USA Olympic Qualifying Team - DT, Phee, Stewie (merged) | The Boneyard

USA Olympic Qualifying Team - DT, Phee, Stewie (merged)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
BAE0D01A-218D-42BA-9629-BC8C7DCCA863.jpeg

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Usually there are a few college players...
no Paige? no Clark?
Still playing their college seasons. While some international players are missing a few games to play for their home country in qualifying tournaments, no need for the U.S. to do this. This is not the final Olympics team. Note A'ja Wilson is not named, can't imagine her missing the Olympics.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Nice to see three UConn players!

Very guard heavy roster, eight by my count (if Howard is considered a guard).

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
As Sabreena Merchant said on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/sabreenajm

Allisha Gray, Chelsea Gray, Brittney Griner, Betnijah Laney, Arike Ogunbowale, and A'ja Wilson were in camp but will not be participating in the qualifying tournament. Don't think this list tells us much about who's in the lead for the Olympics roster.
https://twitter.com/search?q=betnijah laney&src=typed_query&f=live

If healthy, there is ZERO chance A'Ja Wilson, Gray and Griner at the least are not on Olympics roster.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a great team. Kind of surprised Wilson and Griner are not on the team. But everyone brings something different. Can't wait to watch them!!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Game on. 11-17, Belgium. Huge, wonderfully loud crowd. Rebounding seems to be an issue for US.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
And Stewie.

But Stewie is enough of a team player to be present all the way through the process. Unless of course some of the automatics have VERY good reason to not participate (And I can't imagine all those players would have a good reason). Always happy to see multiple UCONN players playing for the USA!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
USA wins! 81-79

IMHO a bunch of questionable plays down the stretch. Pheesa had a monster game and Thomas was really good offensively too, but 3 shots in a row - Stewie jumper, Sabrina 3 point shot, Plum jumper all missed when the game was tied at 79-79. They won on an O-board from Stewie and a layup put back.

1707428760883.png

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie almost never shoots 3-9, but she is unparalleled in the clutch.

Plum never shoots 2-9 for Vegas. WTH?

Dee was 0-4, but 6-6 on FTs.

Phee carried the team. I'm sure they missed Wilson.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Was Boston injured/ill? That was a very small lineup....

Reaction Score
A great game! Collier was amazing and Thomas was very good! The guards of the US didn't play well and had serious issues with stopping the dribble drive. Teh US defense was not good. not communicating enough on defense and bad help defense. I was impressed by the game of Belgium. Great ball movement, cutting to the basket and 3-point shooting. They were missing 2 starters and still game the US as tough a game as you can give. The put back by Stewie in the end was un-real.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
A great game! Collier was amazing and Thomas was very good! The guards of the US didn't play well and had serious issues with stopping the dribble drive. Teh US defense was not good. not communicating enough on defense and bad help defense. I was impressed by the game of Belgium. Great ball movement, cutting to the basket and 3-point shooting. They were missing 2 starters and still game the US as tough a game as you can give. The put back by Stewie in the end was un-real.
Well Ionescu is a so-so defender, Plum is better but not top tier, and DT is a couple steps slow these days. Gray and Jackie Young will be key for us on perimeter defense, along with Lloyd.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well Ionescu is a so-so defender, Plum is better but not top tier, and DT is a couple steps slow these days. Gray and Jackie Young will be key for us on perimeter defense, along with Lloyd.
Dawn Staley often used Loyd in a defensive capacity and Young can play some defense.

I agree with your personnel points. But I'm also thinking, "Hey, this was the first game out for this squad against one of the tougher squads on the docket." Yes, Belgium was missing a few people, but last I checked A'ja Wilson was nowhere to be seen and Boston didn't get on the court, either. Good to have some reinforcements behind you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom