We still have a long road ahead | The Boneyard

We still have a long road ahead

Reaction Score
Watching Kansas in the 2nd half shows how much we must improve for a NC. It also displayed what was (I think) our key weakness and one of their great strengths - quickness ending with a kickout for an easy 3. That also keeps the defense honest inside. Just imagine if the D could not converge on Adama.

Reaction Score
Sanogo also needs to learn how to dunk the ball. The amount of missed bunnies because of his refusal to dunk is so annoying. And then you watch a guy like Bacot, McCormack, or any number of bigs in this tournament all dunk the ball any chance they can.

Reaction Score
Sanogo is not the problem. I have no doubt he will improve on his weaknesses.

We obviously need better spacing, ball handling and guys that can create their own shots.

We also just need a change in mentality too. Our guys consistently play so damn tight and nervous that it leads to mistakes, hesitancy, and then panic.

Reaction Score
Sanogo also needs to learn how to dunk the ball. The amount of missed bunnies because of his refusal to dunk is so annoying. And then you watch a guy like Bacot, McCormack, or any number of bigs in this tournament all dunk the ball any chance they can.
And dunks are really worth 3pts. That inferred extra point advantage you get emotionally. Everyone reacts in polar opposite directions to get slammed on.

Reaction Score
Sanogo is not the problem. I have no doubt he will improve on his weaknesses.

We obviously need better spacing, ball handling and guys that can create their own shots.

We also just need a change in mentality too. Our guys consistently play so damn tight and nervous that it leads to mistakes, hesitancy, and then panic.
He's not the problem but his refusal (or inability?) to dunk leaves 4-6 points out there almost every game. Gotta clean that up

But yeah the spacing and having shooters is the key. Bacot was operating in 1v1 situations the entire time. Meanwhile Sanogo is putting up similar scoring numbers while constantly being double or triple teamed. If Sanogo is getting 1v1's, he's almost unstoppable. Hurley will get us the shooters but man it's frustrating to see how poorly our roster was constructed this year. A large part of it was due to loyalty to the older guys. They really just didn't fit on this team, even though they were decent players.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Watching Kansas in the 2nd half shows how much we must improve for a NC. It also displayed what was (I think) our key weakness and one of their great strengths - quickness ending with a kickout for an easy 3. That also keeps the defense honest inside. Just imagine if the D could not converge on Adama.
We didn't have enough shot creators or shooters. Hurley has really tried to address that second issue with the past two classes.

We'll see how he addresses the first. I am optimistic.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I mentioned this in other threads. Cole got very good this year at pulling up for the mid range when he started to penetrate to avoid the messy turnovers in the paint from the previous season. He also got good with interior passing when post defenders came to help. Cole wasn't ever good at penetrating and kicking out to a waiting wing. AJ was the only player on UConn who could make that play.

Reaction Score
“Refusal to dunk” might not be the best way to put it. I’m not sure if he has quick, explosive “ups.” Some guys do and some don’t. Going up off of two feet isn’t a matter of effort - it’s god-given ability for the most part. I’m not saying that he can/can’t, but when I watch him, I just don’t get the sense that he has that level of explosiveness that the guys who played last night have.

Reaction Score
Having more than one guy who can handle, shoot, and pass would be a start. Unfortunately, our current roster has literally zero. Probably should start there...
I constantly hear lack of shooting on this board but not having multiple guys who can handle and score off the bounce is far and away our biggest problem. Cole was legitimately the only guy on the entire team you could feel comfortable with handling the ball, that's unacceptable in year 4 and it kept this team from accomplishing more. Another guard or two who could handle and score the ball and this team could've made a run.

Reaction Score
“Refusal to dunk” might not be the best way to put it. I’m not sure if he has quick, explosive “ups.” Some guys do and some don’t. Going up off of two feet isn’t a matter of effort - it’s god-given ability for the most part. I’m not saying that he can/can’t, but when I watch him, I just don’t get the sense that he has that level of explosiveness that the guys who played last night have.

This. He's not a guy who just springs up like some of our bigs of the past. He needs time and that's why he goes soft.

Reaction Score
It would also be nice if Sanogo could develop a ten foot shot. Everyone expects him to just muscle it to the basket.

Reaction Score
He's not the problem but his refusal (or inability?) to dunk leaves 4-6 points out there almost every game. Gotta clean that up

But yeah the spacing and having shooters is the key. Bacot was operating in 1v1 situations the entire time. Meanwhile Sanogo is putting up similar scoring numbers while constantly being double or triple teamed. If Sanogo is getting 1v1's, he's almost unstoppable. Hurley will get us the shooters but man it's frustrating to see how poorly our roster was constructed this year. A large part of it was due to loyalty to the older guys. They really just didn't fit on this team, even though they were decent players.
Once he cleaned up his fouling somewhat, the hedging defense definitely puts miles on him running back and forth from the paint to the 3 line. Regardless of what you think of the way we high hedge, the extra energy expending by Adama doing that - has a price to pay on the offensive end.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It would also be nice if Sanogo could develop a ten foot shot. Everyone expects him to just muscle it to the basket.
He needs it if even wants to sniff the NBA

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He has it. He makes most of the ones he takes. It just wasn't our offense. You'll see him take more and even some 3's next year.
I constantly hear lack of shooting on this board but not having multiple guys who can handle and score off the bounce is far and away our biggest problem. Cole was legitimately the only guy on the entire team you could feel comfortable with handling the ball, that's unacceptable in year 4 and it kept this team from accomplishing more. Another guard or two who could handle and score the ball and this team could've made a run.
I think this exaggerates things a bit. Martin is as good a ball handler as Christian Braun is, the problem is that teams kept 2-3 guys in the lane against us. Jackson can get to the hole (what he does with it then is a different problem, but the ball handling is fine). Hawkins improved at getting to the rim later in the year.

As I said last night, KU looked like UConn, driving in and facing at least two bigs every possession, with the resulting weak layups and blocked shots. Second half they had Wilson hit a couple, pulling Manek out and Braun went to work.

I think Hurley recognizes the problem. Let's see what they do about it. He could have solved a fair amount of it by not playing Whaley with Sanogo. It's an issue we no longer have except for the handful here who want Clingan to play with Sanogo.

Reaction Score
compared to what we saw this past weekend, we have such a long way to go. the caliber, size and ability at NC and Kansas makes me think we need lots of help.

Reaction Score
Let’s not forget we gave nova a better game than anyone in the tournament until they reached the final 4. We have some warts and glaring holes but it’s not like we are eons away from being at the level necessary. A good off-season if acquisitions and a little more development we can be in the conversation of the 10-12 teams with legitimate final four aspirations.

Reaction Score

It was blatantly obvious as you saw teams go deeper and deeper in the tourney. I realize our talent is not UNC, Duke, or Kansas right now, but each of those teams had 3-4+ guys who could be triple threats with the ball in their hands. We had Cole and even then, he's not a great drive/dish guy. Andre can pass the ball, but he's dared to shoot and his handle is suspect. We legit have had one or two players for years now that were actually competent making a play for themselves or others. That's insane.

I think part of the "lack of shooting" principle is that guys do not get open shots on this team. In part, because, well our offense sucks. But there are so few guys who can create good shots for others. Manek would just camp out on the baseline knowing that there were multiple guys who could take their men off the dribble and draw help.

Reaction Score
The past couple of championships were won in the weight room, not just on the court. Don't think the staff hasn't noticed this as well.

In 2014 we started Nolan at the 5 and Daniels at the 4 and Brimah off the bench. 2011 we had Alex O and thats about it. Aint about size if you have talent.

I mean Sanogo and Martin are grown strong men. Whaley played tough and was stronger than he looked. Cole was strongest guard we had in a while. We dominated the glass against almost everyone and those who did get us used Whaleys man as an extra guy to crash boards.

Our strength had nothing to do with no consistent shooters or ballhandlers this season.

Reaction Score
The problem we have is our guards are subpar compared to elite teams. Compare our guards to Kansas or North Carolina and its not good. Not just in talent, but also speed, aggression, size, length, shooting.

The other problem we have is teams like Kansas and North Carolina, you have all 5 guys in their starting lineup who are threats to score. It's difficult to double team or lay off anybody.

We need to have 3-5 guys on the floor that are threats to score at all times. We have been lacking that, and that's why we haven't taken the next step. The closer that number is to 5 guys on the floor the better.

Sanogo needs to watch tape of McCormack on Kansas to take the next step and be elite at the national level. We need him to play with that aggressiveness and dominance. Sanogo puts up numbers, but soft and plays bad, gets in foul trouble in big games.

PS: I believe Hawk and AJacks will take the next step next year. There is no reason they cannot be as good for UCONN as Braun and Wilson were for Kansas this year.

PS: One thing about most elite teams: they run and push the pace of the game. They want to play fast. We need to do more of that like we used to do under Calhoun. Right now under Hurley and even under Ollie post Bazz/Boat we have been playing slow half-court game. We're not Villanova, we need to return to our identity. UCONN basketball used to be similar to the way Kansas and North Carolina played. Right now we play ugly basketball.

Reaction Score
He has it. He makes most of the ones he takes. It just wasn't our offense. You'll see him take more and even some 3's next year.

I think this exaggerates things a bit. Martin is as good a ball handler as Christian Braun is, the problem is that teams kept 2-3 guys in the lane against us. Jackson can get to the hole (what he does with it then is a different problem, but the ball handling is fine). Hawkins improved at getting to the rim later in the year.

As I said last night, KU looked like UConn, driving in and facing at least two bigs every possession, with the resulting weak layups and blocked shots. Second half they had Wilson hit a couple, pulling Manek out and Braun went to work.

I think Hurley recognizes the problem. Let's see what they do about it. He could have solved a fair amount of it by not playing Whaley with Sanogo. It's an issue we no longer have except for the handful here who want Clingan to play with Sanogo.
UConn didn't take a ton of threes but their three point shooting was fine, they shot a tick over 35% for the season from three. UConn's 2 point % was godawful because Cole was the only guy who could break his man down and score. Martin could get some drives and back downs from the wing but he was a bad finisher, Jackson could straight line drive by his man but had no scoring game when he got by him. Defenders could collapse on Sanogo because our force feeding him was so predictable, because he shared the frontcourt with Whaley who is a non scorer, and because Jackson is a non-scorer. You can't play two starting centers and 2 non-scorers in this day and age and expect to go far.

Kansas was just about the same as UConn on threes taken and threes made this season but they destroyed UConn on 2 point field goal percentage.

Reaction Score
compared to what we saw this past weekend, we have such a long way to go. the caliber, size and ability at NC and Kansas makes me think we need lots of help.

I keep reading these posts that imply that there's some massive delta between UConn and North Carolina. North Carolina lost at home to Pitt in February. They were an 8 seed for a reason. They started playing well at the most opportune time. That's sports. Stuff happens.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom