USA Today on Pat & Geno | The Boneyard

USA Today on Pat & Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nicely written, intelligent article that helps put the relationship between Pat and Geno in a perspective that makes sense. A must read for those fans of UCONN and Tennessee who tend to see sports rivalries as only black and white. I don't know if Geno will attend the memorial service or how he might be received if he did, but it might go long way towards restoring the relationship between the two programs. Some may read that last statement and dismiss any need for reconciliation but in my world the willingness to forgive continues to be a measure of good character.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Some may read that last statement and dismiss any need for reconciliation but in my world the willingness to forgive continues to be a measure of good character.
Luckily, hopefully, we don't live in that world.

Good article though.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's a good article. From a UConn's fan's view, I'd have like to have seen a bit more detail about the 67 (or whatever) page complaint, it's contents and the result of the NCAA's inquiry, but given the timing of the article, I'm okay with it's absence.

I would imagine that Geno would be very well received at the memorial event. I know were the circumstances reversed we would warmly recgonize Pat.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nicely written, intelligent article that helps put the relationship between Pat and Geno in a perspective that makes sense. A must read for those fans of UCONN and Tennessee who tend to see sports rivalries as only black and white. I don't know if Geno will attend the memorial service or how he might be received if he did, but it might go long way towards restoring the relationship between the two programs. Some may read that last statement and dismiss any need for reconciliation but in my world the willingness to forgive continues to be a measure of good character.

I've really been wondering whether the organizers of the memorial service will invite Geno or not. I think the reaction would be quite mixed, and I do think there is a large segment in Knoxville that would be hostile to his presence. This has been laid bare by the way many of them have responded to Candace Parker's exclusion from the Olympic team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've really been wondering whether the organizers of the memorial service will invite Geno or not. I think the reaction would be quite mixed, and I do think there is a large segment in Knoxville that would be hostile to his presence. This has been laid bare by the way many of them have responded to Candace Parker's exclusion from the Olympic team.
I suspect that Geno would recognize the mixed nature of his attending and politely decline - it is a day for Pat and for some people it would be a distraction from that. He has made his public statement and I suspect he has also communicated privately.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I suspect that Geno would recognize the mixed nature of his attending and politely decline - it is a day for Pat and for some people it would be a distraction from that. He has made his public statement and I suspect he has also communicated privately.

I would really like to see him there, and if the organizers saw fit to invite him, I hope he would accept.

However, frankly I suspect that he won't be invited, for the same reason that you say he'd likely decline.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Pat is a LEGEND... mentioning Geno in any tribute about her isnt cool. They need to stop it!

Lets celebrate her greatness, wins, championships, players, family etc. It can be done without talking about Geno

Plebe

Reaction Score
Pat is a LEGEND... mentioning Geno in any tribute about her isnt cool. They need to stop it!

Lets celebrate her greatness, wins, championships, players, family etc. It can be done without talking about Geno

Do you feel the article was disrespectful to Pat? I don't see anything wrong with recalling what the greatest rivalry in WCBB history.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Do you feel the article was disrespectful to Pat? I don't see anything wrong with recalling what the greatest rivalry in WCBB history.
actually I didn't read it... rehashing that old rivalry right now isn't the time. If both teams do what they are capable of doing during March Madness the game will happen

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
actually I didn't read it... rehashing that old rivalry right now isn't the time. If both teams do what they are capable of doing during March Madness the game will happen

Then you missed an excellent piece. It was broader than the rivalry. I loved Ally's bit at the end.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

But a very real part of Pat's legend is completely intertwined with the tremendous rivalry that TN/Uconn represented - 5 of her championships and 5 of Geno's occured during a twelve year period when they represented the two best teams in their sport - neither would be as 'great' without the other as a foil. It is a well written piece and worth a read.

I agree that rehashing the breakdown between them is not a fitting place to go, and it is why I think him being in TN would not be fitting, but ignoring either when looking at their careers in a retrospective way is to leave out what makes them so important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom