Villanova Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Villanova Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I forgot to mention Castle, I think he's an even better defensive player than Jackson was.
Astute observation.

Andre made more highlight defensive plays (he loved to go for blocks) and gambled a bit more, but Castle is a more disciplined defender.

It's great to see that our coaches can make a McDonald's AA (known more for offense) play defense!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great game. Villanova made some runs.

First, congrats to Tristen - amazing. But sort of lost in the hoopla was the ridiculous (IMHO) way Nova played the last few minutes.

They were down what - 13 or 14 with like 2 minutes to go and they were fouling? Not a fan of how Nova played the last 2 minutes. Maybe I was looking too closely, but it seemed like they knew how close Tristen was and were playing just to try to keep him from the accomplishment. Lead went from up 13 to a 24 point win. Down 19, full court press? Go Tristen and Alex. Sweet.

LOVED Karaban draining the 3 to give Newton the 3-2. Loved how psyched Castle was. Loved how Hurley kept the starters in till like the last 30 seconds. Found myself strangely disliking Villanova, and thrilled we poured it on at the end.

Reaction Score
In the past, Villanova's bully ball (one on one) dribbling in the lane worked against us. we had to double team that and they kicked it out for threes. Because of our size, that didn't work for them. Clingan, Castle and Karaban , all stayed on their feet and blocked their shots. Their threes were challenged and they couldn't hit them.
Gus Johson saying Caitlin Clark was the most exciting player he has ever seen play, nearly got Jackson to choke. Didn't you ever see Pete Maravich play? Clark is great but there are scores better.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Great on court action all night PLUS this. An embarrassment of riches.
THC-Villanova-UConn-Basketball_180749634.jpg

Reaction Score
Creighton game well behind them. Perfect response; drub Nova by 20+, and Newton follows up his attempted heroics on Tuesday with a triple double.

Up next: Pirate Booty revenge in a week
Also, Uconn gets to pay Villanova back for those two back to back 20+ point losses they gave to us during the 2017/18 and 2018/19 seasons. Those were ugly losses during a rough period for Uconn.

Reaction Score
So funny being at game I did not know Newton was close to triple double and he passed it to Karaban in the corner for a 3 with under a minute to go and AK passed it. Newton was like why, not sure AK knew he needed the assist. glad to see them connect at end.

Reaction Score
Is Hurley secretly recruiting the white kid from Nova? Jk. But if he does enter portal I’m sure Hurley will be all over him.

I guess he was speaking to the kid then pointed at Cam like you could be like him. And praised him as one of the best shooting options in America in her post game presser.

Reaction Score
If we don’t cut down the nets this year, that Karaban three will be the season highlight. What a great moment
We are cutting the nets down this year! That will just be a side note to the season.

Reaction Score
Great game. Villanova made some runs.

First, congrats to Tristen - amazing. But sort of lost in the hoopla was the ridiculous (IMHO) way Nova played the last few minutes.

They were down what - 13 or 14 with like 2 minutes to go and they were fouling? Not a fan of how Nova played the last 2 minutes. Maybe I was looking too closely, but it seemed like they knew how close Tristen was and were playing just to try to keep him from the accomplishment. Lead went from up 13 to a 24 point win. Down 19, full court press? Go Tristen and Alex. Sweet.

LOVED Karaban draining the 3 to give Newton the 3-2. Loved how psyched Castle was. Loved how Hurley kept the starters in till like the last 30 seconds. Found myself strangely disliking Villanova, and thrilled we poured it on at the end.
Neptune always does that, I've seen a bunch of games the past two years where they are down double digits with a lil over a minute left and he'll keep fouling trying to extend a game they have no chance of winning.

Reaction Score
Astute observation.

Andre made more highlight defensive plays (he loved to go for blocks) and gambled a bit more, but Castle is a more disciplined defender.

It's great to see that our coaches can make a McDonald's AA (known more for offense) play defense!
Jackson constantly got beat off the dribble sometimes puposedly as he was hoping to block shots from behind. Castle doesn't need to do that as he has better lateral quickness. Maybe not as explosive but I rather his man to man defense. Coupled with Diarra we can can really lock up the opponents wing players.

Reaction Score
In the past, Villanova's bully ball (one on one) dribbling in the lane worked against us. we had to double team that and they kicked it out for threes. Because of our size, that didn't work for them. Clingan, Castle and Karaban , all stayed on their feet and blocked their shots. Their threes were challenged and they couldn't hit them.
Gus Johson saying Caitlin Clark was the most exciting player he has ever seen play, nearly got Jackson to choke. Didn't you ever see Pete Maravich play? Clark is great but there are scores better.
Gus was born in 1967, he didn't see Maravich play in college. Jim Jackson said his name right after and Gus literally responded that he didn't see him play in college

Reaction Score
Neptune always does that, I've seen a bunch of games the past two years where they are down double digits with a lil over a minute left and he'll keep fouling trying to extend a game they have no chance of winning.
Thats why I loved Karaban commiting that hard foul at the end, which then took our starters out of the game.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Amazing game, amazing atmosphere, amazing play from so many amazing players, amazing guests, amazing ceremonies....

GOAT, RIP, Joey D, Freeman, Voskel, Wane, Sanders and even Tayshaun Prince in the house

I'm a happy man

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
On the Maravich discussion (I almost posted this on another recent thread): I'm old enough to have seen him ( on TV) at LSU & the Hawks) to say he was incredible. There were many good basketball minds ( former players, coaches, announcers) whad had claimed he was the best ball handler, shooter or passer they ever saw. If he had a three point line ( even an NBA line) and four years of eligibility, he would have doubled his point total.

Reaction Score
Who cares, it's his opinion of who HE'S watched
And it’s my opinion he was wrong.

See how we can keep playing this silly game.

You cared enough to talk about it and I cared enough to respond

Reaction Score
Down 19, full court press? Go Tristen and Alex. Sweet.
Someone asked Hurley in the post game press conference about getting Tristen his triple double by allowing Karaban to take that shot late in a blowout. He said Villanova was pressing so he let the team shoot rather than waiting for a turnover or foul.

I agree with him. If the other team is pressing with the game over then you still have to attack rather than play passive and sit on the ball for the shot clock violation, which is how both teams usually play it there in that situation.

Reaction Score
If Pete had a 3pt line, she’d have to play 7 years to come close to him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom