Way To Stay Classy Brenda! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Way To Stay Classy Brenda!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
If looks could kill... Seeing Brenda leave the court was priceless... Full of anger she was. She knew she blew the game. No one to blame but herself. Priceless, just priceless.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Tomcat- exactly- she just said that there was no way that her loaded team could compete with an undermanned Uconn team. That is really a very bitter comment. I am not totally shocked- but yet I am. Pure Jealousy and envy. Alyssa Thomas, who got away with a flagrant elbow to the face of Bria Hartley early in the 2nd half, that no one saw or contested, was posted up against Banks and Hartley all night and they couldn't figure out how to get her the ball. Md was in position to make this a game down to the wire. You know what, our players are not only much better coached, they just play so much harder- they just want to win more than there opponents- it was obvious tonight. They had a deeper bench and we still out ran them up and down the court. We had so many easy hoops because of that. They should be ashamed of themselves for a comment like that, and the players should be upset at their coach if they have any pride. That is about as low class a comment to make after an embarrassing loss as there is.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I just went and read all the quotes and I thought except for that one sentence it was a pretty solid performance with lots of praise for CT. And having read some of Geno's quotes cold - not hearing inflection or seeing facial expression - it is easy to think something like this was perhaps better live than on paper.
And I do think she has a valid point - Uconn is down to 9 of which only 7 played - but those seven are not chopped liver - there are two college AAs still playing and at least one future AA, and the team is experienced and all seven have a lot of talent with only one a freshman who had a freshman kind of night. So, for her team's psyche and their confidence it is important for her to make the point that short bench or no, Uconn is still a VERY good team.
And the reality is Geno often uses only a seven player rotation in the NCAAs as do most other teams - the only difference is now he doesn't have a choice, and he has no safety net should fouls or an injury occur.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think she was just trying to be funny. I'd have to hear all her quotes in context to see what she said. I no longer dislike Freese. I used to dislike her after hearing comments about how she negatively recruited against UCONN, but I'd have to hear the quote in context to have an opinion on it. Now I find her kind of a caricature. I think it would be more classy of us fans to just shake our heads and move on.

I know there are times where Geno has said things and mostly it's Tennessee fans going bonkers about Geno. But usually when you take his entire quote in context, it's not nearly so cringe-worthy.

I do think she should be held accountable for the "smack talk" leading up to the game and the hype she put into it with her own comments, and then to make no adjustments in the 2nd half and have one of the commentators note that after the game was over has to call her coaching into question... I don't think she's relevant to UCONN from a competition standpoint.

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I think she was just trying to be funny. I'd have to hear all her quotes in context to see what she said. I no longer dislike Freese. I used to after hearing comments about how she negatively recruited against UCONN, but I'd have to hear the quote in context to have an opinion on it. I think it would be more classy of us fans to just shake our heads and move on.

I know there are times where Geno has said things and mostly it's Tennessee fans going bonkers about Geno. But usually when you take his entire quote in context, it's not nearly so cringe-worthy.

I do think she should be held accountable for the "smack talk" leading up to the game and the hype she put into it with her own comments, and then to make no adjustments in the 2nd half and have one of the commentators note that after the game was over has to call h er coaching into question...
Eric- even if she said it sarcastically- you know about what they say about what we say in "jest"! but to be fair, it would be better to hear it in it's entire context- you are right.

Reaction Score
I once said when I watch Brenda Frese coach I have to keep my hand on my wallet!
When she got the MN Head Coaching job she said at the press conference, "This is my dream job I've always wanted!"
When she got the MD Head Coaching job she said at the press conference, "This is my dream job I've always wanted!"
Another of the great recruiters, lousy game coaches!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I once said when I watch Brenda Frese coach I have to keep my hand on my wallet!
When she got the MN Head Coaching job she said at the press conference, "This is my dream job I've always wanted!"
When she got the MD Head Coaching job she said at the press conference, "This is my dream job I've always wanted!"
Bingo--- Muffet, Tara, Jeff Walz maybe are some of the few coaches that actually get their teams to run offense, never mind tenacious life or death defense!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think she was just trying to be funny. I'd have to hear all her quotes in context to see what she said. I no longer dislike Freese. I used to dislike her after hearing comments about how she negatively recruited against UCONN, but I'd have to hear the quote in context to have an opinion on it. Now I find her kind of a caricature. I think it would be more classy of us fans to just shake our heads and move on.

I do think she should be held accountable for the "smack talk" leading up to the game and the hype she put into it with her own comments, and then to make no adjustments in the 2nd half and have one of the commentators note that after the game was over has to call her coaching into question... I don't think she's relevant to UCONN from a competition standpoint.
I agree Eric on you7r first two paragraphs, but ... all of the hype that they did on this game led to an announced crowd of 15,327 which has to be one of their largest ever for a women's game and one of the largest regular season crowds for a Uconn road game, so ... they must have done something right! If a little smack talking brings out the crowds, I say go for it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree Eric on you7r first two paragraphs, but ... all of the hype that they did on this game led to an announced crowd of 15,327 which has to be one of their largest ever for a women's game and one of the largest regular season crowds for a Uconn road game, so ... they must have done something right! If a little smack talking brings out the crowds, I say go for it.
True. I was tired when i was writing that. Probably didn't make any sense. What do I know.

Reaction Score
Do we have any historians out there? I have the distinct feeling that a similar (or same) statement was made by her (or another of the type- although I think it was her) a couple of years ago. (the part about having to coach .....) If so, hardly original, and shameless- even if she meant otherwise. Ambiguity can be a positive/negative position of power/defense.

Reaction Score

announced crowd, Maryland has been misrepresenting their crowds for a long time. Anyone who saw the game could see at least 50% of the seats were empty. Maryland has a system to give season tickets to boosters to inflate attendance, and help recruiting.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
She should send a million to Waltz. She made her reputation on his coaching skill, right?

Have the two faced off v. each other? What is the record?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
That was pretty much a defensive statement to counteract the criticism she will get for being outcoached. She has gotten loaded recruiting classes the last few years and really hasn't won anything.
You right and let me add she hasn't even won the ACC championship. That should be her first goal.

GG

Reaction Score
Geno is our coach, we should have a sense of humor. I am certain BF was kidding when she made the coaching comment.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
"I said this all along: They went from nine All-Americans to seven," Frese said. "If they lose a couple more, Geno might have to coach like the rest of us."

I would hope that she was going for a little levity. Anyone who is anyone in basketball had to know that Geno's coaching last night was masterful. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt.

....and I am not saying that I am not wrong, either. I am just sayin.....

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
WHAT!!!! I can't find a single article where she said this when she was hired at my Alma Mater- Go Ball State! Now I am pissed ;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
announced crowd, Maryland has been misrepresenting their crowds for a long time. Anyone who saw the game could see at least 50% of the seats were empty. Maryland has a system to give season tickets to boosters to inflate attendance, and help recruiting.
Didn't know that so thanks - but I know that a lot of schools do this including Uconn which I think generally uses ticket sales and not attendance at the door. Whatever the actual numbers in the arena, it was a big crowd and pretty loud for two thirds of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom