Video of Jana | The Boneyard

Video of Jana

Reaction Score
Now I am even more upset about her injury this year. I had no idea she had such a wide and varied skill set and moved so well without the ball and has such solid basketball sense. She was very well taught by her coach /father. She is a player. Wouda, couda, shouda and I am sorry for this but we win it with her last year. Do not be surprised to see her and Sarah out there at the opening tip.

Reaction Score
This game from the FIBA tournament last summer has been showing up on my feed the last few days. Jana had 27 pts after 3 quarters in this one. You can really see her transition speed and her perimeter shooting.

Reaction Score
Sorry, that last video is from 2 years ago. Here's one from last July against Lithuania -- so much better competition, and Jana scored 28 with 13 rebounds in a losing effort. She's constantly double teamed in the lane and is able to fight through it. Juste Joyce also played in this game if anyone wants a comparison in terms of D1 readiness.

Reaction Score
She’s 16 in this video. A little too much dribbling but her teammates are just standing around watching her, so I get it. Some mad skills, though

Jana may be 16 years old in this video... but she is NUMBER 8. In noticed her ability to
use both her RIGHT and LEFT hand. NICE.

Reaction Score
Guessing the chances of her starting in November are about 1 in a million.

I'll take 1 in a million for $10. Patterson and Griffin may not be ready so it could be El Alfy & Brady starting. There are a lot of players who will be familiar with the system this spring/summer but the 4 1st year players are unusually gifted in various things. El Alfy has been watching for an entire year and a half, Ziebell is a coach's kid, Strong has player/parents and Cheli's floor IQ had her take over at the pg for her elite team. They could catch on quickly.

I had resigned myself a long time ago not to expect much from freshmen transitioning from HS but the last few years have shown that throughout the NCAA more and more 1st year players are not only starting but starring and leading. UConn made the FF with 4 of their 7 man rotation being 1st year players. If El Alfy adjusts to the speed of the college game quickly her physical tools (6'6) could put her on the starting team along with Strong.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'll take 1 in a million for $10. Patterson and Griffin may not be ready so it could be El Alfy & Brady starting. There are a lot of players who will be familiar with the system this spring/summer but the 4 1st year players are unusually gifted in various things. El Alfy has been watching for an entire year and a half, Ziebell is a coach's kid, Strong has player/parents and Cheli's floor IQ had her take over at the pg for her elite team. They could catch on quickly.

I had resigned myself a long time ago not to expect much from freshmen transitioning from HS but the last few years have shown that throughout the NCAA more and more 1st year players are not only starting but starring and leading. UConn made the FF with 4 of their 7 man rotation being 1st year players. If El Alfy adjusts to the speed of the college game quickly her physical tools (6'6) could put her on the starting team along with Strong.

Freshman big with over a year off playing and recovering from an injury that is worse than an ACL? No chance, imo. UConn's looking for frontcourt help and not for reserve roles.

Aubrey won't be ready, who knows what's up with Patterson, but no way Jana starts. Let's just get her 100%.

Reaction Score
Freshman big with over a year off playing and recovering from an injury that is worse than an ACL? No chance, imo. UConn's looking for frontcourt help and not for reserve roles.

Aubrey won't be ready, who knows what's up with Patterson, but no way Jana starts. Let's just get her 100%.
Yeah, but we’re talking November, not February. Exhibition games. The walking wounded not quite ready yet. I think there’s a good chance Jana starts the first couple. Of course, if we’ve added Beers, she probably won’t start. But barring that, I expect it’ll be like the last few years and Geno will start the ones who already understand the system, which means Paige KK Ash Ice and someone at the 5. That someone might as well be Jana. If Sarah is going to displace someone in those early games, it could as well be Ice as Jana.

It’s not a sure thing, but it’s not a billion to one shot either.

Reaction Score
Jana is more than ready and will start. What an amazing player. She will work seamlessly into Geno's and coaches offensive and defensive plans and rotations. She will be an Aaliyah plus (3 inches) and will be something to watch. Can't wait to see her maneuvering on the floor with Paige's et al passes to her in the paint. The '24-'25 season is going to be a banner year. But sure that there will be continual pleas on the BY for another big. Wonder why no one mentioned the 6'8' phenom that is getting enormous attention.

Reaction Score
Now I am even more upset about her injury this year. I had no idea she had such a wide and varied skill set and moved so well without the ball and has such solid basketball sense. She was very well taught by her coach /father. She is a player. Wouda, couda, shouda and I am sorry for this but we win it with her last year. Do not be surprised to see her and Sarah out there at the opening tip.
Bubble wrap BOTH of them, Geno! Label..."Do Not Open Until October!" lol

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

People have short memories. Patterson was struggling before she was sidelined.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
True but, Patterson was lacking in offensive skills. She needs to develop an outside shot. Jana already has one.

Reaction Score
She is going to be a beast in the college game. She'll start from day 1

It's not unusual for many to have high expectations of Jana El Alfy, who finished top scorer at the last U19 World Championship, which is a high-quality tournament, and also finished in the top 5 for rebounds. Among the three players who will be joining her, it's worth pointing out that with two of them only three days away from their 19th birthdays, they'll be turning 19 in the following order: Morgan Cheli on September 18, Jana El Alfy on the 20th and Allie Ziebell the following day. For Sarah Strong, she'll have to wait until 2025, and she's the only one who'll be able to join Team USA for this year's U18 Americas Championship and next year's U19 World Championship.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Reaction Score
Short indeed. Early on she was not very confident in her shooting and her footwork was rough, which got her into foul trouble. She cleared much of that up by January. But she was also beginning to feel the effects of knee pain. What I mainly remember about her once she got comfortable with Geno’s schemes was how quick she is, how well she runs the court, and how imposing she could be even against taller posts. I don’t expect her to be a volume scorer. But she will be a presence in the paint at both ends of the floor. Jana will enjoy playing next to her.

Patterson was lacking in offensive skills. She needs to develop an outside shot.
She was never a great scorer in HS and that hasn’t changed. She’ll get paint points and putbacks. Maybe she’ll develop an elbow jumper eventually though she doesn’t have that in her game yet. I’d be more focused on her rebounding, and I’d love to see her develop into a transition scoring threat. With her quickness, she could play those high hedges that got Aaliyah so many fast break opportunities. Ayanna isn’t there yet, but she could be, and I think it might be intimidating to opposing guards to try to defend her at full gallop on the break.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom