Villanova post game thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Villanova post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Reminds me alot like the Ark game last year. Bad defense on the 3pt line and Azzi having to play the role of Paige. That loss turned it around last year. Even with the loss, I still enjoyed the comeback. This game brought to the surface all of Azzi's talents and smarts even on a less than stellar shooting night. Every single shot a good one. And I think this game will prove to Azzi that this is her team in Paige's absence and will demand her teammates do a better job.

Still. Azzi did have some issues on Defense that she needs to improve on and can also get overmatched even if in good position. I do not think Azzi is 5' 11". I would say 5' 9" :oops:

Reaction Score
Shout out to Nova! They ran their stuff (cuts, picks, screens) and shot lights out. I couldn’t decipher who was Steph and who was Klay tonight. Nova hustled for offensive rebounds and 50/ 50 balls and they took advantage of UCONN’s very short bench. Get some rest ladies and come out strong on Friday against Depaul.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It was mentioned that Geno turned Paige loose on the team prior to the 4th qtr. She gave the Huskies an earful and they proceeded to outscore Nova 24-10 in the 4th qtr. Maybe Geno's on to something?
Nice allegory but Paige went at them early in 3Q and the effort came in the 4th Q

Reaction Score
Loved to see the fight in the end...... Christyn stepped up and Azzi said bet I'm game let's go but they needed others to go along for the ride. Villanova can be a tough team to play and they are disciplined. The frustrating thing for me like Geno says himself..... if everyone just does their part. That did not happen tonight. I hope Liv is good to go Friday and if she isn't I hope everyone else steps up.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
People don't realize what it does to a team when 2-3 key players are out every game. And often it happens at game time. It's REALLY hard to make adjustments when you game plan with their presence in mind. There os a LONG way to go in this season. Good things are ahead! The adversity trials will be rewarded.
Especially two or three different players every game. You said the same thing in the chat and it is just as true now as then.

Reaction Score
It's all meaningless until Paige returns. A new season starts from then on. Don't worry about a loss right now. If Paige isn't healthy, this will be a season to forget.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A small thing UConn needs to work on is getting the ball to the open player in the post or on the three point line on time. Too many times the pass is either missed or delivered a second too late. Has happened a lot this season.
I've been complaining since Paige was injured. I've gotten tired of saying it.

Reaction Score
We were playing with one hand tied behind our backs...a great effort by V. I also think it is difficult after an emotional win against Teen, to come back and play against a team that for 3/4 of the game were shooting lights out....I'm not one bit worried about the future when that group on the bench gets back on the floor...ya'll just need to relax....

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My dominant reaction to this game and a lot of this season is what's happened to Aaliyah's hands? She booted at least three passes that could have led to easy baskets. And every 50-50 rebound that she got her hands on went to Villanova.

That's just representative of the rebounding. I looked toward the end of the third quarter and UConn was being outrebounded 26-9. For the entire game the UConn frontcourt had two rebounds in 50 minutes played.

Reaction Score
A small thing UConn needs to work on is getting the ball to the open player in the post or on the three point line on time. Too many times the pass is either missed or delivered a second too late. Has happened a lot this season.
And there is an obvious reason for that. This team is best when they move the ball around quickly. Ducharme gets that. Few others seem to.

Reaction Score
My dominant reaction to this game and a lot of this season is what's happened to Aaliyah's hands? She booted at least three passes that could have led to easy baskets. And every 50-50 rebound that she got her hands on went to Villanova.

That's just representative of the rebounding. I looked toward the end of the third quarter and UConn was being outrebounded 26-9. For the entire game the UConn frontcourt had two rebounds in 50 minutes played.
The ball kept going in or bounced long on misses. We need to understand that it's going to happen when they shoot outside a lot.

Reaction Score
While a lot to comment on, my biggest issue this evening was UConn not guarding the 3 point shooter. The other night, Chris Daley had the same issue but in the 2nd half, made sure we didn't unnecessarily double the low post, leaving the shooter at the key open. This isn't a hard concept, but it never got addressed throughout the game tonight.
Big difference in the way you can play team defense without a rim protector. Nova had some open looks for sure but without Ono, you pick your poison. Nova shot 19-34 on 2’s, many of them layups.

Reaction Score
No doubt ONO was missed but she can’t do anything about all those open perimeter shots NOVA got and all the sloppy passes. Just a bad game. The defense stopped TN cold. Tonight we just didn’t guard. Dorka May be more injured than we thought. She looked awful. I can’t explain Evina. Azzi is a superstar. We have 2 on 1 team.

Reaction Score

I didn't think a lot of those passes to her were timely or well placed. IMO...in the halfcourt Nika picks up her dribble too soon and gets stuck in an awkward passing position. I also think Geno needs to advocate a little for Edwards. She's a big body, but half those charge calls were bogus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom