OT: - Walter Becker No Longer Reelin' In The Years | The Boneyard

OT: Walter Becker No Longer Reelin' In The Years

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Caught the Dan at the Beacon Theatre last October, as I had many times in the years prior and am grateful to have seen them together that one last time. Both Steely Dan and Greg Allman had been perennials at the Beacon - all good things must pass.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sad day for me. This is one of my favorite non R & B bands.

I've told this story, but years ago in the summer of 1973 I was playing in bands here in NY and I got word that Steely Dan was to play in Brooklyn's Prospect Park. For free. Just 2 or 3 blocks from my then stomping grounds. About 6 of us walked up to the small grandstand and noticed a set up not on the bandshell, but on the ground in front. There were no more than 25 to 3o people in a small semi-circle waiting for the band to show. We couldn't believe the lack of turnout. After all, "Reelin' In The Years" was in regular rotation on the radio. We started to doubt it would actually be Steely Dan. Yet it was. They played "Hey Nineteen", "Reelin'", "Do It Again", I believe "My Old School", and about 4 others. "Skunk" Baxter was the second guitarist, not Elliot Randall. One of the really great rock music days of my life. RIP Walter, you're in a better band now.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As the first group of rockers is in their 60s and 70s, we're losing them at a fast pace. That's why I went to Desert Trip last year. Dylan, The Stones, Neil Young, McCartney, The Who, and Roger Waters were all between 69 and 76.

Reaction Score
Sad day for me. This is one of my favorite non R & B bands.

I've told this story, but years ago in the summer of 1973 I was playing in bands here in NY and I got word that Steely Dan was to play in Brooklyn's Prospect Park. For free. Just 2 or 3 blocks from my then stomping grounds. About 6 of us walked up to the small grandstand and noticed a set up not on the bandshell, but on the ground in front. There were no more than 25 to 3o people in a small semi-circle waiting for the band to show. We couldn't believe the lack of turnout. After all, "Reelin' In The Years" was in regular rotation on the radio. We started to doubt it would actually be Steely Dan. Yet it was. They played "Hey Nineteen", "Reelin'", "Do It Again", I believe "My Old School", and about 4 others. "Skunk" Baxter was the second guitarist, not Elliot Randall. One of the really great rock music days of my life. RIP Walter, you're in a better band now.
I hardly think they could have performed "Hey Nineteen" since it didn't appear until the Gaucho album which was released in 1980.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I hardly think they could have performed "Hey Nineteen" since it didn't appear until the Gaucho album which was released in 1980.
You're right. Like I said, some of the songs they performed are sketchy in my mind. You know what they say (I think it was Wavy Gravy), if you remember the 60's (for me the 70's) you weren't there.

Last edited:

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

If you apply that sort of time and accuracy requirement on all the Boneyard posts, there just wouldn't be a Boneyard.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Sad day for me too. By far, one of my favorite non R&B bands. I love Steely Dan. A sad day in the world of music. You and are Donald are revered.
Thanks for the great songs and all the good times your music brought. To many of us, you guys became living legends. You guys rock!!! You will be missed. :( RIP Walter Becker. Long live Steely Dan.

upload_2017-9-4_12-13-49.jpeg

Reaction Score
Oddly enough I was flea marketing and scored four of their albums in unopened condition to replace four that I've just about played out. Didn't know about him passing until I got home. Seems like something that one of their B-sides would cover with sly aplomb and a catchy hook.

Reaction Score
Saw them last summer in Atlanta under the stars at Chastain...they were great and very personable...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I had tickets to see them once in the mid-late 70's, but the tour was canceled. Here's one of my faves:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom