Was Florida State Screwed by the Committee? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Was Florida State Screwed by the Committee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is a popularity contest, and the actual game outcomes don’t matter.

College football is the most corrupt major sport in the world, including FIFA, and the sooner the world realizes that, the better.

Reaction Score
Four is probably the right number, especially now that we're down to four power conferences. The most you could talk me into is six. Anything more than that diminishes the regular season.
If the regular season results mattered, FSU would be in the playoff. Instead they went ahead and took those results and then tried to predict competitive games (something the playoff has only rarely had). On the bright side, they managed to spike the ratings and interest for the thing because of the controversy, Alabama & Georgia both being left out would've sparked conversation for a week.. this keeps interest throughout.

Reaction Score
Of course they were. The entire committee is a joke.

1. If you pick best teams, then why isn’t Georgia in there? They are clearly top 4.

2. If Georgia beat Alabama , FSU would have been in spot 4.

The committee had to defer to Texas because they had to get an sec team. They can’t justify alabama and Georgia over texas.

So they made up a thing about fsu, as if you can’t win a game with a backup qb, and decided to throw Fsu under the boss.

What the committee really wanted to do is this.

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Alabama
4. Georgia

They would have preferred that.
They picked the conference champions from the best 4 conferences, who are also the best 4 teams among the conference champions.

When the playoff goes to 12, I highly doubt FSU would go to bat for an undefeated MAC team over a better 2 loss ACC team for an at large spot. FSU, who’s done everything they can to keep Uconn out of the ACC, was hoisted by their own petard.

Reaction Score
The sad part about all of this is that all everybody can do is complain about it... Knowing it's not right and yet they are still allowed to do this...

Reaction Score
The sad part about all of this is that all everybody can do is complain about it... Knowing it's not right and yet they are still allowed to do this...
Yeah there's zero accountability for anyone on the committee. Like the conferences I'm sure they do what the network tells them to. Networks love this manufactured drama

Reaction Score
If the regular season results mattered, FSU would be in the playoff.
Well, yeah. But that doesn't mean the four team concept was bad. It just means the selection process was rife with corruption. You were going to run into that problem no matter how many teams they picked.
Yeah there's zero accountability for anyone on the committee. Like the conferences I'm sure they do what the network tells them to. Networks love this manufactured drama
What's so astonishing is that this year's committee managed to do something - in keeping an undefeated power conference team out - that rarely happened even in the BCS era. This is why I remain skeptical that adding more teams is the solution. If anything, it's going to force teams to defeat an opponent they've already beaten once, sometimes even twice. What made CFB unique compared to pro sports - and even the other college sports - was that the best team usually won. That becomes less likely with every playoff game you ask a team to play.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Read their charter... the committee is there to prevent bad TV matchups from sneaking through. Their standing orders are to manufacture the "best" TV matchups possible. FSU got jobbed, not by the committee, but by the system they've bought into.

Reaction Score
The reality is this. There is the P2 and then everyone else. When the playoff goes to 12, the ACC and the Big 12 will get their conference champ in and rarely get a second team in. The P2 will get 3 to 4 teams per conference each year.
Yep. You might as well just pencil in Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, and LSU and then have the committee figure out who the other 6 are going to be.

Reaction Score
I kind of feel for Georgia...

Defending two time national champions going for a threepeat...and they do not get a shot to pull it off.

12-1 just like Alabama and Texas...Texas beat Bama, then Bama beat Georgia by 3, and the Dawgs are out.

Washington's last three games were won by 3 points or less....I think that Georgia would be favored if they played.

Reaction Score
I kind of feel for Georgia...

Defending two time national champions going for a threepeat...and they do not get a shot to pull it off.

12-1 just like Alabama and Texas...Texas beat Bama, then Bama beat Georgia by 3, and the Dawgs are out.

Washington's last three games were won by 3 points or less....I think that Georgia would be favored if they played.

Exactly, there were six worthy teams. Two were going to be left out. Future undefeated teams like Florida State will get in because of the expansion, so this "problem" has already found a solution. I can't believe so many people on this board are pretending to be upset by this.

Reaction Score
Exactly, there were six worthy teams. Two were going to be left out. Future undefeated teams like Florida State will get in because of the expansion, so this "problem" has already found a solution. I can't believe so many people on this board are pretending to be upset by this.
Yeah finding it tough to be upset over a college athletics system that has largely screwed us at every turn. Oh boo hoo the ACC is mad. Isn't one of their guys the president of this whole dumb committee thing anyway?

Reaction Score
Yeah finding it tough to be upset over a college athletics system that has largely screwed us at every turn. Oh boo hoo the ACC is mad. Isn't one of their guys the president of this whole dumb committee thing anyway?
I'm glad an undefeated ACC champ got left out because it's karma. But that doesn't mean it wasn't the wrong decision.

Reaction Score
Florida St probably isn't one of the 4 best teams without Jordan Travis. However, FSU playing with their 3rd string QB against UL made things look worse than they really are. It is almost certain that their 2nd string QB, Rodemaker, would be the QB going forward. He’s pretty capable. It was a perfect storm that FSU was down to an 18 year old freshman against UL, which allowed the committee to act as if that version of the team was the one they were evaluating. You can’t have it both ways, account for Travis out but don’t account for Rodemaker being back? Seems suspect.

I don’t really buy the beauty pageant thing. FSU gets great ratings and has a huge following. I do think that Texas making it was sketchy. Just another way to sneak in what is really an SEC team going forward.

Georgia got screwed, but that happens when you lose at this point in the season. 4 spots just isn’t enough. 6 would have worked this year.

Reaction Score
The rules, historically, for winning a college championship are very clear:

1. Don't lose
2. If you do lose, don't lose to a team your competing with for a championship

Texas failed the first one. Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State all failed both. Process of elimination. That's how this is supposed to go. That's how it's always gone.

Reaction Score
FSU is not a top 4 team.
Then you can say half the teams that played in the playoffs were not top 4 teams, because the majority of the first rounds were blow outs. FSU belonged in over Bama plain and simple.

Reaction Score
Just proves it’s all about the $$. What you’re seeing is the P5, now P4, eat their own. ACC is now being positioned as the next weak sister. Sick what is happening to college football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom