Upcoming Gampel Enchantments | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Upcoming Gampel Enchantments

Reaction Score
If I remember right I think there was a plan years ago to add sky boxes but the fire marshal said no.

Reaction Score
Destroy it and build new.

But our state loves throwing 10-20M updates every 10 years at old infrastructure.
It's a bad building that for some incomprehensible reason some folks thought was a good idea at the time. It's a limited windowless cylinder. I agree, start from scratch and think big this time. And consult with the fire marshall beforehand.

bill GIF

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Destroy it and build new.

But our state loves throwing 10-20M updates every 10 years at old infrastructure.
Be careful what you wish for. After going to the new hockey arena I don’t trust them to build something nice/better. That place is lifeless.

Also knocking down Gampel would be a mistake because of the history we have had there.

$100 million should be enough to fix almost everything wrong with it

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Be careful what you wish for. After going to the new hockey arena I don’t trust them to build something nice/better. That place is lifeless.
Just to make sure, who is them? We can't blame the state for that barn, can we?

Reaction Score
Just to make sure, who is them? We can't blame the state for that barn, can we?
I blame all parties involved. And to be fair it’s probably a great venue/facility for the team. But it’s not great for fans.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I remember the initial drawings for Gampel in the early to mid 1980's. It was slightly bigger than the field house. The politicians wanted to make sure we had to use the Hartford Civic Center. 8000 seats which was 2x times the size of the field house and half the size of the HCC. It was doomed size wise before it was built due to Connecticut politics.

If they could find a way to build boxes, expand the concourses, offer more or better concessions, etc and do it for $100M, I will be surprised.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

Also knocking down Gampel would be a mistake because of the history we have had there.

$100 million should be enough to fix almost everything wrong with it
That’s a good point. Don’t want another catastrophe.

Reaction Score
Tearing down Gampel would be a TRAVESTY. The history, the championships - its iconic (at least to me). It would be a huge mistake. Expand it via the concourse and squeeze in a few extra (thousand?) seats, renovate it, but don't tear it down.

On a side note UNC is considering replacing or renovating the Dean Dome as well. Tearing that down would be a huge mistake too. You don't mess with history (just ask the Yankees)...

Reaction Score
If you replace Gampel with a new building, it would allow you to rename the arena. Maybe somebody/company makes a big donation or buys the rights over a number of years. I think Gampel could get $2 million+ per year given both the men and women play games there even though they play games in the XL Center as well. They should put out feelers to see if there is interest in donating to a new arena before they decide to renovate.

Reaction Score
I would think there’s room for serious concourse expansion on the side paralleling Jim Calhoun way. Move the athletic department offices into the renovated Guyer/field house or downstairs in Gampel. Not sure what you could do on the other side with the Natatorium over there. Wonder if the Golf team’s lounge could be made into boxes

Reaction Score
I blame all parties involved. And to be fair it’s probably a great venue/facility for the team. But it’s not great for fans.
Why? I thought it seemed amazing for fans on paper, I haven’t been. I just felt it was too small which would make getting tickets tough.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Gonna be an awesome venue for '50s high school dances

Attachments

• 853a938ecacc0d4d94023a8e8f47e658.jpeg
    853a938ecacc0d4d94023a8e8f47e658.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 15
Reaction Score
after the abomination of the hockey arena worried that a new arena would actually turn out worse than gampel. Whomever was in charge of that one should be no where near anything when it comes to basketball

Reaction Score
Instead of naming the court after a coach. Sell the naming rights but make the term only five years. It will recoup the enhancement expenses over a few cycles.

Reaction Score
after the abomination of the hockey arena worried that a new arena would actually turn out worse than gampel. Whomever was in charge of that one should be no where near anything when it comes to basketball
What's wrong with it? I've never been.

Reaction Score

I’ve been a bunch and think it’s great. Just because the season ticket holders don’t go doesn’t mean it isn’t a great barn.

Reaction Score
It has some design/execution quirks but the major issue is it has had an underperforming men’s team that doesn’t generate enough excitement. Sound familiar? Win and they will come!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom