Volunteering at the Travelers Championship | The Boneyard

Volunteering at the Travelers Championship

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Hey guys, the Travelers Championship begins next week following the US Open. It's already been announced that Paige would be interviewed at the Womens Breakfast on Thursday. This tournament raises a lot of money for charity, with the biggest recipient the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp. This tournament has also been awarded the "Players Choice Award" as their favorite stop on the tour in 2019 and 2020 as voted by the players. I have been a volunteer at this event for 22 years, the last 12 as a walking scorer. This is the highlight of my year, being out there on the course with players and fans alike. It's always a fun time, and I was just wondering if any Boneyarders also volunteered there in any capacity. If not, how about any PGA events in your area? At any rate, come on out and join the thousands that will be there, and have a good and safe time.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I can`t volunteer this year due to a conflict, but I have the last two years and hopefully will in the future.

I do it through First Tee of Connecticut, I have volunteered with them before on other things. They are responsible for marshaling the 13th hole, a par 5 with out of bounds on the left along the Connecticut River, and water along the right and in front of the green. Ball spotting, paddling, crowd control, keeping things quiet near the green. I do it with a friend of mine from college, baseball teammate. It is a long day in the sun but it is fun.

It got exciting last year on Friday when Justin Rose pulled his drive to the left and I was spotting. I found that it was literally right on the imaginary OB line between the stakes, so I had to make the crossed arm signal back to the tee. They spent a good 6-8 minutes trying to figure it out, Rose arguing his case, before the rules official essentially threw up his arms and called it in bounds. Rose was tied for the lead at the time but he subsequently fell back.

The biggest crowds followed the Dechambeau and Mickelson groups last year. I guess they are going to have to follow someone else. That should not be a problem, as they have another great field.

I envy you as a walking scorer but you have earned it with 22 years of service. A cousin of mine also does that and he scored for Patrick Cantlay last year.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I can`t volunteer this year due to a conflict, but I have the last two years and hopefully will in the future.

I do it through First Tee of Connecticut, I have volunteered with them before on other things. They are responsible for marshaling the 13th hole, a par 5 with out of bounds on the left along the Connecticut River, and water along the right and in front of the green. Ball spotting, paddling, crowd control, keeping things quiet near the green. I do it with a friend of mine from college, baseball teammate. It is a long day in the sun but it is fun.

It got exciting last year on Friday when Justin Rose pulled his drive to the left and I was spotting. I found that it was literally right on the imaginary OB line between the stakes, so I had to make the crossed arm signal back to the tee. They spent a good 6-8 minutes trying to figure it out, Rose arguing his case, before the rules official essentially threw up his arms and called it in bounds. Rose was tied for the lead at the time but he subsequently fell back.

The biggest crowds followed the Dechambeau and Mickelson groups last year. I guess they are going to have to follow someone else. That should not be a problem, as they have another great field.

I envy you as a walking scorer but you have earned it with 22 years of service. A cousin of mine also does that and he scored for Patrick Cantlay last year.
The 13th hole is a bear if you are a Marshall, with absolutely no shade at all. My first ten years was that of a Roving Marshall, so I didn't have to endure that hole except when we were passing through. Always good times though, hope you can come back next year. Thanks for sharing.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Hey guys, the Travelers Championship begins next week following the US Open. It's already been announced that Paige would be interviewed at the Womens Breakfast on Thursday. This tournament raises a lot of money for charity, with the biggest recipient the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp. This tournament has also been awarded the "Players Choice Award" as their favorite stop on the tour in 2019 and 2020 as voted by the players. I have been a volunteer at this event for 22 years, the last 12 as a walking scorer. This is the highlight of my year, being out there on the course with players and fans alike. It's always a fun time, and I was just wondering if any Boneyarders also volunteered there in any capacity. If not, how about any PGA events in your area? At any rate, come on out and join the thousands that will be there, and have a good and safe time.
Ben James from Milford CT is the number 1 high school golfer in the country and he just turned 19. He will be playing at the Travelers. I know him and his dad and have watched him many times. If you wanna see what I feel is a kid who could play on the tour right now watch him. This will be his first PGA event and Im hoping he makes a great showing. Wanna talk about hitting frozen ropes over 300 yards this kid is the real deal.

Reaction Score
I have volunteered through my employer as a hole marshall and a scorekeeper. I loved being a scorekeeper (or a standard bearer). It's easy, you just use a cell-phone they give you to keep track of where the players and their golf balls are and when they hit it. You just need to be able to walk 18 holes straight with just water and maybe a granola bar, no matter the weather. I only stopped doing that because now they require us to volunteer a minimum of 2 shifts. Added bonus is that often the golfers autograph their ball and give it to you afterwards as a thank you :) Volunteers usually get a lunch voucher too to use at any food stands at the tournament (i used to use it at ben & jerry's for a milkshake lol - after having real food. It was a generous amount on it.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom