Week 18 preview (Mar. 7-13) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Week 18 preview (Mar. 7-13)

Reaction Score
Wow, that UCF/USF was maybe the roughest, most physical game I've watched all season. :eek::eek::eek: There was a little extra juju coming from both sides. Not the prettiest game offensively but couldn't ask for better entertainment.

A 4 point lead in rivalry game usually feels like nothing, but once UCF got up 44-40 with multiple minutes to go in the 4Q, the game already felt over in a way. It sounds crazy to say, but the way the game was going, you just knew USF wasn't gonna score two buckets against UCF's defense. Kaba had an epic block on Mununga to disrupt an otherwise very well drawn up baseline out of bounds play that would have brought USF within 2 points.

Depending on who ends up as the 2-seeds, I could definitely see 7-seeded UCF giving LSU and Iowa State some trouble. Maybe even Louisville...
Actually, I'd be interested in seeing this match up. If it's a defensive battle, there could be some interesting match ups.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Oklahoma puts away upstart Kansas 80-68 in the Big 12 quarterfinals. I'm really impressed with how well Oklahoma has done this year, especially after losing Ana Llanusa to injury. Madi Williams has been awesome; she was on triple double watch in this one.

I really thought Baranczyk deserved Big 12 COY, but the award went to Schneider of Kansas.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Oklahoma puts away upstart Kansas 80-68 in the Big 12 quarterfinals. I'm really impressed with how well Oklahoma has done this year, especially after losing Ana Llanusa to injury. Madi Williams has been awesome; she was on triple double watch in this one.

I really thought Baranczyk deserved Big 12 COY, but the award went to Schneider of Kansas.
It seemed Kansas missed 15 shots right at the rim in that 4th quarter alone. They got the lead down to 6...but those missed bunnies, affected by tenacious Oklahoma defense, prevented them from getting any closer.

Kansas has come a long way, though. They were irrelevant in WCBB for many years after Marian Washington retired..

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
It seemed Kansas missed 15 shots right at the rim in that 4th quarter alone. They got the lead down to 6...but those missed bunnies, affected by tenacious Oklahoma defense, prevented them from getting any closer.

Kansas has come a long way, though. They were irrelevant in WCBB for many years after Marian Washington retired..
The "tenacious Oklahoma defense" you speak of is rated 208th in the nation by Massey. :rolleyes: I think it's more a case of Kansas being a decent but not great team. But I'll grant you that they've come a long way this year.

Reaction Score
Couldn't have been more than a few hundred fans for the UCF/USF game.
Two florida teams playing in Fort Worth was not much of a draw I guess.

Reaction Score
1pm MST tip as Jack's take on Bobcats in a Big Sky semi.

Battle of PGs - first team All Big Sky Darian White v third team Regan Schenck.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Depending on who ends up as the 2-seeds, I could definitely see 7-seeded UCF giving LSU and Iowa State some trouble. Maybe even Louisville...

Maybe they will send them to Storrs for a possible renewal of the UCF-UCONN lovefest

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
For the 1 bid leagues, I have kind of a love/hate thing for conference tourneys. For teams that excel during the regular season, it can make all of that irrelevant. Toledo was 19-1 in the MAC and 26-5 overall. Today they fell in a semifinal game, not sure if they are in the running for an at large bid. Looking at their schedule, nothing really there in OOC wins.

edit--it will be Buffalo vs. Ball St. for the auto bid

Plebe

Reaction Score
For the 1 bid leagues, I have kind of a love/hate thing for conference tourneys. For teams that excel during the regular season, it can make all of that irrelevant. Toledo was 19-1 in the MAC and 26-5 overall. Today they fell in a semifinal game, not sure if they are in the running for an at large bid. Looking at their schedule, nothing really there in OOC wins.

Definitely no at-large bid for Toledo.

I know it's disappointing for them, but I'm at peace with it. You either build an at-large resume through the OOC or it's only fair for the conference tournament to function as a play-in. They still have a regular season title banner, and they still have the WNIT to look forward to.

Reaction Score

I agree. In competitive mid-major leagues without a dominant power, it’s even tougher. I don’t believe the MAC has produced the same regular season and tournament champion since the year CMU won and made the Sweet 16 (alongside Buffalo, who they beat in the title game).

It’s sometimes hard to see the 8th-place SEC or 7th-place ACC team sneak in at the expense of a team like Toledo — but in an overall head-to-head, that P5 team probably wins the matchup more often than not and so I get why the selection process plays out as it does.

Reaction Score
Bobcats dance as Darian White shows her credentials as the first team Big Sky PG.

Jack's fall 75-64 after digging themselves into a hole with a 6 point second quarter and shoot 5 for 28 from threeland.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sorry @azfan but Montana St. is gonna take out NAU, barring a miracle in the last 20 seconds. But MSU's Kola Bad Bear might be the coolest name in all of wcbb, so at least there's that.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Maine and Albany just getting started for the America East crown. #1 vs. #2 seed, haven't been too many conference tourneys w/ the top 2 seeds advancing to the final.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Maine and Albany just getting started for the America East crown. #1 vs. #2 seed, haven't been too many conference tourneys w/ the top 2 seeds advancing to the final.
It helps that the high seeds get home court advantage.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It helps that the high seeds get home court advantage.
Yeah, there's not much of that anymore. Maybe they can join the dozen other conferences who have their tourneys in Vegas (okay, there aren't quite that many).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sorry @azfan but Montana St. is gonna take out NAU, barring a miracle in the last 20 seconds. But MSU's Kola Bad Bear might be the coolest name in all of wcbb, so at least there's that.

With a name like that, seems that she should play for the flagship Montana school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmed69

Top Bottom