Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider)

Reaction Score
CTFAN4LIFE said:
I have a hard time believing this will be all that appealing to fans/tv viewers and or media companies. There's an old expression in business mergers - if you but together two dogs with fleas, you end up with one bigger dog with fleas.

Makes no sense to me. East coast & West coast with nothing between.
It's probably being discussed because you have two conferences with no real good adds. And they are probably palatable to the school presidents as far as rankings and research.

Reaction Score
CTFAN4LIFE said:
I have a hard time believing this will be all that appealing to fans/tv viewers and or media companies. There's an old expression in business mergers - if you but together two dogs with fleas, you end up with one bigger dog with fleas.

It's probably being discussed because you have two conferences with no real good adds. And they are probably palatable to the school presidents as far as rankings and research.
Agreed - seems like a forced marriage doomed for failure.

Reaction Score
I don’t think a merger makes sense either. For every FSU vs. Oregon game, there will be far more Boston College vs. Oregon State games. That will not move the needle.

Reaction Score
How shortsighted the ACC was in who they added through conference realignment. Outside of Miami, I don’t think any former Big East school adds much value to the ACC and most appear to be net losses to the conference.

Meanwhile, look at what adding Rutgers and Maryland did for the B1G.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Makes no sense to me. East coast & West coast with nothing between.
Agree, now bundling the media rights and selling them together is worth looking at.

Reaction Score
CTFAN4LIFE said:

Only possible if divided into east & west and TV deals want it.

Reaction Score
The PAC/ACC Combo makes zero sense. If the ACC is worth 35 million and the PAC is worth 20 million how is a combination of the two leagues suddenly going to be worth significantly more? Nobody cares about these conferences outside of maybe 8-9 teams. That leaves about 15-16 teams that nobody gives a rip about. Nobody is paying for Wake Forest v. Cal or GT v. Washington State. About the only thing that might be additive would be a championship game between the winners of both conferences. That said how much is ESPN or Apple paying for that? Are they going pay 20+ million dollars? Unlikely. Maybe every team gets an extra 500K. This is peanuts when you are talking about the B1G and SEC making potentially 75-100 million per year.

Reaction Score
The PAC/ACC Combo makes zero sense. If the ACC is worth 35 million and the PAC is worth 20 million how is a combination of the two leagues suddenly going to be worth significantly more? Nobody cares about these conferences outside of maybe 8-9 teams. That leaves about 15-16 teams that nobody gives a rip about. Nobody is paying for Wake Forest v. Cal or GT v. Washington State. About the only thing that might be additive would be a championship game between the winners of both conferences. That said how much is ESPN or Apple pay Noboing for that? Are they going pay 20+ million dollars? Unlikely. Maybe every team gets an extra 500K. This is peanuts when you are talking about the B1G and SEC making potentially 75-100 million per year.
Conferences other than the P2 are going to have to do some out of the box thinking. Maybe that involves UConn. Nobody is saying it will be P2 money.

Reaction Score
The North-South ACC from Miami to Syracuse also makes no sense...much like an ACC-PAC

Reaction Score
The North-South ACC from Miami to Syracuse also makes no sense...much like an ACC-PAC
Well, it does kinda. Same time zone and everyone from the northeast eventually moves south from the carolinas to florida. Everyone or half of their family. Maybe not all the way to Syracuse but certainly to CT and NYC. I think that's why it also makes sense for one of the AZ schools to go B1G.

Reaction Score
Well, it does kinda. Same time zone and everyone from the northeast eventually moves south from the carolinas to florida.
Only about 200k retirees move to a different state each year. Most people will never live in the Carolinas or Florida, let alone "everyone from the northeast."

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Didn't Dave Benedict make some vague tweet awhile back about how schools in the future might be parking some programs in one conference and the rest in another? I have no idea if that plays any role or relevance in this.

Reaction Score
Only about 200k retirees move to a different state each year. Most people will never live in the Carolinas or Florida, let alone "everyone from the northeast."
"Everyone or half of their family." exageration? sure. we've personally made many drives south to visit family who have left for greener pastures. And what about non-retirees? No need to wait until you retire to play golf year round.

This guy has an interesting take. It would involve the PAC and most of the ACC.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The biggest problem with the above (dissolved ACC with the eight most attractive members joining the PAC) is that there is no guarantee the successor (bicoastal PAC) will provide media revenues equal to the current ACC.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem with the above (dissolved ACC with the eight most attractive members joining the PAC) is that there is no guarantee the successor (bicoastal PAC) will provide media revenues equal to the current ACC.
True. It would be a nice overall collection of universities but the football powers still likely would'nt get paid. I don't think it would be close to B1G or SEC numbers so it doesn't really make sense. Good attempt though.

CL82

Reaction Score
1677599051855.png

Well, this would be an ironic outcome.

CL82

Reaction Score
Reality check time.
The interesting question would be would anyone be willing to pay members of the Atlantic and Pacific conference more than they are already paying the ACC? That’s what needs to happen for this to be anything other than random realignment musings. I guess that it’s possible that by cherry picking some ACC teams and some Pac 12 teams you could pay them more utilizing the money you would no longer be paying the cast offs whether the actual numbers work, who knows.

There is a lot of deadweight in the P5 and it has often been speculated that in some future iteration, there would be a culling of the week members of the herd. This is a way to do just that. I don’t know if the math works though.

Reaction Score
The interesting question would be would anyone be willing to pay members of the Atlantic and Pacific conference more than they are already paying the ACC? That’s what needs to happen for this to be anything other than random realignment musings. I guess that it’s possible that by cherry picking some ACC teams and some Pac 12 teams you could pay them more utilizing the money you would no longer be paying the cast offs whether the actual numbers work, who knows.

There is a lot of deadweight in the P5 and it has often been speculated that in some future iteration, there would be a culling of the week members of the herd. This is a way to do just that. I don’t know if the math works though.
Agreed - it gets back to the two dogs with fleas scenario and only makes things worse if you don't cull out the fleas. I find it hard to believe University presidents would opt into simply a larger second class system.

Reaction Score
No way any program is going to accept a blatant unequal distribution.

I'll bet what's really got FSU's panties in a bunch is the fact that UCF is going to the Big 12. Not only does UCF have a recent national championship* under its belt and invited to make more cashe, it's going to be traveling to Texas and Oklahoma while FSU makes repeated trips to tobacco road. It's not like Orlando.

View attachment 84463
For a year, then those trips become Waco, Lubbock and Stillwater. That can’t be the bee in fsu’s bonnet.

Reaction Score

“On the surface, FSU has no leverage. Below the surface, FSU has no leverage. You don't just tear up and redo a 10-figure contract with 13 years remaining until its expiry.”

“ A big problem with all of it? There is a finite amount of cash in the ACC deal. If FSU or Clemson or Miami get paid more for winning the ACC, by consequence, the likes of Boston College and Wake Forest will get less.

Complicating matters is FSU making that ask in the middle of the contract where expected revenue has already been budgeted at member schools.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom