Uconn's top 10 recruiting | The Boneyard

Uconn's top 10 recruiting

Reaction Score
It's been mentioned a lot today and all season how we have to play the freshmen and we're now 40% of the way through the schedule and only 1 freshman is playing out of a top 10 recruiting class and there's nothing pointing to that changing. This is a problem.

Reaction Score
Or maybe the 2 super raw freshman who everyone talked about not getting minutes as freshman are adjusting to the college game still. I'm at the point where I'm ready to give them a few minutes, but I think the Boneyard has some serious backup QB syndrome with Diggins/Johnson

Reaction Score
Or maybe the 2 super raw freshman who everyone talked about not getting minutes as freshman are adjusting to the college game still. I'm at the point where I'm ready to give them a few minutes, but I think the Boneyard has some serious backup QB syndrome with Diggins/Johnson
I agree with this for the most part, but I do think giving Diggins 5 minutes for the sake of his own development would have been fine on a night like last night where Gaffney was really off and Cole sat for an extended period of time in the first half.

Regardless, it’s minor and likely wouldn’t have had much of an impact to the outcome of the game.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
How can they get adjusted to the college game when they don’t play?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Regardless, it’s minor and likely wouldn’t have had much of an impact to the outcome of the game.
You are probably right that it would have probably had minimal impact yesterday. But the problem is that not giving them time and experience now will have a large impact in March and in 2022-2023.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see what a line-up of Diggins, Hawkins, Jackson, Johnson, and Akok/Springs would look like, even if for a short 5 minute run. It might be pure chaos but the chicks have to learn to fly. Sink or swim. We have 3 grad students and a senior who we thought would be dominating other teams, but they aren't. Maybe they are hampering progress of others.

Reaction Score
Calhoun played Freshman in his later years...2011 was Kemba and mostly Freshman (Napier, Roscoe, Giff, Lamb) that played tons and made some bonehead plays but they fueled that team with Kemba.

2012 Boat, Daniels and Drummond of course played tons as Freshman as well

Reaction Score
I don’t recall Diggins being considered raw?
Maybe raw isn't the right term, but when he committed here nobody expected minutes from his freshman year because his defense wasn't going to be ready. It's just funny seeing the same people who posted rotations all offseason with no Diggins now complain that he's not playing in the rotation

Reaction Score
When Sanogo comes back, Johnson’s got a tough path to PT so we probably won’t see him too too much. Keep saying it but still surprised we haven’t seen much of Diggins at all. Think they’ve got a find a way to get him some short spurts in these games with the veteran line up around him and see what he can do. For a team that doesn’t have many ball handlers, working in a freshmen point guard would be helpful.

Reaction Score
Maybe raw isn't the right term, but when he committed here nobody expected minutes from his freshman year because his defense wasn't going to be ready. It's just funny seeing the same people who posted rotations all offseason with no Diggins now complain that he's not playing in the rotation
When he committed here nobody expected minutes from his freshman year?

This is clearly untrue.

Reaction Score
How can they get adjusted to the college game when they don’t play?
I think a lot of the frustration with Diggins and Johnson’s playing time has a lot to do with the fact they never saw many minutes vs the cupcakes on the schedule since that would have been the time to develop them. Practice vs real games is a whole different world. These guys needed to see minutes to develop.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree somewhat. But as I noted in a different post, I’d rather see freshman mistakes than upper classmen mistakes. Because, hopefully, the freshman will learn from them.

Reaction Score
Agree somewhat. But as I noted in a different post, I’d rather see freshman mistakes than upper classmen mistakes. Because, hopefully, the freshman will learn from them.
Same here, but that's not the feeling I get from most of these posts. People talk about Diggjns and Johnson as if they're the saviors for our season

Reaction Score
Same here, but that's not the feeling I get from most of these posts. People talk about Diggjns and Johnson as if they're the saviors for our season
I think most people want to just see something different. And if it’s worse then go back, but might as well try it. Because any time we play good teams we struggle to get 60 points.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen anyone post like that. People are saying Diggins should get spot minutes to give Cole a rest and because Gaffney can't play point and is so bad this season. People want to see Samson get some minutes to develop because he has so much talent which Hurley has talked up.

When the veterans can't get it done and coach is trying the whole square peg in a round hole thing I think most would like to see the talented freshman at least get a chance.

Reaction Score
The fact that Hawk is playing but the other 2 aren’t says something about the other 2
And he looks completely lost out there. At one point We were making a run, he finally comes back in and he ran directly into Martin on a dribble hand off causing Whaley to travel.

Reaction Score
Well that's just BS. I think most here just want a glimpse of Diggins to see if he can be more effective than Gaffney. If RD doesn't perform you take him out. Pretty simple. I have a feeling Rahsool may be overwhelmed on the defensive end but I for one would give him a chance. And it's not like Jalen is dominating his man on D

Reaction Score
Well that's just BS. I think most here just want a glimpse of Diggins to see if he can be more effective than Gaffney. If RD doesn't perform you take him out. Pretty simple. I have a feeling Rahsool may be overwhelmed on the defensive end but I for one would give him a chance. And it's not like Jalen is dominating his man on D either side of the ball

Reaction Score
When he committed here nobody expected minutes from his freshman year?

This is clearly untrue.
That was the talk all offseason on here and after he committed. People can certainly change their tune now and I'd like to see him getting a few minutes over Gaffney. But that doesn't take away all the talk after he committed and all offseason about what the rotation would be for this season

Reaction Score
That was the talk all offseason on here and after he committed. People can certainly change their tune now and I'd like to see him getting a few minutes over Gaffney. But that doesn't take away all the talk after he committed and all offseason about what the rotation would be for this season
From what I remember people were saying 5-10 minutes for him. Which he certainly hasn’t got.

Reaction Score
That wasn't the talk when he committed, the talk was we got a stud point guard who is the 50th ranked recruit in the country and he would get time right away. Heading into the season and at the start of the season when Hurley never talked about Diggins and Hurley was talking about "9 starters" it became obvious which players he was talking about because they were the ones he would mention.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom