Week 10 - Jan 8 to 14 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Week 10 - Jan 8 to 14

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Purdue with 14,886 in attendance to witness the CC show. Iowa is going to smash the total attendance records ( not home attendance) this year.

Big Ten fans are into this. Gonna have monster tv viewers too. Huge benefits to the conference IMHO
What else does the Big Ten have to cheer? I mean Indiana is ok, tOSU is inconsistent, Maryland is down so what’s left? “Hey come see Caitlin Clark go off on the home team and witness history”.

Which, by the way for as great as CC is (and she is great) her team is so overrated that if they played any other top 10 team, my view is they would lose. Her supporting cast is either still developing or just plain average at best. Martin, Marshal, Davis, Affolter? Only Stuelke is legit enough to start on any other top team.

Reaction Score
Purdue with 14,886 in attendance to witness the CC show. Iowa is going to smash the total attendance records ( not home attendance) this year.

Big Ten fans are into this. Gonna have monster tv viewers too. Huge benefits to the conference IMHO

The attendance for Iowa’s true road games this season highlights the unprecedented nature of the Clark circus this year. Iowa is at 11,500+ for true road games average attendance, and will go higher. If I have my figures right, none of the great Tennessee attendance teams with Catchings, Holdsclaw, Candace, or Kara Lawson, or the Taurasi 2004 UCONN attendance juggernaut, or the recent South Carolina teams, have ever hit 9,000 for a true road attendance average. Now some of this is explained by big BIG arenas, but a lot of this is Clark.

Reaction Score
What else does the Big Ten have to cheer? I mean Indiana is ok, tOSU is inconsistent, Maryland is down so what’s left? “Hey come see Caitlin Clark go off on the home team and witness history”.

Which, by the way for as great as CC is (and she is great) her team is so overrated that if they played any other top 10 team, my view is they would lose. Her supporting cast is either still developing or just plain average at best. Martin, Marshal, Davis, Affolter? Only Stuelke is legit enough to start on any other top team.
I think Iowa is overrated as well, but I completely disagree that they couldn't beat another Top Ten team. When Clark is on the floor their team is greater than the sum of the parts.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Ha, well ironically Iowa is doing better than they were last year at this time. In early January 2023 they were 11-4 and ranked #16, and most people had written them off as a serious contender. Somehow that was the same team that streaked to the Final Four and slayed the SC giant.

As a wise friend recently reminded me, “perspective” ;)

Plebe

Reaction Score
The attendance for Iowa’s true road games this season highlights the unprecedented nature of the Clark circus this year. Iowa is at 11,500+ for true road games average attendance, and will go higher. If I have my figures right, none of the great Tennessee attendance teams with Catchings, Holdsclaw, Candace, or Kara Lawson, or the Taurasi 2004 UCONN attendance juggernaut, or the recent South Carolina teams, have ever hit 9,000 for a true road attendance average. Now some of this is explained by big BIG arenas, but a lot of this is Clark.
I would venture to say it's almost all Clark. How many road arenas has she sold out so far? That's a stat I'd like to keep track of.

The past 10 years have seen some remarkable individual talents, including generational stars and all-time record-setters, but I don't think any of them had the fan draw on the road that Clark is having. But yeah I would love to see the actual numbers on this.

Reaction Score
Agreed. We are all about home average but most SEC fans don't wanna see us come to town. We'll do ok at Tennessee and LSU. but we don't have a chance of selling out any other conference road games. Tonight's game at Mizzou might have decent attendance because they hate us and have a history of beating us at their place.

I wonder what the all tme TOTAL annual attendance record is for a team? Tennessee? UConn?

Reaction Score
I think Iowa is overrated as well, but I completely disagree that they couldn't beat another Top Ten team. When Clark is on the floor their team is greater than the sum of the parts.

This. The top teams don't look invincible. #3 might be a bit high for Iowa but they are still a top ten team and a Final Four contender. On a given night (when Martin/Marshall/Stuelke are contributing) they could beat anyone.

Reaction Score
Agreed. We are all about home average but most SEC fans don't wanna see us come to town. We'll do ok at Tennessee and LSU. but we don't have a chance of selling out any other conference road games. Tonight's game at Mizzou might have decent attendance because they hate us and have a history of beating us at their place.

I wonder what the all tme TOTAL annual attendance record is for a team? Tennessee? UConn?
I believe Tennessee in 1998-99 with average all games attendance of 12,164 is the only WBB team ever to hit the 12,000 mark.

Reaction Score
I would venture to say it's almost all Clark. How many road arenas has she sold out so far? That's a stat I'd like to keep track of.

The past 10 years have seen some remarkable individual talents, including generational stars and all-time record-setters, but I don't think any of them had the fan draw on the road that Clark is having. But yeah I would love to see the actual numbers on this.

It is a phenomenon. I have fellow Cyclones arguing about it all of the time because they seem to hate on Clark and the attention she gets to the silly point of trying to deny that she is really a big national draw and she's only a big deal in Iowa with the local media fawning over her. They just come off as being really stupid. Weeknight Gopher game here in Mpls versus Iowa is sold out. Good WBB area and all but all of those seats weren't sold just to see Mara Braun versus Iowa.

Granted, there's a lot of hype but Clark made the hype, the hype didn't come first and make Clark or Iowa. Taking a step back from the rivalry aspect, I find it all entertaining as heck.

Reaction Score
It is a phenomenon. I have fellow Cyclones arguing about it all of the time because they seem to hate on Clark and the attention she gets to the silly point of trying to deny that she is really a big national draw and she's only a big deal in Iowa with the local media fawning over her. They just come off as being really stupid. Weeknight Gopher game here in Mpls versus Iowa is sold out. Good WBB area and all but all of those seats weren't sold just to see Mara Braun versus Iowa.

Granted, there's a lot of hype but Clark made the hype, the hype didn't come first and make Clark or Iowa. Taking a step back from the rivalry aspect, I find it all entertaining as heck.
Our fans argue vehemently that Dabo Sweeney is the worst coach in college football

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ha, well ironically Iowa is doing better than they were last year at this time. In early January 2023 they were 11-4 and ranked #16, and most people had written them off as a serious contender. Somehow that was the same team that streaked to the Final Four and slayed the SC giant.

As a wise friend recently reminded me, “perspective” ;)
I'm really surprised they only have one loss as well. I posted earlier this year that I expected them to have more losses early in the season than last year while they experimented with new lineup combinations. Shows how much I know. I did also say that I expected them to be dangerous again in the post season....hope I'm at least correct on that. Their experience has been more of an asset than I predicted.

Reaction Score
Corrected. Though I generally ent call him anything but “Sweeney-hawk-spit” locally
Duly noted ;) My NCAAF coaching knowledge isn't that extensive and I wasn't sure if there was another Sweeney who is currently coaching.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I'm rooting for UNC win today against FSU, sorry @triaddukefan. A win will help UConn in the Net and hopefully the polls.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Well, just like clockwork, per the ACC bylaws UNC was overdue for an embarrassing loss and they certainly delivered. Add Florida State to the rapidly growing list of ACC teams who did ZILCH in the OOC (best win was over Tennessee) but then lo and behold suddenly get “quality wins” in January and February.

And people wonder how this conference gets 8 or 9 teams in smdh.
I get that hating on the ACC is part of your schtick, but can you expand on why? #20 losing away at #21 by 8 is hardly an embarrassing loss (and Massey had them as the underdog). The ACC had 3 teams in the elite eight last season and has averaged a quarter of elite eight teams the past four years. I guess my perception is the ACC has had a lot of very good teams but very few championship contenders, but it's not clear why that's inconsistent with 8 to 9 tourney teams in a 15 team league.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
04074b3c1460e1c5e66ec34571a3cf0f.jpg

Plebe

Reaction Score
I get that hating on the ACC is part of your schtick, but can you expand on why? #20 losing away at #21 by 8 is hardly an embarrassing loss (and Massey had them as the underdog). The ACC had 3 teams in the elite eight last season and has averaged a quarter of elite eight teams the past four years. I guess my perception is the ACC has had a lot of very good teams but very few championship contenders, but it's not clear why that's inconsistent with 8 to 9 tourney teams in a 15 team league.
I deleted my post after learning of Latson's injury late in the game, which I did not see. Schtick and injuries aren't a good mix.

Not an embarrassing loss, obviously, for the #38 team in the NET to lose on the road to the #39 team.

Congrats to the Seminoles on their first top 50 win of the season. I hope Latson will be okay; she's a tremendous player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vandy 20 point win at Kentucky! Tough Feb sked to come but at 16-1, postseason all but guaranteed.

Tenn about to complete yet another comeback victory over Fla. I bc don’t know if the Vols oversleep before every game or Harper gives the best 1/2 time speeches, but they’ve been doing this a lot.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Vandy 20 point win at Kentucky! Tough Feb sked to come but at 15-1, postseason all but guaranteed.

Tenn about to complete yet another comeback victory over Fla. I bc don’t know if the Vols oversleep before every game or Harper gives the best 1/2 time speeches, but they’ve been doing this a lot.
Don't look now but Vanderbilt and Tennessee could conceivably be both undefeated in conference when they meet in Knoxville in 10 days.

Tennessee has the tougher schedule of the two before then, with road games at TAMU and MSU, which by SEC standards count as tough games.

Vandy, meanwhile, has home games against Mizzou and Auburn.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
F$U almost tried to give the game away. Up by 21 in the 3rd.... I was getting kinda nervous with about 5 minutes to go in the game. Good to see that F$U is good for something :rolleyes:

#25 for Chapel Hill was plagued with foul trouble... fouled out with a bit over five minutes to go in the game.

Tweet was deleted. Basically #25 called out the refs... said that since college players can't get fined she gave her opinion on the refs calls... called them (the calls) garbage.

Plebe

Reaction Score
#25 for Chapel Hill was plagued with foul trouble... fouled out with a bit over five minutes to go in the game.
Kelly got called for 2 fouls in the first 2 minutes of the game. Usually a bad sign.

She still scored 22 despite the foul trouble. It was Ustby, Donarski and Gakdeng who were disastrous on offense, going a combined 6 of 28.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
NC State made nearly 60% of its shots through 3 quarters of action and ran away from Virginia, 93-66 in an emphatic statement following its last-second loss to Virginia Tech on Sunday. 5 players reached double figures...with freshmen Zoe Brooks (19) and Laci Steele (13) setting career highs. State had 36 points in the paint and 36 fast break points. All 11 available players saw the floor tonight, with 10 scoring at least 1 point. NC State was also 19 of 23 from the FT line, and 10 of 23 from THREE. Mimi Collins was one rebound shy of a double-double.

NC State had 19 assists on 32 made baskets.

The first three quarters reminded me a lot of NC State's win over Colorado at the Paradise Jam in November. Except today, other players stepped up in place of the missing River Baldwin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom