Upset Alert - Down Goes Perdue (merged) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Upset Alert - Down Goes Perdue (merged)

Reaction Score
And a lot of times they're teams that had much higher expectations or were ranked higher and are very talented. In 2012 when we had Drummond and began the year ranked top 5 we ended up on the 8/9 line. Can't imagine Kentucky was too pleased to see that (although they would've wiped the floor with us anyway).
In 2014, Kentucky themselves had a mediocre year, ended up as an 8 seed with much, much higher ceiling, then took down undefeated Wichita State and a bunch of others en route to the championship game.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The light contact that gets called defending Edey is sickening. He pushes guys all over the court but my god don't brush him. As if the biggest beast in the game needs protection.
Special treatment? Perish the thought! That's exactly the opposite of the treatment Clingan gets. Clingan has learned to adjust and that he can still be a terror while avoiding tick tack fouls.

Reaction Score
The teams that can’t score don’t really concern me, teams like UNC that can score Are the ones that do.

Don’t believe we would stay down for 40 mins in 50s or low 60s. I was not a fan of trying to win 62-59 which Hurley liked just a few years back (huge credit to him for changing!) Those kind of teams can’t take down a team that can score in a variety of ways even if something is taken away.

I don’t watch major college teams (re love mid majors) enough to know what teams are like that. (Kansas, Arizona ?, who else?)

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
No. Why would they do that?
Because in the past they would send us out there I guess as a "dis" and JC reveled in it. He thought it helped to avoid all the hoopla and instead focus on the task at hand. I agree with you though, not likely to happen at all.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Are we locked into UNC as long as they are a 2? I hope not but every bracket I see has them with us. Do 2s stay in their home region? What if they are top team on 2 line and were top on 1 line? Seems crazy.
They get extra credit for their student athlete academic excellence. It's one of the reasons they became a blueblood without violating any NCAA rules.

Reaction Score
He did it!

Purdue's loss means UConn has moved to No. 1 in Monday morning's updated CBS Sports Top 25 And 1 daily college basketball rankings thanks to a 24-2 record featuring nine Q1 wins and zero losses outside of Q1. The Huskies are now the only team with fewer than three losses and more than one Q1 win -- and, again, they have NINE Q1 wins. They're arguably better positioned to repeat as national champions than anybody has been this deep in the calendar since Florida in 2007, and the fact that UConn is doing this after losing three of the top six scorers from last season's team is why Dan Hurley would get my vote for National Coach of the Year.

Reaction Score
Because in the past they would send us out there I guess as a "dis" and JC reveled in it. He thought it helped to avoid all the hoopla and instead focus on the task at hand. I agree with you though, not likely to happen at all.
I understand why this was asked. UConn has won the National Championship a few times coming out of the west and that the east has often been one of the toughest regions to get out of.

With that said, if UConn ends up as one of the 4 number one seed, they will clearly put them in the east. But note that they've changed how they place teams during the early rounds of the tournament, where the higher seeded teams within those matchups are often place closer to home. It's most likely UConn will play their games in Brooklyn and then Boston, against teams where we have a regional advantage. Though there's always the chance that we'll face a lower seed that is from the northeast.

It's always a crap shoot to see what regions the committee places the 2, 3 and 4 seeds. They never admit it, but they don't always place them based on where they fall within each line. They often seem to manipulate some interesting matchups. Looking at the current top 25 there are a lot of very good teams lump together between #3 and #16, and one might argue that the number two team Purdue is closer to that group than they are to UConn. Talent has been spread out through so many programs due to the transfer portal creating a lot of parity like w've never seen in the past.

The West has often been the easier path for a program not from that part of the country due to the lack of elite teams on the far side of the country. Other than Arizona, there are going to be some very good teams seeded 2, 3 and 4 in that region that are from other areas of the country that will be just as tough as in the other 3 regions. The committee often doesn't balance regions all that well, but since the top 16 or more teams are pretty bunched together talent wise, other than manipulating things as far as style of play and tough matchups, there won't likely be much of a difference between each region this year.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I understand why this was asked. UConn has won the National Championship a few times coming out of the west and that the east has often been one of the toughest regions to get out of.

With that said, if UConn ends up as one of the 4 number one seed, they will clearly put them in the east. But note that they've changed how they place teams during the early rounds of the tournament, where the higher seeded teams within those matchups are often place closer to home. It's most likely UConn will play their games in Brooklyn and then Boston, against teams where we have a regional advantage. Though there's always the chance that we'll face a lower seed that is from the northeast.

It's always a crap shoot to see what regions the committee places the 2, 3 and 4 seeds. They never admit it, but they don't always place them based on where they fall within each line. They often seem to manipulate some interesting matchups. Looking at the current top 25 there are a lot of very good teams lump together between #3 and #16, and one might argue that the number two team Purdue is closer to that group than they are to UConn. Talent has been spread out through so many programs due to the transfer portal creating a lot of parity like w've never seen in the past.

The West has often been the easier path for a program not from that part of the country due to the lack of elite teams on the far side of the country. Other than Arizona, there are going to be some very good teams seeded 2, 3 and 4 in that region that are from other areas of the country that will be just as tough as in the other 3 regions. The committee often doesn't balance regions all that well, but since the top 16 or more teams are pretty bunched together talent wise, other than manipulating things as far as style of play and tough matchups, there won't likely be much of a difference between each region this year.
I completely agree. That was then and this is now. Not really too concerned. Just hope we stay healthy through the schedule and Big East Tournament. Hitting stride at exactly the right time.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I don’t care if we beat the 96 bulls, I have no interest in playing kadary Richmond in single elimination

Reactions: caw

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom