Walz & Schimmel -- almost a legendary finish. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Walz & Schimmel -- almost a legendary finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did anyone count how many cold layups/chippies Louisville missed in the second half? It is a wonder that Walz had not torn every hair out of his head. I had all available digits crossed for that last shot to go in; would have been possibly the most improbable comeback in the history of the wcbb tourney. And I would have just loved to see the closeup of Brenda's face. What in the name of Saint Patricia could she have been thinking to call that last time out? Way beyond dumb.
Not so fast.
Yes, Jeff's call was great.
But greater still, MD was ready and had Shoni well covered. That's why she missed.
So why criticize the coach when her strategy worked?

Reaction Score
Yep.

One thing I haven't quite gotten used to is that the players who are leaving the college game get so emotional. This is the first year I've been able to closely follow the women's tournament. It's kinda unnerving to see how some of the girls cry after they lose that last game.

You don't see that in men's ball.
Maybe there is more of a tendency for women to cry after their college career ends with a loss but it suggests you haven't seen guys in the men's game crying after losing in the tournament and that certainly is NOT the case. I've watched only a small amount of the men's NCAA tournament this year and I've seen more than a few instances of guys balling their eyes out in defeat, whether it's because they lost the game or maybe because their college career has ended. I am not unnerved when I see any athlete weeping after a gut wrenching loss ends their season and career. It suggests they put their heart and soul into their effort and to see it end in a loss has to be tough.

Reaction Score
Yeah that was a great game. I thought that it was a wrap when Maryland was up ten points with just around 2 mins left in the game. Then I saw Shoni hit 2 three pointers to pull the Lady Cardinals to within 4 points. I was like "Oh snap! This is about to get real interesting." But in the end, the magic ran out for Louisville. Shoni is a gamer.

Reaction Score
Then that final play, diagrammed in a huddle (thanks to Brenda generously calling time out) was pure genius in its concept and almost heroic in its execution.

But alas! Shoni was not Doug Flutie or Franco Harris and her desperate trey bounced off the rim. Took smart guys like me off the hook.

Brilliant move by Frese to call time out so Louisville could set up, and diagram a play . That is a situation that good coaches practice, and adjust to easily during a game. There is no way Louisville gets a good shot without the Maryland time out.

Reaction Score
Brilliant move by Frese to call time out so Louisville could set up, and diagram a play . That is a situation that good coaches practice, and adjust to easily during a game. There is no way Louisville gets a good shot without the Maryland time out.

that was the beauty of Freese's move. she figured that if Shoni got a wide open shot, rather than one of those prayers like the 3 she made just before, there was a better chance that she would miss.

Reaction Score
Not so fast.
Yes, Jeff's call was great.
But greater still, MD was ready and had Shoni well covered. That's why she missed.
So why criticize the coach when her strategy worked?
Disagree. The MD player covering Shoni either stumbled or was screened allowing Shoni a wide open shot. She just missed it unfortunately. At least that's how I remember it. That shot had to be the easiest compared to the other 2 she jacked up and made to scare the crap out of MD.

Reaction Score
Disagree. The MD player covering Shoni either stumbled or was screened allowing Shoni a wide open shot. She just missed it unfortunately. At least that's how I remember it. That shot had to be the easiest compared to the other 2 she jacked up and made to scare the crap out of MD.

The defensive players were not screened, nor did they stumble. They flat out blew the coverage. The defensive strategy was good, the defensive execution was awful. With two players covering Schimmel, how in the world they both let her get past them in the front court is beyond me. The whole idea of a double team play in front and behind I am sure Coach Frese is going to go over that play with the team so that does not happen again. What made the shot difficult for Schimmel is how much sprinting she had to do before getting to the shot. But it was definitely a clean look.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Occasionally you do see men with towels over their heads because it isn't acceptable for them to cry in public, but that is a societal standard we have set - women cry, men don't and you see it across a number of areas of life - both for joy and sorrow.
(It is equally emotional for either men or women when they lose at the end of a four year career - women let it out, men bottle it up until they can find something to hit! :eek:) (And of course half the team on the mens side only invested 6 months in their college career, and are glad they can finally openly spend that wad of cash from their agent and go out and buy a cool car!:cool:)
Also a vast majority of the women realize they are never going to play organized basketball again. While a vast majority of the men think (incorrectly), this is just a quick stopping point on my way to being an NBA Superstar and making tons of cash.

Reaction Score
Also a vast majority of the women realize they are never going to play organized basketball again. While a vast majority of the men think (incorrectly), this is just a quick stopping point on my way to being an NBA Superstar and making tons of cash.

Interesting.

Don't women now have organized adult leagues they can play in if they want to stay in shape etc?

I realize that the women get to be on tv and are celebrities in their cities so that's why they may be sad. They now are close to having to face the uncertainty of going out into the real world.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't women now have organized adult leagues they can play in if they want to stay in shape etc?
Meant organized as in getting paid for it.

And I've yet to come across any adult league that was "organized". ;)

Reaction Score
Yeah, the ones I played in were anything but.

Most of the guys I played with were couch potato/weekend drunks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom