Week 2 Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Week 2 Rankings

Reaction Score
That's not how it work

It is though. In any given week, if a team has the resume to be in the top 25 and someone else hasn't proven it, then they drop out. It's not that complicated.

Do you think if Duke is ranked #6 and spends all season playing teams ranked #300 or worse, they'll stay in the top 25? Because they don't have any bad losses? That makes no sense. And while it's a hyperbole, that's exactly the logic you're suggesting.

Not really going to discuss this anymore but I'm pretty shocked by how stupid your take is. No one has had any losses of note, and no one has any decent wins yet... so this is irrelevant in the end.

Reaction Score
Where do you think we’ll end up? Seth Davis doesn’t even have us ranked because we “haven’t played a good team”, yet he has Houston who went to OT with Hofstra, OSU at 14 when they could barely beat 2 garbage teams, and Maryland who struggled in all 3 games against bad teams as well.

Still seem to get no respect even though we demolished bad teams like a great team is expected to do.

Prediction: 23
We should be: 13
Boom. Up to 23.

Reaction Score
It is though. In any given week, if a team has the resume to be in the top 25 and someone else does, then they drop out. It's not that complicated. You think if Duke is ranked #6 and spends all season playing teams ranked #300 or worse, they'll stay in the top 25? Because they don't have any losses? That makes no sense.

Not really going to discuss this anymore but I'm pretty shocked by how stupid your take is.
There are no resumes, teams have played 1 or 2 games. There was no way we were moving out of the top 25, we were moving up a spot because Florida State got blown out by an unranked team and that's what happened. You don't get penalized after your first couple of games for blasting your 2 cupcake opponents.

It's shocking how stupid your take is on this

Reaction Score
It's not about being PENALIZED dude. If we have essentially no resume, and someone else ranked #26 has a QUALITY WIN, why would they not move up past us? IF, do you understand IF? No one has played that game, but IF they did? Why is this that hard to get?
Thought you weren't going to discuss this anymore...

Reaction Score
It is though. In any given week, if a team has the resume to be in the top 25 and someone else hasn't proven it, then they drop out. It's not that complicated.

Do you think if Duke is ranked #6 and spends all season playing teams ranked #300 or worse, they'll stay in the top 25? Because they don't have any bad losses? That makes no sense. And while it's a hyperbole, that's exactly the logic you're suggesting.

Not really going to discuss this anymore but I'm pretty shocked by how stupid your take is. No one has had any losses of note, and no one has any decent wins yet... so this is irrelevant in the end.
That's exactly how it always works for the AP and Coaches polls. It's why they're garbage.

Theoretically they should consider the things you mention and some individual voters do, but there are too many people who don't follow all the teams so they end up just checking recent results and you end up with the average ballot being "did you win? great you stay the same or move up if the people ahead of you lost. did you lose? You drop commensurate with how bad the team you lost to was from 1-10 spots."

So if you play nobodies and win, you end up steadily moving up in the polls. Maybe being jumped once or twice, but still mostly climbing when others lose.

Reaction Score
Are you implying a team can't drop in the rankings without losing, @superjohn? I am sure you've seen instances of that happening. So, if you do acknowledge that it can happen, what are you arguing, then?
Teams have played 1 or 2 games. UConn had zero chance of dropping out of the top 25.

We know the games that were played so far and we knew UConn would move up a spot because of Florida State.

pierogiscri

the food guy
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Teams have played 1 or 2 games. UConn had zero chance of dropping out of the top 25.

We know the games that were played so far and we knew UConn would move up a spot because of Florida State.
But the scenario that started this conversation was a hypothetical in which one or more undefeated teams jump over another undefeated team. You responded to that saying, "That's not how it works." But it does sometimes work like that.

If someone said UConn will fall out the rankings this week because they played weak opponents, you could reasonably tell that person that it doesn't work that way. No one said that, however.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
We should move up a spot or three. We did what we were supposed to do - blow out bums. Towards the end of the Ollie era we were losing these games.

Reaction Score
But the scenario that started this conversation was a hypothetical in which one or more undefeated teams jump over another undefeated team. You responded to that saying, "That's not how it works." But it does sometimes work like that.

If someone said UConn will fall out the rankings this week because they played weak opponents, you could reasonably tell that person that it doesn't work that way. No one said that, however.

Don't bother. He's being purposefully obtuse.

Reaction Score

Yes, it has happened a lot. While not only 300+ teams, George Washington got to 6th in the country with playing absolutely no one. Gonzaga use to do it, Butler got to the top 10 playing basically all teams in the 200s. If you keep winning you keep moving up.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
I hope we run Auburn out of the gym. I find that staff/program insufferable & would love to ruin their Thanksgiving Eve.

Reaction Score

Bruh! We`ve literally seen Duke lose and still move up in the rankings!

Reaction Score
Not even the homer in me when I say this, but we actually have the deepest front court in the country. Jon Rothstein even said so himself 2 days ago - and he said "it's not even particularly close".

We just demolished 2 bad teams which is what great teams are expected to do. Half the ranked teams this week were struggling to even score any points against crap mid/low majors. We haven't even seen what Hawkins can bring yet, but if he's everything we've been promised, we will be winning the Big East this year.

If you don't think this team is more talented than last year, idk what to tell ya. We added a top 10 recruiting class + Akok, returned BE DPOY and BE 6th man of the year. Sanogo looks like a first team all BE, Cole & Gaff look awesome. Martin looks great.

that’s great, let’s play good teams and beat them.

Reaction Score
If we're at #24 and somebody ranked say, 25-35 gets a quality win, they could bump us out. They aren't unranking some top 15 team if they haven't had any meaningful games. This isn't that hard to get dude. This is my exact quote:

"If a couple other teams have some good wins I wouldn't be surprised to see us drop out"

IF lower ranked teams get wins and move into the top 25, SOMEONE has to drop out. That's obviously going to be the teams in the 20-25 range if there isn't any other useful games to judge how good they are. Can't believe this is somehow a controversial point. It's common sense.

Do you understand what "if" means? Or what a parameter is? I don't have a clue if any lower ranked teams have a quality win or not. I set a parameter for the argument: IF a lower ranked team gets a quality win, THEN UConn may drop out of the rankings. Saying "well 'if' hasn't happened" is a bad faith argument and irrelevant.

If you want to discuss what lower ranked teams have or have not had quality wins, feel free to. But it's not a relevant point to the premise of my argument.

A+ post

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom