OT: - Unorthodox interview | The Boneyard

OT: Unorthodox interview

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Just had a very strange interview. We’ll see what it means. Circumstances were unusual because it’s an internal position and I just unsuccessfully interviewed for a similar position a couple weeks ago. HR director told me “they loved me but hired someone with more experience. Apply to the next one.” So today I interviewed for the position of the guy who got the other job.

Obviously they know me well and I recently answered most of the questions but it was still strange for a school administrator position.
-“who inspires you?”
-“do you believe in Bigfoot? Why or why not?”
-“if you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?”
- “what three words describe you?”
Only asked me a couple questions Pertinent to the position.
Does this bode well or bad? Definitely felt like a formality but I’m not sure if it was a formality because they have someone else.

Share funny interview encounters

Reaction Score
Just had a very strange interview. We’ll see what it means. Circumstances were unusual because it’s an internal position and I just unsuccessfully interviewed for a similar position a couple weeks ago. HR director told me “they loved me but hired someone with more experience. Apply to the next one.” So today I interviewed for the position of the guy who got the other job.

Obviously they know me well and I recently answered most of the questions but it was still strange for a school administrator position.
-“who inspires you?”
Does this bode well or bad? Definitely felt like a formality but I’m not sure if it was a formality because they have someone else.

My only experiences are on hiring committees. Had a guy tells us that his ideal classroom was one where "no child ever speaks."

He did not make the short list.

Nothing like what you've got though. Good luck!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I suggest we all write up what we think @Dream Jobbed 2.0 answered

-“who inspires you?”
Why you do. You are not only a very successful man but a very attractive one as well.

What do you think? I'm pretty sure I feel the same way.

To work, early. I am all about the job.

Oh I know what you're thinking. Incredibly duck____g sexy! Am I right?

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

-“who inspires you?”

Either you definitely got the job or you definitely didn't get the job. Based on what the HR director told you, there's reason for optimism!

Recently I interviewed a guy who showed up via Zoom in a Cosby-like sweater. No collar. And then in response to my first question ("why are we talking?") he proceeds to tell me, in essence, that his current employer is working him too hard. Didn't get to Round 2. I didn't mind so much that he doesn't want to work around the clock but his lack of judgment in answering the question as he did was a gigantic red flag.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My only experiences are on hiring committees. Had a guy tells us that his ideal classroom was one where "no child ever speaks."

He did not make the short list.

Nothing like what you've got though. Good luck!
Yikes.

I once had a candidate think it was good idea to spontaneously tell a racist joke. That's not the worst part. People defended hiring him after that.

Reaction Score
I forgot we had a candidate cry during a mock lesson once because the kids were goofing off. That was interesting to say the least.

Ironically we did hire her. Because science positions in our town will get 2-3 applications at best. And the other two weren't even certified.

She quit after a year and made my life hell in the process. Sent her entire class to my room multiple times while she cried in her room, got bullied by the kids and didn't know how to stop them. Sent kids misbehaving to my class every day. I was putting out the fires started in her class twice a week... kids fighting, leaving class, etc.. She was awful at her job.

Reaction Score

-“who inspires you?”

I interviewed there right out of college. They made me write an essay on the spot and asked about my favorite restaurants which was odd

Reaction Score
Just had a very strange interview. We’ll see what it means. Circumstances were unusual because it’s an inte/rnal position and I just unsuccessfully interviewed for a similar position a couple weeks ago. HR director told me “they loved me but hired someone with more experience. Apply to the next one.” So today I interviewed for the position of the guy who got the other job.

-“who inspires you?”

My favorite interview question..."which cartoon character do you relate to and why?"

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Yikes.

I once had a candidate think it was good idea to spontaneously tell a racist joke. That's not the worst part. People defended hiring him after that.
My favorite was asking a candidate "How would you handle assigning work in order to follow EEO guidelines?" (or something to that effect.

He starts, "Well, I'm not racist, but sometimes women just can do some of the things men can do."

Other person on interview immediately jumps in. "I'm going to stop you right there. It's not racism, it's sexism and that's not what the question was referring to."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Those quirky interviews are so stupid.

Some HR moron read about a Google interview or something and decided it was a good idea to ask about Big Foot.

-“who inspires you?”

George Washington. Specifically, his face on the extra money I would get from this job.

No. Moron.

Home. Now.

Very, very dangerous.

Reaction Score
Those quirky interviews are so stupid.

Some HR moron read about a Google interview or something and decided it was a good idea to ask about Big Foot.

-“who inspires you?”

George Washington. Specifically, his face on the extra money I would get from this job.

No. Moron.

Home. Now.

Very, very dangerous.
This. I feel like every Tom, Dick, and Harry hiring manager heard a story about some deep questions they asked in an investment banking or private equity interview and now everyone has to include these bizarre questions that are totally useless for 90% of the positions they're asked for and where the hiring managers wouldn't be able to glean any information from the answers even if they were useful.

But if we're giving examples, I had a friend in the PE space who shared two weird interview situations. The first was on a pre-interview dinner where a senior member of the firm just reached across the table during the meal and grabbed something of my friend's plate with his fork and another where the interviewers just walked out of the room without saying a word. Both designed to see what the candidate does but both incredible stupid to me.

Reaction Score
Maybe you are over-analyzing it.

He already knows something or a lot about you from your resume.'

He has his own quirks and odd views and is hoping your answers will gibe with his worldview. If so, and if he is the head honcho with very little accountability to superiors, he is looking for a personality he thinks he can be compatible with.

Of course, he should be considering technical competency and should ask how you would handle hypothetical situations that pop up in the job you are interviewing for.

Doesn't sound like the kind of guy you would want to work for anyway.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No question is worse than - "Tell me about yourself"

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Who inspires you? Jim Calhoun, but Danny Hurley is another good answer.
Do you believe in bigfoot? Depends; does have any eligibilty left?
Travel question: To every UConn game.
Describe yourself: obviously quite intelligent

Reaction Score
A few questions I was asked in an interview for a technical engineering sales job by the corporate recruiter.

1. If you had to lose one of your senses, whch one would it be, and why?

2. What kind of animal would you be, and why? (The sales recruiter I was working with told me the correct answer for this company was the eagle. That was the name of the sales award they gave out each year. So of course, I was an eagle that day)

3. What is the color and smell of success?

I got the job and one of my first conversations I had with my new boss was him laughing after he asked me how I liked the stupid questions they asked at the interview. He said the corporate recruiter thought he was a psychiatrist and loved the weird questions and answers.

Reaction Score
Me and the head of the middle school had a job interview for an open math position last week.

My question: You have a lot of teaching experience no middle school experience. Why teach middle school now?

Answer: Well, my oldest son is in middle school [followed by and three more minutes of words that had nothing to do with the question].

Reaction Score
Bring the Anarchist Cookbook to your first day at the new gig and lay it on your desk - it does limit the dopey requests and inane questions.

Reaction Score
Many years ago, when I was attending law school in the evening division for my first year, I did substitute teaching at Sedgewick Middle School in West Hartford, which then and I think now, is in a prosperous area and I met defiant and disrespectful kids.

When I subbed at Hartford High and Weaver, I had no problems with the kids. I also subbed at Conard and no problems either.

It is that age group with entering adolescence that is the problem.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

-“who inspires you?”

Post/Handle :(

Reaction Score
Either you definitely got the job or you definitely didn't get the job. Based on what the HR director told you, there's reason for optimism!

Recently I interviewed a guy who showed up via Zoom in a Cosby-like sweater. No collar. And then in response to my first question ("why are we talking?") he proceeds to tell me, in essence, that his current employer is working him too hard. Didn't get to Round 2. I didn't mind so much that he doesn't want to work around the clock but his lack of judgment in answering the question as he did was a gigantic red flag.
It's always good to weed out honest people so you can get more psychopaths in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom