Volling apart and maybe twenty years gone | The Boneyard

Volling apart and maybe twenty years gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The Schadenfreudian Club has slipped into full gear with guiltless trips down to Knoxville to revel in the "moaning on the internet" and an empire that has broken apart. The discussion of the Vol twilight is very instructive for Husky fans though because it is a subject and a situation that BY fans could face down the road if UConn follows UTenn's beaten path. That seems highly unlikely since the Huskies have usually followed divergent paths from the Vols, but nonetheless lessons can be learned.

A Volnation thread began with musings over the high expectations that can view a 14-4 record as pitiful failure and was followed by the vocal reaction of responders who were unhappy over any attempt to accept mediocrity. The OP invited everyone to travel back 20 years to 1984 (math was never a strong suit down there) to think about how far the team has come in that 20 or 30 years and whether the current situation would have created mass despondency back then. In 1984, maybe not, as the Vols had not won an NC yet, but by 1994 the situation was very different and has some echoes of today. In a 5-year period from 1987 to 1991, UTenn won three NCs, but by 1994 the team was in the midst of a mini-4-year-drought that did cause some fretting, just as the 4 tourneys from 2005-2008 did for the Huskies. And now not only is Pat gone for UTenn, but the dry-spell for not only NCs but FFs seems to be clearly spreading to a 6th year and the current coach can't "progress in the tourney more than the second round" (good memory is not a valued commodity down there).

So is the Vol of Empires Past syndrome a specter awaiting the Huskies on the road of the future. Likely not I hope because of the following checklist:
  • I really think that as Geno gets close to hanging everything up and maybe becoming a US emeritus coach, he will make very sure that the succession is nailed down and that his successor will be fully ready to assume the head-coaching abilities and be adept at handling the players, the media, and the rigors of whatever challenges the opposing teams have in store for UConn. Checked off.
  • If as in the UTenn case the successor is the long-time assistant, that is for UConn a very comforting prospect. Little more need to be said for CD, who has done and seen it all. Checked off.
  • I'm thinking that no one is ever going to be saying that the game has passed Geno by and that he is handing over a ship that has taken in a lot of water and needs to be pumped. He will be pushing the boundaries and delving into new frontiers until the end. Checked off.
  • UConn will never become too complacent about getting a top recruiting class but will rather see that as more of a challenge to develop those players than as any kind of assurance that another set of NCs is in the bag. Checked off.
  • The whole system of the super-developmental practices, the no-nonsense but nurturing environment, and that extended alumni family that is always around to inspire the younger Huskies will remain strong and vibrant. Checked off.
  • The forum that follows the Husky team will not collapse into the scurrilous bilious low-down squalid foul state that befell the UTenn discussion board(s) a long time ago. Oh shoot, well, 5 out of 6 ain't bad.
Cheers to a peachy Husky future that mirrors a peachy Husky past.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I will express what may be a minority view.

First, I must state that some remarks by some mean-spirited and often vulgar LVols fans are both disgusting and despicable.

Second,I acknowledge Pat Summitt's sustained contribution to the sport we love, wcbb.

Third, I posted two years ago my view that Holly Warlick just inherited the worst job in wcbb: succeeding a legend while her presence continued to be massive, and whose fan base is unforgiving.

I honestly feel bad for the many thousands of fans of Tennessee wcbb. They are now challenged to deal with the descent of their program from excellence to mediocrity.

There is a limit to my sympathy for the fallen. If they (LadyVols) never win another game, it's ok by me.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
sheeesh, Kibs, that there is SOME limit!! I am with you. 111%.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I feel just a little more sympathy than usual toward our former foe due to the presence of Bashaara Graves in Vols Orange.
Such a nice kid, such a wonderful talent.
Such a good friend to our soph group from the under 19's and before.

It's a shame to see her gifts so diluted by the chaos in Rocky Top.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
If my math is correct (and it may not be at this late hour), the 2015 recruiting class will be seniors when Geno's contract is up. I would think that would be on the minds of potential recruits in a year or two. But agree, we should savor what we have. As far as the orange go, time has subsided my vitriol a bit. Still want them to lose (fairly) but the situation is just becoming sad. I just hope they don't replace Holly with one of the Husky assistants. That would be a wound (although it might jumpstart a rivalry).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice OP and I agree with what you say re Uconn succession (or at least think that is how it will play out.)
It is amazing that for almost 20 years the longest stretch in the wilderness has been four years and those years were filled with great teams and great players just lacking in ultimate glory.
And really, TN can turn this around pretty quickly - they have the name and the facilities and the fans, they still get in the door with the top recruits. I think it is a coaching and chemistry issue and that can resolve itself pretty quickly. So I don't feel any sadness for their lot. (But I do take vicarious pleasure in it!)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If UCONN is smart, and they feel that Jen is the heir apparent, then she will be hired on as an asst coach if/when Shea or Marissa leaves, and she will be out recruiting with Geno with the understanding that when he does retire it will be with the new HC already deeply involved in the recruits coming in.

However, I believe that Geno is a competitive guy and not only will he continue to do what he's doing as long as he loves it, but I believe he also wants to stomp on every one of Pat's accomplishments.

I also agree there's a terrific lesson to be learned from our orange friends. Realistically, if they don't land Wilson, they will be left with a very average recruiting class by their standards for 2014. They don't seem to be leaders in any of the top 10 kids in 2015 (but I have no idea where many of those kids are leaning - I'm just not hearing any positive vibes coming from Vol nation). That leaves 2016. Most Vol fans feel they are leaders for Crystal Dangerfield, a terrific top 5 player (PG) from Tennessee (I think Murfreesboro, or however you spell it). That means that possibly having Russell won't do them any good, and actually hurt them more than helped them as it keeps Worlick there for a while longer due to the great recruiting coup she managed in landing Mercedes. Getting a top 5 kid every other year, or worse, is not the way to rebuild the Tennessee program...

In spite of the sad and unfortunate nature of Pat's leaving, it will give a great blueprint for UCONN to try to avoid the mistakes Tennessee made, or were forced to deal with...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom