USF is coming... remember Voodoo 5 | The Boneyard

USF is coming... remember Voodoo 5

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Fun read. Can you remember when sports journalists could respectably say things like, “Under Randy Edsall, UConn can't match many teams with sheer talent, but they play smart, close-to-the-vest football, and never beat themselves.”? 2010 was a great time to be UConn fan!

Reaction Score
When you look at that 2010 team many made NFL roster or were draft picks and a couple made it as far as the practice squad. They were not the talentless overachievers that the media would have you believe.

Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Lawrence Wilson, Byron Jones, Jordan Todman, Dwayne Gratz, Nick Williams, Scott Lutrus, Greg Lloyd Jr, Trevardo Williams, Anthony Sherman, Shamar Stephen, Sio Moore, Geremy Davis, Ryan Griffin, Kendall Reyes.

Practice squad dudes. Yawin Smallwood, Robbi Frey.

I might have missed a guy or two. The team was LOADED!!!

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Fun read. Can you remember when sports journalists could respectably say things like, “Under Randy Edsall, UConn can't match many teams with sheer talent, but they play smart, close-to-the-vest football, and never beat themselves.”? 2010 was a great time to be UConn fan!
I remember being livid at the cowardly manner Edsell left the first time, and the feeling of utter disgust as I saw his smarmy smug smile on a bank's (at least I think it was a bank) sign overlooking I-84 outside of Hartford post-exodus. That said, he really did a good job picking out talent for the team on his first go around (second generation talent wasn't bad, just his style was).

Reaction Score
When you look at that 2010 team many made NFL roster or were draft picks and a couple made it as far as the practice squad. They were not the talentless overachievers that the media would have you believe.

Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Lawrence Wilson, Byron Jones, Jordan Todman, Dwayne Gratz, Nick Williams, Scott Lutrus, Greg Lloyd Jr, Trevardo Williams, Anthony Sherman, Shamar Stephen, Sio Moore, Geremy Davis, Ryan Griffin, Kendall Reyes.

Lot of ballers on that squad. I especially loved Kendall Reyes. I felt he had the most upside of any of this group. He was a man in the middle and the was borne out in his ability to play on Sundays. Amazing that Griffin and Sherman ended up having the best NFL careers out of this team. Amazing level of talent. Let's hope this can be replicated in the future.

Reaction Score

Which is a moronic statement because most of the UConn players mentioned in that blog had NFL careers.

Reaction Score

Nice, yeah it was. Kashif Moore went to the combine, signed a few contracts and Zach Hurd practice squad with Raiders. Lots of football talent.

Reaction Score
There is a history of some outstanding UConn -- USF games at the Rent. A freezing night in '05, when they dominated us, but they wouldn't settle for 3, kept trying for TDs on trick plays, and let us walk out with a W. Our first ever win against a ranked team, starting in a monsoon in '07, with a Lutrus pick 6 early and backup LB Greg Robinson from Scotland PA staying home on a Grothe naked bootleg to deny USF a winning TD late. In sleety snow in '09 at night, when Teggart kicked a FG to end the game after Kash Moore made one or two plays to get us in range. And then again in '11, for a post-Edsall win, in IIRC was one of Lyle McCombs better games.

Note that they all ended in Ws. Hoping for the same result in 8 days.

Reaction Score
There is a history of some outstanding UConn -- USF games at the Rent. A freezing night in '05, when they dominated us, but they wouldn't settle for 3, kept trying for TDs on trick plays, and let us walk out with a W. Our first ever win against a ranked team, starting in a monsoon in '07, with a Lutrus pick 6 early and backup LB Greg Robinson from Scotland PA staying home on a Grothe naked bootleg to deny USF a winning TD late. In sleety snow in '09 at night, when Teggart kicked a FG to end the game after Kash Moore made one or two plays to get us in range. And then again in '11, for a post-Edsall win, in IIRC was one of Lyle McCombs better games.

I was at the first two you mentioned.

USF is nothing to be intimidated by.

Reaction Score

The Greg Robinson play is definitely top 10 in all of UConn fb history. IMHO

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

I remember two freezing cold games in 2005, USF and Louisville, both a fun time at The Rent (provided you were dressed for the weather). I greatly miss those times.

Reaction Score
Huskymedic - Great Clip!!

Man Lorenzen was good. I saw him beat Duke at their place, thinking this team is special.

Reaction Score

I always thought Trevardo Williams was the best athlete in that group. There weren’t many defensive ends who could run the 100 meter dash in just over 10 seconds and the 200 meter in 21.9 sec.

Reaction Score

‘09 game is one of my favorites. Crappy day with a light crowd that got more belligerent and loud as the game went on. By the end you would have thought 40,000 were there… I suspect there was a lot of help from flasks that day. Just a miserable fun day.

Reaction Score
‘09 game is one of my favorites. Crappy day with a light crowd that got more belligerent and loud as the game went on. By the end you would have thought 40,000 were there… I suspect there was a lot of help from flasks that day. Just a miserable fun day.
Uconn fans are nothing, if not fantastic beer drinkers... haha

Reaction Score
2005 was a wet kind of cold. And maybe the first time my Dad looked old to me clearly suffering a bit. He was such a trooper, clearly into the game and yelling.

I kept buying him hot chocolates and he hung in there. This was the infamous game where the stadium ran out of hot cocoa. It was all my fault.

Reaction Score
I always thought Trevardo Williams was the best athlete in that group. There weren’t many defensive ends who could run the 100 meter dash in just over 10 seconds and the 200 meter in 21.9 sec.
Trevardo’s moment was the win at a ranked Louisville team in 2012. That Teddy Bridgewater didn’t have to check into an insane asylum to get over Trevardo being all over him the entire game was a minor miracle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom