Undefeated women’s basketball teams | The Boneyard

Undefeated women’s basketball teams

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
B5AA7541-C2E8-4C61-826C-0C80BD70D2CB.jpeg

Reaction Score
UConn came within a few points of having several more, and would've likely had two more on top of that had EDD not bolted for family reasons.
For sure they would have won the 2017 Natty against USC had that little pest of a PG made that remarkable shot over Gabby! That would have been a five-peat!

Reaction Score
It's incredibly difficult to go undefeated and it often times means the team has to be healthy and likely have a little bit of luck along the way. Four of the six UConn teams really didn't have what I'd call "close calls" during the year and they were overall healthy so it's also a testament to program excellence cultivated over a period of many years. SC could be heading that way themselves with the trajectory their program is taking now.

Reaction Score
When UConn went undefeated they had several players that would have been the best player on any other team. That level of talent on one team is much more difficult to get now but UConn if healthy has a few that would fall into that category on next years roster. Like others have said, you must be healthy and have a couple breaks go your way too. The one thing about UConn though is they don't play down to their competition which means they won't be upset by a lesser team so it is possible.

Reaction Score
For sure they would have won the 2017 Natty against USC had that little pest of a PG made that remarkable shot over Gabby! That would have been a five-peat!
If only that pesky logo shooting guard for Iowa hadn't upset our applecart last year . . .

Aren't "if's" fun??

I wonder how many backdoor champs there have been? Us in '17. LSU last year. Others?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If only that pesky logo shooting guard for Iowa hadn't upset our applecart last year . . .

Aren't "if's" fun??

I wonder how many backdoor champs there have been? Us in '17. LSU last year. Others?
S. Carolina was a #1 seed in '17, not sure how "backdoor" that is.

Texas A&M (#3 seed) in 2011.

Reaction Score
S. Carolina was a #1 seed in '17, not sure how "backdoor" that is.

Texas A&M (#3 seed) in 2011.
UConn was THE number one seed and undefeated in 2017 and had soundly beaten the Cocks in the regular season. They may have been the better team, but SCar got the back door pass when MsSt beat UConn in the semi-finals.

SCar was THE number one and undefeated in 2023 and had soundly beaten LSU in the regular season. They may have been the better team, but LSU got the backdoor pass when Iowa beat SCar in the semi-finals,

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UConn was THE number one seed and undefeated in 2017 and had soundly beaten the Cocks in the regular season. They may have been the better team, but SCar got the back door pass when MsSt beat UConn in the semi-finals.

SCar was THE number one and undefeated in 2023 and had soundly beaten LSU in the regular season. They may have been the better team, but LSU got the backdoor pass when Iowa beat SCar in the semi-finals,
I can see LSU. But how can a #1 seed be a back door???

Reaction Score
I can see LSU. But how can a #1 seed be a back door???
Backdoor champ = Not THE number 1seed + previous beatdown by THE number one seed who remained unbeaten til' the semis?

You mean you haven't seen any UConn fans refer to our 2017 Championship as being backdoors? Yeah, it's still a championship, but we know we weren't the best team that year. Logical LSU fans know they weren't the best team last year but they can still be proud of it.

Reaction Score

Aren't "if's" fun??

A hot take for discussion: UConn in 2013. Louisville upsets Baylor, who was expected to repeat and had already beaten UConn that season. UConn probably wasn’t going to lose a 4th time to ND in one season regardless, but they could have very much lost a close rematch against Baylor.

Reaction Score
A hot take for discussion: UConn in 2013. Louisville upsets Baylor, who was expected to repeat and had already beaten UConn that season. UConn probably wasn’t going to lose a 4th time to ND in one season regardless, but they could have very much lost a close rematch against Baylor.
If 2017 SC was “back door” so is 2013 UConn. Baylor was the heavy favorite but just didn’t pull it out.

Really the most random champ of the last 20 years is A&M but they won fair and square.

Reaction Score
Shout out to Baylor & UConn for going 40-0!! That is pretty darn impressive. Then for our beloved UConn program to have three 39-0 seasons along with the Lady Vols! Simply Amazing!! Then we have equally amazing are the 38-0 squads of UConn and South Carolina. Outstanding!! Just a wonderful list and looking forward to seeing, hopefully I am still around, other programs join that list. Congrats to all the programs that are on the list.

Reaction Score
One thing is for sure nowadays is that UConn is going to go 18-0 during the regular season in the East. Then add 3 more wins during the Tournament. That’s 21 and 0. I’m not sure who is on our schedule this coming season other than South Carolina. If we have a loaded and injured team them and possible Texas if they are on the schedule would be the two teams that would difficult wins.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If 2017 SC was “back door” so is 2013 UConn. Baylor was the heavy favorite but just didn’t pull it out.

Really the most random champ of the last 20 years is A&M but they won fair and square.

Baylor squeaked by UConn in the regular season game in 2013 as UConn got nothing from Stewart and Jefferson. Both were different players by the tourney and UConn was a different team.

That A&M title came during Maya Moore's final season when UConn lost one game going into the Final Four before losing to ND. Della Donne would've been a junior on that team had she not transferred.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
One thing is for sure nowadays is that UConn is going to go 18-0 during the regular season in the East. Then add 3 more wins during the Tournament. That’s 21 and 0. I’m not sure who is on our schedule this coming season other than South Carolina. If we have a loaded and injured team them and possible Texas if they are on the schedule would be the two teams that would difficult wins.
Geno typically schedules brutal non-conference teams. I don't think UCONN is projected to be fully healthy by November either (Griffin/Fudd less than a year recovered from ACLs). South Carolina looks like the clear cut #1 team going into next year and I'm not sure if the matchup vs UCONN will be in Storrs or in Columbia? Texas should be even better next year too, along with Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Geno typically schedules brutal non-conference teams. I don't think UCONN is projected to be fully healthy by November either (Griffin/Fudd less than a year recovered from ACLs). South Carolina looks like the clear cut #1 team going into next year and I'm not sure if the matchup vs UCONN will be in Storrs or in Columbia? Texas should be even better next year too, along with Notre Dame.
UConn will play SCar in Columbia. This is the makeup for the Covid year cancellation of the game in z Columbia.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Backdoor champ = Not THE number 1seed + previous beatdown by THE number one seed who remained unbeaten til' the semis?

You mean you haven't seen any UConn fans refer to our 2017 Championship as being backdoors? Yeah, it's still a championship, but we know we weren't the best team that year. Logical LSU fans know they weren't the best team last year but they can still be proud of it.
I just don't consider a #1 seed to be a back door champ. I figure if you're a #1 seed, you got a pretty good shot.

I try not to pay too much attention to what "fans" think. :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Yeah... TAMU beat the defending champ and #1 seed Baylor, #1 Seed Stanford, and #2 ND to win its championship. No fluke at all. No backdoor champ either

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yeah... TAMU beat the defending champ and #1 seed Baylor, #1 Seed Stanford, and #2 ND to win its championship. No fluke at all. No backdoor champ either

edit. Baylor wasn't the defending champs in 2011

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn will play SCar in Columbia. This is the makeup for the Covid year cancellation of the game in z Columbia.
I haven't paid attention to who's staying, who is coming and who's going for you guys. How do you think you will be next year? Do you think you have the firepower for a repeat?

Reaction Score
I haven't paid attention to who's staying, who is coming and who's going for you guys. How do you think you will be next year? Do you think you have the firepower for a repeat?
Cardoso is leaving. That’s all.

Joyce z Edwards, Maddy MCDaniel and Adhel Tac are incoming frosh. We will have the firepower. Will we have the paint defense with Kamilla gone?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom