nervous about this hire. No OC experience and no experience recruiting. Nothing against the man, I hope he does well, just not the splash I was looking for.

He has plenty of recruiting experience it’s the lack of play calling and OC experience that’s a downer for me. All we can do is hope he works out but this will only excite the Confident Carl’s of the world who would crap rainbows if we hired Kim Jung Un as OC.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
He has plenty of recruiting experience it’s the lack of play calling and OC experience that’s a downer for me. All we can do is hope he works out but this will only excite the Confident Carl’s of the world who would crap rainbows if we hired Kim Jung Un as OC.
I heard he was the first call... already busy

Reaction Score
Be wary of passing judgment on this guy, he may have a lot of the needed skills. But UConn also may want to hire an associate or assistant coach who has only recruiting responsibilities. Just a thought. Recruiting has been a weakness for a long time.

Reaction Score
This is a sad hire
Disagree.
At the end of the day you have to get your first dance at calling plays somewhere. What I’m pleased about is his resume. Seems like he’s been around football on multiple levels and understands the game.
The crazy part is you’re saying it’s a sad hire (I get it- you’re a fan) but the person who hired him, the HC, who I’m assuming you believe kinda knows what he’s doing seems to think he’s fit to take over that position.
Just think of this. Lashlee, before he became what you know him to be, OC’d his first season at Samford which by all accounts he improved that offense substantially. That’s because he was smart and knew how to attack defenses. Same as this guy.
Give it a chance. He likes tempo.
I like it

Reaction Score
John Dunn Named Offensive Coordinator

Some encouraging words and phrases in the press release here…

"His philosophy of being a multiple, no huddle offense that ATTACKS using multiple tempos, personnel groupings and formations defines our vision offensively. His NFL experience will allow us to grow our passing game and also aid in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes. John is a proven recruiter and evaluator and has recruited in the areas where we will be recruiting heavily. I’m really excited about having John on board and look forward to what we will be accomplishing as we move forward.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom