Video of Jana | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Video of Jana

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Short indeed. Early on she was not very confident in her shooting and her footwork was rough, which got her into foul trouble. She cleared much of that up by January. But she was also beginning to feel the effects of knee pain. What I mainly remember about her once she got comfortable with Geno’s schemes was how quick she is, how well she runs the court, and how imposing she could be even against taller posts. I don’t expect her to be a volume scorer. But she will be a presence in the paint at both ends of the floor. Jana will enjoy playing next to her.

She was never a great scorer in HS and that hasn’t changed. She’ll get paint points and putbacks. Maybe she’ll develop an elbow jumper eventually though she doesn’t have that in her game yet. I’d be more focused on her rebounding, and I’d love to see her develop into a transition scoring threat. With her quickness, she could play those high hedges that got Aaliyah so many fast break opportunities. Ayanna isn’t there yet, but she could be, and I think it might be intimidating to opposing guards to try to defend her at full gallop on the break.
I'm spoiled. I want everyone one the floor to be an offensive threat.

Reaction Score
I'm spoiled. I want everyone one the floor to be an offensive threat.
I can sympathize. I think of her as being sort of like Victaria Saxton at SC. She was not a shooter though she could get into double figures mainly from low post feeds and putbacks. But she was a defensive intimidator who benefitted from playing next to Boston. Much of what she did wasn’t visible in the box score.

I expect Ayanna to be sort of like that playing next to Jana. She’ll be a rebounder and a fierce defender, she’ll run the floor really well (maybe better than Saxton), she’ll take a lot of the pressure off Jana. She won’t be a high post passer like Sarah or Ice.

Reaction Score
Patterson also had lingering medical issues from highschool. When they shut her down after the knee surgery, they shared that she had similar issues in highschool.

Reaction Score
Just musing on Jana in the frontcourt makes me happy. If Raegan doesn’t want to come to Storrs, I’m fine with that. It may. It may not all come together for Jana next season. But it doesn’t have to. A frontcourt that can go big or small can be formidable, especially if Geno can rotate scorers and rebounders. We have strong bigs in Jana Ayanna Sarah and Ice. We have quick bigs in Ayanna Sarah Aubrey and Morgan. We have slashing bigs in Jana Aubrey Morgan and Sarah. We have smooth shooting bigs in Sarah Jana Caroline and Morgan. They don’t all have to do everything. The important fact is that Geno has a lot of alternatives to play with.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Patterson also had lingering medical issues from highschool. When they shut her down after the knee surgery, they shared that she had similar issues in highschool.
Maybe it is worth reminding folks that Ayanna was ranked number 3 coming out of high school...I think the best is yet to come.

Reaction Score
Just musing on Jana in the frontcourt makes me happy. If Raegan doesn’t want to come to Storrs, I’m fine with that. It may. It may not all come together for Jana next season. But it doesn’t have to. A frontcourt that can go big or small can be formidable, especially if Geno can rotate scorers and rebounders. We have strong bigs in Jana Ayanna Sarah and Ice. We have quick bigs in Ayanna Sarah Aubrey and Morgan. We have slashing bigs in Jana Aubrey Morgan and Sarah. We have smooth shooting bigs in Sarah Jana Caroline and Morgan. They don’t all have to do everything. The important fact is that Geno has a lot of alternatives to play with.
Notice Sarah is featured in every group!

Reaction Score
Looking forward to seeing Jana next year. I like her aggression and physicality off the dribble and in the paint. Give her some space and let her go to work. I'm anticipating that she may initially pick up some charges, but she'll adjust. UCONN needs this type of athleticism and physical play.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to seeing Jana next year. I like her aggression and physicality off the dribble and in the paint. Give her some space and let her go to work. I'm anticipating that she may initially pick up some charges, but she'll adjust. UCONN needs this type of athleticism and physical play.
Exactly. The learning curve is mainly going to be about fouling. And how to handle positioning and switches on D. But the offensive package is well developed, and any flaws there will be more than made up for by her ferocity. Sort of like having a big Nika in the low post. So much heart in this kid!

Reaction Score
“I've never coached anybody better at Connecticut —never in my life.”

I feel totally vindicated. Folks have been dismissing my gushing optimism about Jana for a year now — and maybe the rehab isn’t fully successful and I’m proved to be a fool, again — but at least I’ve got good company.

Reaction Score
“I've never coached anybody better at Connecticut —never in my life.”

I feel totally vindicated. Folks have been dismissing my gushing optimism about Jana for a year now — and maybe the rehab isn’t fully successful and I’m proved to be a fool, again — but at least I’ve got good company.
Those are all mighty words from Geno!! Very encouraging.

Reaction Score
I've been watching the fiba u19 games from last year, most recently the game vs Canada. I think that game is a perfect example of one that kinda exhibits her talent. It is quite a blowout but she scores in a variety of ways. She hits a three, cuts and gets a lob, scores on a post move. She is also going up against Toby Fournier a lot who is a top 20 recruit going to Duke. Unfortunately, this is one of her last games before the injury, but I'm sure the mental reps and additional year in college has made her better in some ways. I remember there was a bit of criticism last year, she did kinda home run trot at times, really on both ends. But overall she looks great. I could see her having a bing time role this season.

Reaction Score
she did kinda home run trot at times,
She sprints the floor when she needs to… like when she gets a steal and takes it the length of the floor for a layup. There’s quite a few of those in the fiba games. She looks to be at least as quick as Aaliyah was in the transition game, and I loved watching Aaliyah get out on the break.

Reaction Score

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I want very badly for Jana to meet and exceed every hope and expectation Geno or anyone here has, and there is certainly a non-zero chance that she will. After the better part of 2 seasons of being immersed in UConn culture, film work and training, Jana is as well positioned as any "freshman" ever was coming into a "1st" season.

There was no player I was more excited to see last season than Jana. I was gutted when I heard about her injury.

I will tamp down my excitment and remain firmly in the "wait and see" camp, fingers and toes crossed for good luck.

Can she excel in that uniform at this competition level? Damn, I hope so. 1st Egyptian All American? That would be very cool.
But...
Wait and see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom