Upgrading Tailgate | The Boneyard

Upgrading Tailgate

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Been a season ticket holder for awhile and go to most all home games, but usually our tailgates consist of friends who drink aggressively and rile up the crowds at games. I’m looking to upgrade our tailgate a little bit, usually we’ll do a cooler with two 30’s and a small grill if we remember to bring it.

What accessories or items do most of you prep for your tailgates? Any good deals going on right now for grills, flags, TV’s, etc. I know some of you prep nice spreads so I’d be interested in hearing anything other than cold beer, we’ve got that down. Really looking forward to this season I’ve got the itch.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Meat has been the center of our tailgates for 20 years. I am on my second Coleman Tailgste grill. Also bought an 8 ft folding table and bring some chairs and you have a solid base.

We do marinated flank steak and for noon games, eggs, kielbasa and steak. If you like exotic stuff, coffee and peppercorn rub so you get your caffeine and steak for a noon game.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Meat has been the center of our tailgates for 20 years. I am on my second Coleman Tailgste grill. Also bought an 8 ft folding table and bring some chairs and you have a solid base.

We do marinated flank steak and for noon games, eggs, kielbasa and steak. If you like exotic stuff, coffee and peppercorn rub so you get your caffeine and steak for a noon game.
I’ve got two tiny portable propane grills, might need to upgrade my set up.

Reaction Score
At this point I’d buy a Roku for $20 and tether to phone or car (most have WiFi now) and be able to access much more than the locals you’d get with antenna.
I’ve done the Roku and yes it was pretty easy. However, you are at the mercy of your wireless provider to stream games. When I first started doing this in a relatively empty parking lot, I had no issues. But as there are more people in the parking lot on their phones, it may get more difficult. The digital antenna is so cheap and easy and a good backup for your Roku. There is always a good game on the networks.

Reaction Score
similarly, went in for a blue lot pass for this season. Any do's or don'ts? Easy ins/outs?

Reaction Score
Been a season ticket holder for awhile and go to most all home games, but usually our tailgates consist of friends who drink aggressively and rile up the crowds at games. I’m looking to upgrade our tailgate a little bit, usually we’ll do a cooler with two 30’s and a small grill if we remember to bring it.

What accessories or items do most of you prep for your tailgates? Any good deals going on right now for grills, flags, TV’s, etc. I know some of you prep nice spreads so I’d be interested in hearing anything other than cold beer, we’ve got that down. Really looking forward to this season I’ve got the itch.
Folks have mentioned the battery generator. I have 2 - a main one and a backup. The battery powers my TV, Roku/digital antenna and stereo speakers. I use the speakers for either music or amplifying the TV if there is a good game on.

I built, finished and customized UConn cornhole boards last year. They are nicer and than $250 ones you get at Victory Tailgate and cost me about half that. They were pretty easy to build but finishing took more effort than I thought. I love how they came out.

I added a 15’ flagpole with 2 flags last year. Reviews on those wheel ones were iffy and they seemed cheap to me so I made one using a grounding stake, several pvc pipes and zip ties. This set up works in the blue lot because you can easily drive the stake in the ground at the Rent. Obviously, in a fully paved lot, this solution would not work.

For staying warm later in the season or early mornings, I also added a propane heater that uses the same portable tanks I use for my grill. But we had such great weather last year, I only used it for one game.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Folks have mentioned the battery generator. I have 2 - a main one and a backup. The battery powers my TV, Roku/digital antenna and stereo speakers. I use the speakers for either music or amplifying the TV if there is a good game on.

I built, finished and customized UConn cornhole boards last year. They are nicer and than $250 ones you get at Victory Tailgate and cost me about half that. They were pretty easy to build but finishing took more effort than I thought. I love how they came out.

I added a 15’ flagpole with 2 flags last year. Reviews on those wheel ones were iffy and they seemed cheap to me so I made one using a grounding stake, several pvc pipes and zip ties. This set up works in the blue lot because you can easily drive the stake in the ground at the Rent. Obviously, in a fully paved lot, this solution would not work.

For staying warm later in the season or early mornings, I also added a propane heater that uses the same portable tanks I use for my grill. But we had such great weather last year, I only used it for one game.
Lots of 3:30 games on the slate this year, so the TV would be nice to catch the 12p games. That and a better grill would move me into a respectable tailgate in my mind.

Reaction Score
Lots of 3:30 games on the slate this year, so the TV would be nice to catch the 12p games. That and a better grill would move me into a respectable tailgate in my mind.
I got gifted a Blackstone Tailgater a couple years ago. It's a bit of a PITA to pack, but that's moreso because I have a sedan. It's class though, flat top on one side and grill grates on the other. So you can do something like peppers and onions on one side and grill sausages. Or for the early games you could do bacon and pancakes for the breakfast folk and burgers and dogs. I think it comes fitted for a 20lb tank and I just had to buy an adapter to screw on to be able to use the camping cannisters instead.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I got gifted a Blackstone Tailgater a couple years ago. It's a bit of a PITA to pack, but that's moreso because I have a sedan. It's class though, flat top on one side and grill grates on the other. So you can do something like peppers and onions on one side and grill sausages. Or for the early games you could do bacon and pancakes for the breakfast folk and burgers and dogs. I think it comes fitted for a 20lb tank and I just had to buy an adapter to screw on to be able to use the camping cannisters instead.
I may be joining your tailgate this year :cool:

Reaction Score
Look for tailgating specials: Last year as the season approached, I got a nice UConn pop up tent at Costco, They also had UConn folding chairs & other items. I was in the Waterbury Costco on Saturday, but saw no UConn kiosk yet.

Reaction Score
I highly recommend the Coleman Roadtrip Grill. Our's going on it's 20th year. Interchangeable grill, griddle and burner plates. Mine has legs, but I see they make a smaller table-top version now. Runs off the small propane bottle but you can buy an adapter to hook it up to a regular tank.

We also picked up in a couple "walls" for our canopy and a cheap propane heater that fits on top of a standard propane tank. Really helped during those late games in November we always had. Weights and spikes for the canopy legs were also a key addition. I always laughed at the number of canopy frames in the dumpsters after a windy day.

Reaction Score
My old blue Roadtrip Grill is also still in use. It has a removable inner reservoir to add water to to catch the grease drippings. Son's college roommate had a red one with no such reservoir which is much tougher to clean. Make sure that you buy one with that inner lining.

Reaction Score
My old blue Roadtrip Grill is also still in use. It has a removable inner reservoir to add water to to catch the grease drippings. Son's college roommate had a red one with no such reservoir which is much tougher to clean. Make sure that you buy one with that inner lining.
That's the one I have too. The water tray is ingenious. I always had people come up to me when I was adding water or dumping it to ask what the gig was. Everyone who saw it thought it was a great system. Don't know why they didn't stay with that design.

Last edited:

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Come early, stay late!
Not that getting in and out was every really an issue but our crew always used to have postgame meals planned as well. We would come out after the game and grill up stuff while we waited for the lots to empty

Reaction Score
Had two season tickets. Added two more last week. We bring tent, flag, grill, tables, chairs, Cornhole, alcohol & whatever my wife feels like cooking.
I’m getting pumped! Took that Thursday & Friday off.

Reaction Score
I highly recommend the Coleman Roadtrip Grill. Our's going on it's 20th year. Interchangeable grill, griddle and burner plates. Mine has legs, but I see they make a smaller table-top version now. Runs off the small propane bottle but you can buy an adapter to hook it up to a regular tank.

We also picked up in a couple "walls" for our canopy and a cheap propane heater that fits on top of a standard propane tank. Really helped during those late games in November we always had. Weights and spikes for the canopy legs were also a key addition. I always laughed at the number of canopy frames in the dumpsters after a windy day.
I'm on my second version. An out of control grease fire at the last home game in I think '11 killed my first. Having said that, while I love my Coleman I picked up a portable Weber for my Vermont place this spring, and without taking up much more room in the car it would provide substantially more surface area for grilling for those who are shopping.

Reaction Score

I'll be coming through with the Coleman roadtrip grill

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
With my first Road Trip Grill, I bought the carrying case with wheels. They don't make that anymore and the zipper has long gone on it. I still have the original version when the 2nd one died at the Rent end of 2015 season. I still have 3 griddles and 4 grates between the 2 grills. Just looked at the price and it did jump up quite a bit.

Anyway, have the grill and a nice, decorated table as the centerpiece of the tailgate and you can't go wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom