We had Breanna Stewart and you didn't... | The Boneyard

We had Breanna Stewart and you didn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
... And that's why she'll be a favorite to do for a fourth time come April that most couldn't do once.

You know Stewie. She's the Notre Dame killer. She's a three-time national champion and Final Four MOP. She, along with Maya Moore, bought the most golden of ages to Uconn. She was born to rebound, block shots, make good shots of her own, and pass the rock. She's having fun when things are going well, and she smiles when she's having fun. Warning: she smiles frequently. She's the two-time defending NPOY with a good chance to have 16 NPOY trophies in her case by the time she graduates. She was overdue to win the Wade last season...so she did. That simple- no big shakes. Stewie just wins stuff. The young woman is a winner.

And we had the winner, and you didn't.

Her name appears on the Wall on Senior Day. The names serve as reminders of the continuum of greatness we had that lesser programs had to make due without. But when Stewie bookmarks the Wall, her opening bookmark of the names is Kerry Bascom. That's the continuum. That's where the next big thing became the last great thing. That's where the recruiting class that was supposed to be great...was all that and more. That's where Uconn was chasing Tennessee, and that's what the Lady Vols aren't quite close to chasing yet.

But she still hasn't dunked yet and needs to.

It's okay, Stewie.we know you, we love you, and we will never forget you. Thank you for the chapters you've added to the book of Uconn WBB. thank you for being everything there was so much pressure on you to be.

We had Breanna Stewart, and you didn't. And the smile that reality gives me reflects the joy that fact drives. Nothing Stewie's absence makes me feel takes away anything her presence entailed.

It wasn't always easy being Stewie, but it'll be easy to smile and celebrate Breanna's big day tomorrow. Stewie chose Uconn and gave a damn about having a legacy as a Husky.

That's who we had that you didn't. And that's exactly what will be so unchallenging to celebrate and embrace.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
She doesn't fall as much as she use to... and Lobo probably doesn't think she's goofy anymore

Reaction Score
... And that's why she'll be a favorite to do for a fourth time come April that most couldn't do once.

You know Stewie. She's the Notre Dame killer. She's a three-time national champion and Final Four MOP. She, along with Maya Moore, bought the most golden of ages to Uconn. She was born to rebound, block shots, make good shots of her own, and pass the rock. She's having fun when things are going well, and she smiles when she's having fun. Warning: she smiles frequently. She's the two-time defending NPOY with a good chance to have 16 NPOY trophies in her case by the time she graduates. She was overdue to win the Wade last season...so she did. That simple- no big shakes. Stewie just wins stuff. The young woman is a winner.

And we had the winner, and you didn't.

Her name appears on the Wall on Senior Day. The names serve as reminders of the continuum of greatness we had that lesser programs had to make due without. But when Stewie bookmarks the Wall, her opening bookmark of the names is Kerry Bascom. That's the continuum. That's where the next big thing became the last great thing. That's where the recruiting class that was supposed to be great...was all that and more. That's where Uconn was chasing Tennessee, and that's what the Lady Vols aren't quite close to chasing yet.

But she still hasn't dunked yet and needs to.

It's okay, Stewie.we know you, we love you, and we will never forget you. Thank you for the chapters you've added to the book of Uconn WBB. thank you for being everything there was so much pressure on you to be.

We had Breanna Stewart, and you didn't. And the smile that reality gives me reflects the joy that fact drives. Nothing Stewie's absence makes me feel takes away anything her presence entailed.

It wasn't always easy being Stewie, but it'll be easy to smile and celebrate Breanna's big day tomorrow. Stewie chose Uconn and gave a damn about having a legacy as a Husky.

That's who we had that you didn't. And that's exactly what will be so unchallenging to celebrate and embrace.
Why does she need to dunk?

Reaction Score
It's the goofy smile, clapping her hands with joy while heading back up the court after nailing a 3 that I will remember most. Such a really, really good kid.
Stewie.jpg

Reaction Score
Great post, thank you. Stewie has been a true joy to watch so to her Morgan, Mo and Briana I say thank you and wish you all the best in what ever you do. Thank You.

Reaction Score
Why does she need to dunk?
I agree! I will be very surprised if she dunks the ball - it's just not in her nature to call attention to herself. How many times has she passed on a wide open 3 when her team is up by 20. Instead, she will pass to get her teammates involved - such a joy to watch and support, our Stewie!

Reaction Score
I think Moriah wants to assist on a Stewie dunk. And I think Stewie would like to please people on her senior day with a Wow moment - and also get people to stop asking about it! So I think there may be an attempt early on if the opportunity presents itself.

Reaction Score
Stewie tried to dunk at SMU, and she said she wanted to go for it in that game but the plan didn't work out (obviously). There are still some games left, so we may still see a dunk yet.

Reaction Score
Stewie tried to dunk at SMU, and she said she wanted to go for it in that game but the plan didn't work out (obviously). There are still some games left, so we may still see a dunk yet.
Although, as I watched that attempt, it seemed much more serendipitous than pre-meditated. It was one of her fun-loving, goofy moments that just happened? However, I know she loves her fans, so if she wants to give us a going away gift, I will be on my feet with everyone else.

Reaction Score
Although, as I watched that attempt, it seemed much more serendipitous than pre-meditated. It was one of her fun-loving, goofy moments that just happened? However, I know she loves her fans, so if she wants to give us a going away gift, I will be on my feet with everyone else.
She said in her post-game interview that they planned it, but the result that we saw "was not the plan."

Reaction Score
No better time to get it off the bucket list than senior day. Where did the four years go?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the clarification, Hoops - I missed that quote.
Apparently she was going to do it for Mo because it was Mo's last game in front of her home town fans so Stewie said "why not?" Mo said post-game that if Stewie had dunked it, she probably would have run off the court and no one would have ever seen her again. Kind of a strange quote, but I guess Mo loves a good dunk!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Folks, the dunking comment was tongue-in-cheek. Just a light-heartened poke because of the blooper where she missed the rebound-jam, because Geno said she would before she arrived on campus, because Breanna wants to and she knows it.

In any event, the thread was a tribute to Stewie. Anything else was window dressing.

Reaction Score
Great post, but I must say, Morgan is the Notre Dame killer, at least twice that I can think of! Even Muffet has said that she was the difference!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya's teams were 150-4. She played every game and scored in double figures a record 149 times.

Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan can go 151-5. Each of them missed at last 1 game, but the class can garner 151 wins, which is a 4-year record (and average of 37.75).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom