We should hire Holy Cross’ coach. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We should hire Holy Cross’ coach.

Reaction Score
maybe we shoud look for a Broyles winner from a major football power like ND?
I still don't get how we hired him. Hes very clearly a crazy person and you can tell it as soon as he opens his mouth.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What could go wrong with an Edsel

1630790170995.png

Reaction Score
Chesney's thinking, "We just beat UCONN handily, I deserve a better HC job than UCONN" or "We just beat UCONN handily, man that program stinks."

Reaction Score
So we should hire the Holy Cross coach because he beat our terrible coach?

No wonder we are is the position we are in.

Reaction Score
A sad day when the Holy Cross coach would turn us down (which he would).

Reaction Score
If UConn does not hire the Holy Cross coach, or someone like him, very soon, the chance UConn will stay in FBS is becoming very slim. The damage from RE2, PP, and Diaco is building and building. All we need for the next few years is someone who can motivate the team to win winnable games. Once we achieve that for a few years, the team can progress to the next level.

8 used to think there was this deliberate building process that had to sacrifice short term winning for the long term. That's just BS. They need to coexist. You always have to prioritize winning. We have a bunch of potentially good OL but only 2 serviceable front line starters. That's because the "re-re-re-build" always takes precedence even when we desperately needed front line transfers. He's stuck so we're stuck, with losing.

Reaction Score
There may be no sure things, but a guy that’s been absolutely crushing it at a lower level FBS school or competing for national titles in FCS would be preferable.
No current head coach that's "crushing it" at a lower-level FBS school would consider a career-killing job at UConn. Sorry.

I would hate to see him leave but Chesney to UConn would make sense. Proven winner from D3 to FCS -- and at programs that haven't been traditional football winners. From 1992 through 2018, Holy Cross won exactly ONE Patriot League title. Chesney finished 2nd his 1st season and has now won 2 in a row.

He's not going to be at Holy Cross forever, we know that already. He'll move up. Would love to see him save FBS football at UCONN.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The Holy Cross coach is not the answer. Yes, they hung 38 on us, but that has more to do with our incompetence than their offensive scheme or power.

Their offensive system was nothing innovative and they played 2 QBs because the coach “likes them both.” They ran it 51 times vs only 20 pass attempts. I got a lot of red pants vibes from that coach.

We need to go in the direction of a lashlee type offensive mind, someone who wants to spread the field and play with tempo.

Reaction Score
If there is one positive from today it is that we may have found our new coach. Chesney has won at schools all over New England from D3 to D2 to FCS. He is a winner. His players respect him and he can relate to them. Im sure he’s looking for the opportunity to jump up again.

I'm glad I don't doo drugs. He looked like Bobby Red Pants to me and that woulda freaked me out.

Reaction Score
The Holy Cross coach is not the answer. Yes, they hung 38 on us, but that has more to do with our incompetence than their offensive scheme or power.

Their offensive system was nothing innovative and they played 2 QBs because the coach “likes them both.” They ran it 51 times vs only 20 pass attempts. I got a lot of red pants vibes from that coach.

We need to go in the direction of a lashlee type offensive mind, someone who wants to spread the field and play with tempo.

We definitely should go to Lashlee route for the next coach if we have a choice. We need to migrate to a modern offense if we want to recruit good recruits. Lashlee offense was fun, and it will bring back fans.

Chesney is still young, so he might adopt his system to whatever talent that's available. I doubt he is as stubborn as Edsall who is stuck in the 1970s.

Reaction Score
There may be no sure things, but a guy that’s been absolutely crushing it at a lower level FBS school or competing for national titles in FCS would be preferable.
UConn FB is a low level FBS school as an independent. The job is no more attractive than the Sunbelt, Mountain West or whatever low level you are thinking.

Uconn needs someone that is young and ready to take on a huge job. I think D3 is a good place to start that search.

Reaction Score
I’d love to keep Corey on staff.
Why? Just because he recruited a few kids from the football states of TX/FL/GA etc? They are FCS level talent with a fancy label. And our TEs have gone downhill quickly since he took over. Guy peaked in HS at East Catholic and they were not good anyway.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What I like about a guy like Chesney (or other possible FCS, DII and DIII candidates that currently are head coaches) is that they should be able to more easily build a competent and experienced staff. I think it’s hard to hire a retread from FBS or a coordinator because I think those guys know building a staff here won’t be easy.. even when they think they can do it, recent history shows it’s very hard Meanwhile a guy coming up from lower won’t see it the same way, his crew would be thrilled to bump up… his staff would be happy to follow.

We have had three coaching busts in a row and look at the staffs under those coaches… not good.. at all. And the next coach might have the same problem… unless we get someone that really has a crew happy for the step up opportunity.

Just think for a moment how difficult it has been for Randy for find an OC… is that on him? Yeah - for sure.. Lashlee- gone, Dunn bolted after a season and he was even publicly made the heir apparent and still left. We when many weeks that winter before it was decided to elevate completely inexperienced Guifre.

Or how hard it was for Diaco to get good people (that was on him- remember the last straw - wouldn’t take Benedict’s OC choice?)

And PP had DeLeone and his mess.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Why? Just because he recruited a few kids from the football states of TX/FL/GA etc? They are FCS level talent with a fancy label. And our TEs have gone downhill quickly since he took over. Guy peaked in HS at East Catholic and they were not good anyway.
WRONG. Jayce Medlock and Chris Johnson are young and talented. If Sallis signs(he is committed) he is the 12 th rated TE in the country. There is talent at that position, you just need a QB to get them the ball consistently. And Jay Rose ain't bad either. If anything, we are better in terms of numbers at TE but can't see it due to bad QB play

Reaction Score
Corey does a great job and you would think his future looks bright. It will just be somewhere else.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One thing UConn fans should be seeing is recent success as a head coach can be a better indicator of success moving up a level of play, than older coaches, coaches without recent success or coordinators who have zero head coaching experience.

I'd be plenty happy getting a HC whose resume looks like Holy Cross's head coach's resume. Earlier in the week someone was suggesting Holy Cross's HC will a candidate for a P5 job. I highly disagree unless he goes to BCU or 'cuse. No P5 school outside of New England would even consider a HC who has never coached at any position in FBS football. UConn on the other hand is a great sport if he wants to move up.

As others have said, UConn under Warde Manuel had the impression UConn was a destination coaching spot vice a stepping stone. There's about 10 destination jobs in the country and plenty of high level P5 schools realize their coach can get poached if the team starts excelling.

Reaction Score
WRONG. Jayce Medlock and Chris Johnson are young and talented. If Sallis signs(he is committed) he is the 12 th rated TE in the country. There is talent at that position, you just need a QB to get them the ball consistently. And Jay Rose ain't bad either. If anything, we are better in terms of numbers at TE but can't see it due to bad QB play
Meh. Both guys 6-1". Hope they grow. And can't blame it all on QB. Maybe these kids can't run good routes or know how to disengage from LB--because they don't have the proper coaching. We'll see with Rose but the blocking has been weak. I'll give you the Sallis recruitment as a positive since he he offers from GT, Minn, MD

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think we better find a much more proven coach this time around. We are in dangerous territory. We need a sure thing.

Not possible given our situation, unless a certain coach with Wesleyan roots wants to try college FB.

Reaction Score

Chesney is a defensive coach. However its worth noting that his teams at Assumption, right before he came to us, boasted some of the most explosive offensive units in Division II.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom