Week of 1/1/24 Other Games | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Week of 1/1/24 Other Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like Carter as much as one can like a PeeCee player - certainly gifted play but doesn’t trash much and stays calm. Cool you got to play with him. I’m sure there’s some stories there.
Yeah it was a lot of fun! I got to play with a couple of the guys that left when Frank Martin was fired at South Carolina. Erik Stevenson, James Reese, and Devin Carter. Those guys are all so good and it was really awesome to have the opportunity as a hoops fan to play with them and see how good D1 players actually are.

I remember saying I didn't think that Devin would be a good pickup for PC when he announced his commitment there. I couldn't have been more wrong lol

Reaction Score
Call it sour grapes.

But Corey Floyd Jr is pretty bad
He’s very bad. Gotta assume they’ll start to tail off his PT. The way it happened sucked but I think it’s pretty clear at this point that if CFJ didn’t transfer when he did, there would have been a mutual parting of ways the next offseason. Just not a BE-level player.

Reaction Score
Elsewhere UCF putting up a fight against Kansas. Dickinson not getting the Kansas whistle and in foul trouble with a lot of time left.

Reaction Score
He's gotten SO much better since his days at South Carolina. Always was a plus defender and excellent athlete but he's a lot more skilled than he used to be. I used to play pickup with him a lot and his shot and ability off the dribble has improved immensely. Fun player to watch.
I love watching Carter play. His offense, like you said, is much improved. He and Posh are my favorite non-UConn players just because they are such menacing players on D

caw

Reaction Score
I love Clingan, but Edey is a different animal. He had a real off night last night and put up 15/7 and 2 blocks on 6/10 from the floor. He’s also just quite a bit bigger than even Clingan. There’s no one in college basketball that is effectively guarding him 1-on-1 without throwing a ton of help there.

Edey is stronger and taller. Clingan is way more mobile. Defensively Edey is a sieve in comparison. Offensively Edey is better because he goes strong at the rim and has a pretty good hook shot.

Not for nothing but Hunter Dickinson has gone head to head against Edey three times. Their individual matchup could be described as even in a very favorable read for Edey.

Reaction Score
Miami and Clemson both lost, Miami to Louisville. The ACC...

This Is Fine GIF

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Welcome to the B12 UCF! Down goes Kansas

Our non-conference schedule looks worse every week. Texas is not a Top 25 team. Indiana just sucks. Kansas may just be one great player (McCullar) rather than a great team. UNC and Gonzaga are good, so it's not all bad.

• Haha
Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Our non-conference schedule looks worse every week. Texas is not a Top 25 team. Indiana just sucks. Kansas may just be one great player (McCullar) rather than a great team. UNC and Gonzaga are good, so it's not all bad.
That’s more so a symptom of the state of CBB. Outside of 4-5 teams everyone is mid. The entire top 5 sans us lost today

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Marquette trying to foul and refs don’t give it and butler blows the layup. Crazy.

Reaction Score
Marquette going through the same January slump we did. Gotta have faith if you’re MU, Kolek won’t be this bad all year and they’ll figure out a 3rd scoring option come March. I’m not worried about them. It’ll be a good resume builder for Butler who is on the outside looking in right now though

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Marquette trying to foul and refs don’t give it and butler blows the layup. Crazy.

I can't believe I am saying this about a Shaka Smart team, but a few of those Marquette players looked like they had quit on the game with about 3-4 minutes left.

Reaction Score
Marquette going through the same January slump we did. Gotta have faith if you’re MU, Kolek won’t be this bad all year and they’ll figure out a 3rd scoring option come March. I’m not worried about them. It’ll be a good resume builder for Butler who is on the outside looking in right now though
Thad Matta is definitely making Butler good again.

Reaction Score
Looking like 6 BE teams are tourney bound.

Us
Marquette
Creighton
St. Johns
Vilanova
Butler/Seton Hall/Providence

Not bad considering we were looking at 4 at the start of BE play

caw

Reaction Score
I can't believe I am saying this about a Shaka Smart team, but a few of those Marquette players looked like they had quit on the game with about 3-4 minutes left.

Prosper gave them a ton of defensive energy in the starting lineup and they are missing that and waiting for someone to step up there.

caw

Reaction Score
Looking like 6 BE teams are tourney bound.

Us
Marquette
Creighton
St. Johns
Vilanova
Butler/Seton Hall/Providence

Not bad considering we were looking at 4 at the start of BE play

Not sure PC has a shot with their situation now. Butler and SHU are both relatively impressive so far in BE play.

Reaction Score
ansas, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Marquette, Clemson - ranked teams taking the L train

Reaction Score
Elsewhere UCF putting up a fight against Kansas. Dickinson not getting the Kansas whistle and in foul trouble with a lot of time left.
Refs are bad in Florida too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That’s more so a symptom of the state of CBB. Outside of 4-5 teams everyone is mid. The entire top 5 sans us lost today
Over the past 10 years, the only NC that wasn't in top six of combined O & D on KenPom was us in '14. We were 16th best in terms of balance offense & defense.

During that time, the team that has the lowest combined O & D ranking won the NC 4x. In '15, Duke was 3rd. In '17 and '22, the NC winners were 4th best. In '21, Baylor was 6th. Seven of those teams were in the top 11 on defense. All of them (except us in '14) were top 9 offenses.

Right now, Arizona holds the #1 spot for combined O & D, followed by Houston, Auburn, Purdue, UNC and Tenn. We're currently #12.

It may well be that once DC returns, UConn will play the back half of the season as a top defensive team and we can win an NC with a defense that's not ranked that high over the course of a full year. But for now, until that happens, I'll say that there are numerous teams more balanced than ours - more than just 4 or 5. So let's not count our chickens until DC returns and we see what he's got.

caw

Reaction Score
Over the past 10 years, the only NC that wasn't in top six of combined O & D on KenPom was us in '14. We were 16th best in terms of balance offense & defense.

During that time, the team that has the lowest combined O & D ranking won the NC 4x. In '15, Duke was 3rd. In '17 and '22, the NC winners were 4th best. In '21, Baylor was 6th. Seven of those teams were in the top 11 on defense. All of them (except us in '14) were top 9 offenses.

Right now, Arizona holds the #1 spot for combined O & D, followed by Houston, Auburn, Purdue, UNC and Tenn. We're currently #12.

It may well be that once DC returns, UConn will play the back half of the season as a top defensive team and we can win an NC with a defense that's not ranked that high over the course of a full year. But for now, until that happens, I'll say that there are numerous teams more balanced than ours - more than just 4 or 5. So let's not count our chickens until DC returns and we see what he's got.

UConn's numbers are a mess because they have played maybe 5.5 games with a fully healthy team so far this year. I say maybe because there were at least 3 games there where Castle was on minutes restrictions. He's only really started to play over 20 minutes like we all expect the last three games, games Clingan was out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom