We only asked once... | The Boneyard

We only asked once...

Reaction Score
Hillsman's take on rivalries is a total evasion and in sports a stupid sacrilege; but in the context of UConn it is also a non sequitur. Syracuse was never a rivalry.
Agree. How can it be a rivalry if Hillsman's team has never beaten Uconn. A pre-Hillsman Syracuse squad beat Uconn in 1996.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
From Syracuse point of view, they are getting their heads beaten up regularly in the ACC. Why get taken to the shed again by UConn. Their fan base is bad to begin with so I can imagine they dont want our fans to outnumber their fans 5 x 1 in the carrierdome.

Reaction Score
I look forward to the Uconn/MD; Uconn/ND; Uconn/Baylor games.
Syracuse IMHO is not a top tier program. I would rather see Uconn versus the top 5-10 teams in the country. Those games seem to be more of a rivalry.

Reaction Score
Geno look surprised the guy cut the presser at that point, Geno looked like he was just getting warmed up

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno look surprised the guy cut the presser at that point, Geno looked like he was just getting warmed up

Yes, he had more to say:

"Later, Auriemma was asked by a Syracuse TV reporter about UConn's surprising season.

"For not having the best backcourt in the country, we've had a pretty good year," Auriemma said "We have a great press department and we have a great communications department. Not as good as Syracuse's, otherwise we'd be putting out things like, we're the best backcourt in the country."

UConn Women Well Aware Of Syracuse's Big-Time Backcourt; Huskies, Orange Meet Monday At 6:30

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Geno takes shots at his kids very personally, more so than shots at him. He won't forget the refusal to give Stewart a hometown game.

Syracuse is slime. I was a Syracuse fan, going all the way back to when Floyd Little of New Haven played tailback there, up until the Bernie Fine revelations. They should have suffered the same fate as Penn State over that disgusting mess. Instead, Boeheim the pervert enabler is still there, with no repurcussions.

I fervently hope we deliberately run up the score in the game tomorrow night. No mercy.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, he had more to say:

"Later, Auriemma was asked by a Syracuse TV reporter about UConn's surprising season.

"For not having the best backcourt in the country, we've had a pretty good year," Auriemma said "We have a great press department and we have a great communications department. Not as good as Syracuse's, otherwise we'd be putting out things like, we're the best backcourt in the country."

UConn Women Well Aware Of Syracuse's Big-Time Backcourt; Huskies, Orange Meet Monday At 6:30
I can't help but think about last year's championship game when Alexis Peterson tried to take the ball away from Kia, and Kia just about ripped Peterson's arm out of the socket, ending her game for the night.

Coach Q should be reminded that "It's best to leave sleeping Huskies lie."

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
From Syracuse point of view, they are getting their heads beaten up regularly in the ACC. Why get taken to the shed again by UConn. Their fan base is bad to begin with so I can imagine they dont want our fans to outnumber their fans 5 x 1 in the carrierdome.

Right, much better to play in front of 500 hard core Cuse fans in a facility that can hold 30,000.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The Godfather never asks again for a favor if he's been turned down.

Hillsman is about to wake up Monday morning with a horses head in his bed (figuratively, of course).

Crush them, again.

Tomorrow night, this little guy named Otto:

upload_2017-3-19_18-6-30.png

will become this juicy, pulpy mess:

upload_2017-3-19_18-8-12.png

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This goes back further than Stewie. Do not forget the game in the dome when the Cuse, under Hillsman, was playing too rough. The team was complaining during time out about it and Geno asked them what are they going to do. Well, Maya went out to bury the Cuse.

I'm thinking the "best backcourt in the country" is going to have a very long night. I may have to change my MOV from 25 to 35 to 40.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In one of today's news links, a sports writer for a Syracuse newspaper interpreted Geno's "We only ask once" comment as closing the door on a future regular season series with Syracuse.

I didn't take it that way. I thought he was only saying that the overture for such a series would have to come from Syracuse.

Either way, I think that the idea is as dead as a doornail. Coach Q is never going to do it, probably because he rightly believes that such a series would provide a recruiting platform for UConn to advertise itself to players from his home region.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yes, he had more to say:

Whoa. Geno doesn't take things personal much, does he. This along with "We only ask once" is kinda looking like a "personal satisfaction" game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In one of today's news links, a sports writer for a Syracuse newspaper interpreted Geno's "We only ask once" comment as closing the door on a future regular season series with Syracuse.

I didn't take it that way. I thought he was only saying that the overture for such a series would have to come from Syracuse.

Either way, I think that the idea is as dead as a doornail. Coach Q is never going to do it, probably because he rightly believes that such a series would provide a recruiting platform for UConn to advertise itself to players from his home region.
After Stewie when was the last great to come anywhere near out of that area? Coach Q has been chewing on his own high collars. It doesn't matter. After the rest of these girls graduate its not like he's been pulling McDonald AA's out of his pants.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Yes, Geno. Don't beg. You asked, they said no, so keep it moving. Once Rutgers was able to move to the Big 10, I knew C.Vivian Springer and Rutgers wouldn't play UConn anymore. I was surprised Louisville agreed to play UConn again.

Reaction Score
What a natural link it would be to have series with Syracuse.... but the Orange have habitually not sought tough competition out of conference..... just like Brenda at Maryland and Kim at Baylor.... beat up on the softies.... I think they are going to have to change, now that the committee is clearly looking for teams to challenge themselves....

For a long time I have laughed at the Syracuse men.... not playing a single game away from the Carrier dome until January some years.... and never scheduling challenging games.... they have added Georgetown and a couple of others for nostalgia's sake and dollars of course.... but of course the old Big East teams ain't what they used to be

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom