Week of 2/5 Other Games | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Week of 2/5 Other Games

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Couple of thoughts. First off, the tone in the OP seems to suggest that a lot of ticky-tack stuff was called in our game vs PC. I disagree. From what I saw, refs were calling actual fouls for the most part. And they could've called more. We've seen what a ref show looks like, and the PC game was not that. It was physical and sloppy.

As there was another foul fest game right before ours, any "conspiracy" vs UConn is out. My guess would be that the BE offices didn't like having a 46 and a 48 foul game played on the same night and asked the refs to not be so quick on the whistle to improve the viewing experience.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Didnt watch the game but saw the boxscore this morning. Only 22 fouls called. I think storrsroars might be right. Oduro also took Kalkbrenners lunch money. Kalkbrenner seems to have regressed

Reaction Score
Sometimes it is just the team. From my seats in the game against Providence I watched Providence grab and hold on every cut from the opening tip, and it never stopped. The refs eventually have to call it and they did. A team like Providence knows it has to do that against UConns offense to even have a sniff.

Reaction Score
Carter seems to have a fondness for theatrics. Kid lives on the floor. I don't get it.. because he's good enough not to need it. The refs may just be taking notice. Scheierman pushed off and Carter tried to sell a clothesline from the Undertaker. That game should have ended with Ashford at the free throw line in regulation, but the refs swallowed that whistle too.

Reaction Score
There’s a lot of good centers in this conference but Oduro has to be a serious contender for BE 1st team

His conference games this year -

32/10 against Creighton
18/12 @ against Nova
20/9 @ UConn
22 against GTown
16/8 @ Seton Hall
17/9 @ DePaul
20 against Xavier
2 really bad games..
23 against Seton Hall
19/14 against Butler
10/9 against Marquette
14/9 against Seton Hall

Reaction Score
All you need to do is watch the final play of regulation. Ashworth gets fouled twice. Both teams had multiple fouls to give. Pierre fouls him intentionally, no call. He dribbles into the lane and gets hit hard on an attempted winning shot, but he misses no call.

This is exactly how the whole game was called. Trey Alexander was clearing out defenders with his right shoulder all game. To his credit, he hammered Ticket Gaines early and kept doing it because it was never called.

Reaction Score
Very hard to call a game where you make the right calls every time with consistency. If every contact was called, teams would be have nobody left of the floor. It’s the nature of the beast. My beef is the lack of consistency in approach across the league. The BE commissioner’ office continues to run the conference like Friday night church basketball.

Reaction Score
So technically they should have reversed the call, dead ball, and it goes by the possession arrow? They should have let them decide it in OT so both fan bases would be forced to endure this mess.
yes that is correct, it should have been dead ball and then possession to whoever had the arrow, but there would have been time left for one last shot in regulation.

Reaction Score
So the refs don't have to "take control of the game"? That's refreshing, since many refs seem to think they are the game
the Creighton vs PC game went the complete other way and they let game-changing fouls go uncalled

Reaction Score
Couple of thoughts. First off, the tone in the OP seems to suggest that a lot of ticky-tack stuff was called in our game vs PC. I disagree. From what I saw, refs were calling actual fouls for the most part. And they could've called more. We've seen what a ref show looks like, and the PC game was not that. It was physical and sloppy.

As there was another foul fest game right before ours, any "conspiracy" vs UConn is out. My guess would be that the BE offices didn't like having a 46 and a 48 foul game played on the same night and asked the refs to not be so quick on the whistle to improve the viewing experience.
I think the biggest issue in the Providence game was PC came in playing incredibly physical and the refs let them play at the beginning, so both teams started doing it, and then the refs realized it was getting out of control, so started calling it closer. At that point there was no putting the toothpaste back in the tube and gameplay devolved to a foul fest (part of that being it was the only way for PC to have a chance to win). The refs tend to really struggle finding that line early, which makes the officiating wildly inconsistent within individual games.

Reaction Score
A few weeks back I was torn between rooting for Nova so they could make the Big East better and rooting against them so they'd definitely fire Neptune and be truly better long term. It's now all-in on Option 2. They're terrible and need to just keep losing.
High-key one of the most disappointing teams in college basketball this year. Weren't they ranked around #20 to start the year? They were supposed to be the 4th BE national contender. Now they're struggling to finish .500. Yikes.

Reaction Score
I think the biggest issue in the Providence game was PC came in playing incredibly physical and the refs let them play at the beginning, so both teams started doing it, and then the refs realized it was getting out of control, so started calling it closer. At that point there was no putting the toothpaste back in the tube and gameplay devolved to a foul fest (part of that being it was the only way for PC to have a chance to win). The refs tend to really struggle finding that line early, which makes the officiating wildly inconsistent within individual games.
And somehow it almost always benefits the opposition, where they get away with murder early and then both teams end up in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
A few weeks back I was torn between rooting for Nova so they could make the Big East better and rooting against them so they'd definitely fire Neptune and be truly better long term. It's now all-in on Option 2. They're terrible and need to just keep losing.
It's unfortunate because I don't like rooting for people to get fired and I am not necessarily doing so in Kyle Neptune's case. However, I was annoyed that Villanova couldn't even get a shot off in the final 18 seconds of the game last night against Xavier. They had no plan B for that play as they were hunting for the tying 3 point play instead of going for a 2 pt basket. If there was only 4 seconds left on the clock, fine, they have to shoot the 3. But there was 18 seconds-trying to extend the game should have been the plan.

Nova has too much talent to be sitting outside of the NCAAT. I am not saying they should be a national title contender, but they should be a team that shouldn't struggle just to make the NCAAT.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's unfortunate because I don't like rooting for people to get fired and I am not necessarily doing so in Kyle Neptune's case. However, I was annoyed that Villanova couldn't even get a shot off in the final 18 seconds of the game last night against Xavier. They had no plan B for that play as they were hunting for the tying 3 point play instead of going for a 2 pt basket. If there was only 4 seconds left on the clock, fine, they have to shoot the 3. But there was 18 seconds-trying to extend the game should have been the plan.

Nova has too much talent to be sitting outside of the NCAAT. I am not saying they should be a national title contender, but they should be a team that shouldn't struggle just to make the NCAAT.

Villanova is loaded. Jay Wright would have this team on the fringe of the Top 10. A coach has to straight up suck to have a team this good only one game over .500 a week into February. I used to think Neptune was kind of like Lappas, just not big time enough for the bright lights of a Top 15-20 job like Villanova. But Lappas was at least a good X's and O's coach that just had a tendency to choke. Neptune kind of just sucks.

I don't think of it so much as rooting for someone to be fired as Neptune keeping the job and screwing it up is preventing a more capable and qualified person from succeeding in that job.

Reaction Score
And somehow it almost always benefits the opposition, where they get away with murder early and then both teams end up in foul trouble.
It helps the opposition in such that it’s a great way to muck up an offense like UConn runs and is far less impactful for some less talented teams. That’s a strategic decision vs. some nefarious plot by the refs, but the inconsistency of the refs certainly contributes to the effectiveness of it in many games.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
the Creighton vs PC game went the complete other way and they let game-changing fouls go uncalled

OK, still better than calling 50 fouls

I suppose something in the middle would be best

Reaction Score
I love mid-major basketball.

Then you must love the first week of conference tournaments in March. Those are all mid-major tournaments before the major conference tournaments.

I do have to confess I think it's interesting seeing the smaller venues get loud and rowdy during the mid-major conference tournaments and then seeing who won those tournaments playing the big boys in the first round of the NCAAT. In those first round NCAAT games I would always say to myself, "oh that's that team that won that conference tournament in that loud high school size gym playing Xavier now in the first round". That's what I said last year when Kennessaw State almost beat Xavier last year. The difference between a 16 seed and at 14th seed is big.

Reaction Score
Then you must love the first week of conference tournaments in March. Those are all mid-major tournaments before the major conference tournaments.

I do have to confess I think it's interesting seeing the smaller venues get loud and rowdy during the mid-major conference tournaments and then seeing who won those tournaments playing the big boys in the first round of the NCAAT. In those first round NCAAT games I would always say to myself, "oh that's that team that won that conference tournament in that loud high school size gym playing Xavier now in the first round". That's what I said last year when Kennessaw State almost beat Xavier last year. The difference between a 16 seed and at 14th seed is big.
Yes.

Any conference tournament that plays at home courts sets the stage for wonderful college basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom