Vanderbilt 72 Columbia 68 | The Boneyard

Vanderbilt 72 Columbia 68

Reaction Score
Columbia made a run at the end of the 4th quarter. Abbey Hsu for Columbia was
hampered by 4 fouls. Hsu stats: 13 points on 3 for 14 shooting
2 for 11 three pointers, 5 rebounds, one assist, FOUR PERSONAL fouls.
THAT's What I saw, check official Stats. Vandy made from Free Throws to seal the deal.

Reaction Score
Megan Griffith (Columbia HC) is a vocal advocate for her program and for mid-major programs who are willing to play tougher schedules only to realize that Power 4 conferences aren't willing to play THEM. I would much rather see a really good mid-major team that wins 80% of its games versus the 8th best SEC team who had all season to prove it was not even in contention for it's own conference title. Sure her comment was a bit snarky, but she wasn't wrong.

A 4 point game (out of 140 points scored) shows that Columbia was on par with and not overmatched against a really good Vandy team. Congrats to Shea and the first of what will undoubtedly be a very successful run in future tournaments. Those kids at Columbia played just as hard, it just wasn't their night.

Reaction Score
Wasn't that impressed with either team, but they were the last two teams in--so that was to be expected. Abbey Hsu's game has huge warts in it (terrible shot selection and can't defend an armchair). Sacha Washington was the best player on the floor to me, but Columbia had no size (so that was to be expected). Kitty Henderson had her moments.

I hope Arizona/Auburn is more entertaining.

Reaction Score
A 4 point game (out of 140 points scored) shows that Columbia was on par with and not overmatched against a really good Vandy team.
Yeah, it's almost as though two teams designated 12-seeds had a similar playing strength and sports is just a fun way we build narratives out of insignificant samples of data.

sports.png

We all have our biased opinions here, but (1) on the margins choosing a couple more midmajors or major-conference teams won't matter at all to the overall quality of the tournament (2) it's easy to support limiting the number of spots per conference when you support a program that will probably never finish below 3rd in our lifetimes.

It's an important nuance of "rich get richer." If you limit the NCAA to 4 teams max from each conference, you're going to redistribute 2nd-line talent from say Vanderbilt or Arizona to Penn or Santa Clara because players want to play in the NCAA, making it easier for the top 4-6 to remain the top 4-6. Matter of opinion whether that's good, bad, or indifferent, but it would make the rich richer.

For an exaggerated example, check out those repetitive pre-1974 men's brackets where only one team per conference made it.

Reaction Score
Why is Columbia's future of concern on this forum?
It's more about Shea and her progress at Vandy in my opinion. Nothing more nothing less. Many UConn fans pulling for her to succeed in the position there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom