UConn+ | The Boneyard

UConn+

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see what this does for our existing deals with CBSSN, SNY, etc.

Nervous theyre going to lose the CBBSN football deal and stick games on here

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see what this does for our existing deals with CBSSN, SNY, etc.

Nervous theyre going to lose the CBBSN football deal and stick games on here
This seems to me like more of a way to stream Olympic sports to the hardcore fans and up the schools digital production program. They talk about in the press release how ESPN and NBC Sports are in state and students will be working and getting degrees in the production.

Reaction Score
Way back when, UConn started something like this when cable TV was the new technology. It ended up turning into ESPN.
I also remember when Channel 8 New Haven used to carry their games. I believe they jumped on the bandwagon mid season when they started broadcasting. This is back in the early Calhoun years when he was building his foundation with Smitty/Nadav/Tate and the boys.

Reaction Score
I don't see how any lives games are able to make their way on here given Big East owns T3 rights so all olympic sports are tied to FloSports (i think that includes out of conference games).

The only content I can think of not bound by any conference long term are basketball exhibitions (FOX, FS1, FS2 doesn't pick these up ever), football games not picked up by CBS Sports (or other network / service TBD in future) and then First Night.

Maybe add hockey games not against Hockey East opponents (OOC), but after that I think the list is short unless agreements and / or carveouts are created.

That's not a complaint just an observation; even if the takeaway is we get more off the field / court content like we have seen in basketball and football recently that's great, but I also don't see why YouTube can't continue to facilitate what they have been doing today.

I am very curious to see what comes of this since the press release is vague but this seems like a net positive.

EDIT: there are actually a couple other things I could see them broadcast that isn't viewable today: swim and dive, track & field, cross country, rowing, golf and tennis. So that would be a huge value add for those programs.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I also remember when Channel 8 New Haven used to carry their games. I believe they jumped on the bandwagon mid season when they started broadcasting. This is back in the early Calhoun years when he was building his foundation with Smitty/Nadav/Tate and the boys.
UConn always had decent local over-the-air coverage, going back to Dee Rowe.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I can see mens and womens soccer, Baseball, softball, some ice hockey and field hockey all being seen on this format. I'd be ok with a nominal fee/yearly subscription. Love it

Reaction Score
I don't see how any lives games are able to make their way on here given Big East owns T3 rights so all olympic sports are tied to FloSports (i think that includes out of conference games).

The only content I can think of not bound by any conference long term are basketball exhibitions (FOX, FS1, FS2 doesn't pick these up ever), football games not picked up by CBS Sports (or other network / service TBD in future) and then First Night.

Maybe add hockey games not against Hockey East opponents (OOC), but after that I think the list is short unless agreements and / or carveouts are created.

That's not a complaint just an observation; even if the takeaway is we get more off the field / court content like we have seen in basketball and football recently that's great, but I also don't see why YouTube can't continue to facilitate what they have been doing today.

I am very curious to see what comes of this since the press release is vague but this seems like a net positive.

EDIT: there are actually a couple other things I could see them broadcast that isn't viewable today: swim and dive, track & field, cross country, rowing, golf and tennis. So that would be a huge value add for those programs.
I would love to be able to watch UConn hockey games.

Reaction Score
I can see mens and womens soccer, Baseball, softball, some ice hockey and field hockey all being seen on this format. I'd be ok with a nominal fee/yearly subscription. Love it
Other than M/W ice hockey (covered under Hockey East Agreement), the other sports above would be covered under the Big East Media Rights covenant (pages 17/18/19 below):

Executed Big East Contract

Reaction Score
This really isn't about showing live events....think of it as the UConn News Network. It will be mostly sports, but will have other content as well. This has been being developed behind the scenes for quite some time. While you may not be able to watch a live hockey game or basketball game on UConn +, who wouldn't love to tune into a preview show with coach Hurley or a weekly recap? You'll be seeing a lot more "documentary" type pieces similar to what Netflix puts out at a high clip with behind the scenes stories. I personally can't wait, I think this just adds value to the UConn brand.

Reaction Score
This really isn't about showing live events....think of it as the UConn News Network. It will be mostly sports, but will have other content as well. This has been being developed behind the scenes for quite some time. While you may not be able to watch a live hockey game or basketball game on UConn +, who wouldn't love to tune into a preview show with coach Hurley or a weekly recap? You'll be seeing a lot more "documentary" type pieces similar to what Netflix puts out at a high clip with behind the scenes stories. I personally can't wait, I think this just adds value to the UConn brand.
I agree with this. Also UConn has been employing people to write stories and produce video content so it makes sense to put it all together and enhance it. (Remember when Andy Katz was employed by UConn?) Traditional media coverage has declined considerably so schools like UConn are filling the void and enhancing the content.

Reaction Score
Way back when, UConn started something like this when cable TV was the new technology. It ended up turning into ESPN.
I remember watching a UConn baseball game .Cable was just getting getting going in our area

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Anything UConn can do to feed us more behind the scenes stuff on the basketball (and other sports) programs is welcome in my book. I pay $30 a year to read discussion by fans on here. I'll pay something similar to get real insights from the team/staff/players themselves.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
As long as they don’t move all the practice highlights behind a paywall, I’m fine with it. That would be next level greedy.

Reaction Score
Dean College has a sports broadcasting program. They have students broadcast on the radio and something called Dean TV, where if you are local you can see or hear every sporting event, and the kids get hands on experience including having to track statistics for all the events. Their sports management program is heavily supported by the Patriots.

Maybe UConn can start a program like this and start filling the halls of ESPN with UConn grads.

Reaction Score
My guess is they won’t put this behind a subscription paywall (at least at first) assuming they can generate enough ad revenue to cover the costs.

Essentially the content you’ll see here is the stuff you’d typically see on YouTube — except now UConn has control of the sponsorship and doesn’t need to split any revenue with YouTube. It looks like it will be available on the major platforms, so shouldn’t be any more difficult for fans to gain access to than YouTube.

Reaction Score
My guess is they won’t put this behind a subscription paywall (at least at first) assuming they can generate enough ad revenue to cover the costs.

Essentially the content you’ll see here is the stuff you’d typically see on YouTube — except now UConn has control of the sponsorship and doesn’t need to split any revenue with YouTube. It looks like it will be available on the major platforms, so shouldn’t be any more difficult for fans to gain access to than YouTube.
I don't think there is any chance this starts up without a paywall. There is not going to be enough free interest in this to generate any meaningful ad revenue to make this profitable, for any party, without a subscription base. Anything with a plus sign attached to it generally indicates a fee based platform (disney plus, espn plus etc). If it was going to be free, they certainly should have mentioned that when they revealed it.

I 100% hope you are right though. I do see them providing the first month free, or a reduced annual fee, to get folks onboard.

Reaction Score
A couple questions on UConn+ answered in this Courant story:

<UConn+ is expected to launch in late November and will stream features, live events, coaches’ shows, highlights and other on-demand content. The streaming service will be sponsorship-driven, according to UConn’s Vice President for Communications, Tysen Kendig, and the content will be free.>

<Also unaffected will be content currently available on the Big East Conference’s digital platform and its affiliation with FloSports.>

Reaction Score
I don't think there is any chance this starts up without a paywall. There is not going to be enough free interest in this to generate any meaningful ad revenue to make this profitable, for any party, without a subscription base. Anything with a plus sign attached to it generally indicates a fee based platform (disney plus, espn plus etc). If it was going to be free, they certainly should have mentioned that when they revealed it.

I 100% hope you are right though. I do see them providing the first month free, or a reduced annual fee, to get folks onboard.

Salesforce + is free!

Reaction Score
Hadn't even considered them trying to charge for this, if they do this is gonna be a massive failure. Nobody is paying a monthly subscription for a few coach interviews and behind the scenes videos

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom