UConn women's basketball to hire assistant coach...update | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn women's basketball to hire assistant coach...update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I found that there was some controversy that resulted after Cardoza suspended 2 players in 2013 for breaking team rules.
One of the players ended up getting dismissed from the team 2 months later and complained that she didn't know what she did wrong. And she also expressed personal complaints about Cardoza which one would expect from a player with sour grapes.
But still quite unusual to read about regarding most popular coaches.

But it also appears that Cardoza has had quite a few other players transfer out of Temple.
Between the time that she got the Temple job in 2008 & 2014, a total of 14 players had transferred out of Temple & that was before the transfer portal.
Apparently many players had serious enough issues with her to want to transfer & sit out a year.
I have no idea how many transferred after 2014 during Cardoza's tenure.
I hope that she doesn't cause any UConn players to become disgruntled.
There's bound to be rumors about Cardoza being whispered behind the scenes among our players & maybe from players on other teams too.
Perhaps Cardoza has a reputation among players that may not all be good.

Sources:

No argument is intended here, but there are two sides to every story. Until BOTH sides are heard, it's unfair to arrive at a conclusion about these incidents. Because these incidents are "in-house" behind-closed-door business, the facts surrounding those dismissals and transfers can't and won't be discussed beyond those closed doors. I find it interesting that an athlete can be suspended and suggest they were not told or know why. They know. Most of the time is for a violation of team rules which every player knows and is very familiar with.

If a head coach suspends a player, it is his/her duty (not an assistant) to sit the player down in the office behind closed doors and explain to them why. Often assistant coaches will also weigh in on a suspension with the player, as will teammates. We don't know the agenda some of these players subscribe to. We must recognize the possibility that there may be some friction or an unwillingness for returning players to "buy in" to a new coach's program and philosophy when they were not recruited by THAT new coach, nor did they commit to that college/university to play for THAT coach. It's a two-way street.

This is why newly hired head coaches meet with each returning player to see if they want to continue to attend the university and play for them. I remember reading about Kara Lawson and Kim Mulkey "paring" their roster of some of the returning players they didn't want or who expressed a desire to transfer soon after they were hired at their new schools. They needed those scholarships to bring in players they wanted to pursue from the portal.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
No argument is intended here, but there are two sides to every story. Until BOTH sides are heard, it's unfair to arrive at a conclusion about these incidents. Because these incidents are "in-house" behind-closed-door business, the facts surrounding those dismissals and transfers can't and won't be discussed beyond those closed doors. I find it interesting that an athlete can be suspended and suggest they were not told or know why. They know. Most of the time is for a violation of team rules which every player knows and is very familiar with.

If a head coach suspends a player, it is his/her duty (not an assistant) to sit the player down in the office behind closed doors and explain to them why. Often assistant coaches will also weigh in on a suspension with the player, as will teammates. We don't know the agenda some of these players subscribe to. We must recognize the possibility that there may be some friction or an unwillingness for returning players to "buy in" to a new coach's program and philosophy when they were not recruited by THAT new coach, nor did they commit to that college/university to play for THAT coach. It's a two-way street.

This is why newly hired head coaches meet with each returning player to see if they want to continue to attend the university and play for them. I remember reading about Kara Lawson and Kim Mulkey "paring" their roster of some of the returning players they didn't want or who expressed a desire to transfer soon after they were hired at their new schools. They needed those scholarships to bring in players they wanted to pursue from the portal.
I think that it was the termination of the player that led to the comment that she didn't know why.
The last article I posted said that she completed community service which should have restored her status instead of leading to termination.
But that's not the only issue.
There were many other players that transferred including a leading scorer before her senior year.
And it appears that it's being blamed on the team culture, inconsistent coaching and other things mentioned.
This is not only one player but many players.
People haven't transferred from UConn & publically claimed such things about Geno even though perhaps they could if they really wanted to.
It's a bad look for Cardoza that can rub off on UConn due to the hire.
But it's not only about a single player.
For an accomplished player(s) to transfer & sit out a year because the coach seriously rubbed them the wrong way is a big deal.
It could indicate that the HC has too hard of an attitude.
I'm not too pleased to hear that there were complaints that led to so many transfers.
Some things are understandable while others can't be covered up & swept under the rug.
You don't see Cardoza being hired as a head coach right now because she has some baggage, & in some respects she's accepting a demotion.
That's opposed to Shea Ralph who hired Katie Lou, an inexperienced coach but a reputable current superstar

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I think that it was the termination of the player that led to the comment that she didn't know why.
The last article I posted said that she completed community service which should have restored her status instead of leading to termination.
There were many other players that transferred including a leading scorer before her senior year.
And it appears that it's being blamed on the team culture, inconsistent coaching and other things mentioned.
People haven't transferred from UConn & publically claimed such things about Geno even though perhaps they could if they really wanted to.
For an accomplished player(s) to transfer & sit out a year because the coach seriously rubbed them the wrong way is a big deal.
I'm not too pleased to hear that there were complaints that led to so many transfers.
Some things are understandable while others can't be covered up.
I remember that at the time of Tonya's termination from Temple, Geno was very upset t the surrounding events and made comments that disparaged the university.

sun

Reaction Score
I remember that at the time of Tonya's termination from Temple, Geno was very upset t the surrounding events and made comments that disparaged the university.
He called Jamelle's firing from Cincinnati disgraceful but I didn't hear him say anything bad about Temple.
Was it on video, in print or during a podcast or somewhere else?

Reaction Score
This may not be PC, but it could be the caliber of players Tonya had access to at that program versus those at UConn....Tonya didn't get a lot of support in the facilities department which means she couldn't attract the highest caliber.

I can see Tonya having high expectations that the recruits she had access to couldn't meet... I don't think that says anything about her skill with teaching UConn caliber players. It tells me she wasn't going to accept mediocrity or lack of maturity antics that young people can display.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This may not be PC, but it could be the caliber of players Tonya had access to at that program versus those at UConn....Tonya didn't get a lot of support in the facilities department which means she couldn't attract the highest caliber.

I can see Tonya having high expectations that the recruits she had access to couldn't meet... I don't think that says anything about her skill with teaching UConn caliber players. It tells me she wasn't going to accept mediocrity or lack of maturity antics that young people can display.
Hello!!! :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carl Adamec, Staff Writer
July 6, 2023

UConn women's basketball job opening points to one person. Five things to know about Tonya Cardoza.​

"NCAA Division I Council approving an additional coach for women's basketball in January, there's an opening for a staff position that has former Huskies' assistant Tonya Cardoza's name all over it.

According to the job posting, the minimum qualifications for the position include 10 or more years of head coaching experience in a Division I program and coaching in NCAA Division I national championship games. The preferred qualifications include "collegiate basketball national champion coach." Cardoza, who was at UConn from 1994-2008, was the head coach at Temple before she was let go after 14 years following the 2021-22 season. While she was on the Huskies' staff, UConn played in five national championship games and won them all."

This is low hanging fruit. The consensus of the Boneyard is that Cardoza will be hired to fill this position. If Cardoza is not named as the new coach, I'll eat my turban, and step back into the shadows. :eek:

Reaction Score
Carl Adamec, Staff Writer
July 6, 2023

UConn women's basketball job opening points to one person. Five things to know about Tonya Cardoza.​

"NCAA Division I Council approving an additional coach for women's basketball in January, there's an opening for a staff position that has former Huskies' assistant Tonya Cardoza's name all over it.

According to the job posting, the minimum qualifications for the position include 10 or more years of head coaching experience in a Division I program and coaching in NCAA Division I national championship games. The preferred qualifications include "collegiate basketball national champion coach." Cardoza, who was at UConn from 1994-2008, was the head coach at Temple before she was let go after 14 years following the 2021-22 season. While she was on the Huskies' staff, UConn played in five national championship games and won them all."

This is low hanging fruit. The consensus of the Boneyard is that Cardoza will be hired to fill this position. If Cardoza is not named as the new coach, I'll eat my turban, and step back into the shadows. :eek:

"If Cardoza is not named as the new coach, I'll eat my turban, and step back into the shadows."
tenor.gif

Carnac

Reaction Score
"If Cardoza is not named as the new coach, I'll eat my turban, and step back into the shadows."
View attachment 89484

UConn women's basketball to hire assistant coach.

One coach who meets all of the those narrow qualifications: former UConn assistant Tonya Cardoza, who was head coach at Temple from 2008 to 2022. Cardoza was a member of the UConn staff from 1994 to 2008 and part of five NCAA title teams. The only other "high profile" former coach that meets these qualification is our girl Muffet McGraw. I don't think she's looking for work. The print media is all over Tonya Cardoza being the front-runner for the job. Can you image........just for a moment the reaction of the Boneyard if Muffet McGraw was hired? WTH?!? :eek:

Reaction Score
Some things are understandable while others can't be covered up & swept under the rug.
You don't see Cardoza being hired as a head coach right now because she has some baggage, & in some respects she's accepting a demotion.
That's opposed to Shea Ralph who hired Katie Lou, an inexperienced coach but a reputable current superstar
I will apologize in advance for singling you (and others) out, even if you cannot use that for anything, but unless you are in the 'know' here-- and you failed to convince me that you are-- should you be saying all these things about the coach? Much of this seems to hover around 'character'. In the years that I have been following Uconn with her as an assistant, nothing have been said about her that would lead me to say-- o'k, that could have happened. Students, customers and even the 'unwashed' can be merciless when it comes to their cause(s). I remember a former player, recently, saying that she was leaving Uconn because she wanted a better education (and it wasn't to what all here would agree to be a top school.
If the person in question should return to the Bench here, you will have to say a lot more to back up your intimation that she may tarnish Uconn image ("some baggage." (And I will leave unexamined here your final comment linking her with KS-- the latter being high character while the former is clearly damaged!!!! Wow wow wow.

Reaction Score
I know little about Cardoza but was hoping to hear that she was either a great skills or strategy coach. Not sure Huskies need more longevity.

sun

Reaction Score
Troubling.
But of course, we'll never hear the whole story from either perspective.
In 2014-15, Rateska Brown ended up playing for the NAIA Oklahoma City University Stars where she
averaged 19.1 PPG, 29.1 minutesPG, .452 FG%, .386 3PT%.
She was the team's leading scorer & OCU won the 2014 NAIA National Championship.
OCU finished with a 30-2 record.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Troubling.
But of course, we'll never hear the whole story from either perspective.
Okay I get it "Sun" doesn't like Tonya .....

But boiling down the above article from the player's perspective it appears there was a "clique" within the team that was disgruntled over playing time.

A "clique" is bad news for any team's cohesion.

sun

Reaction Score
Okay I get it "Sun" doesn't like Tonya .....

But boiling down the above article from the player's perspective it appears there was a "clique" within the team that was disgruntled over playing time.

A "clique" is bad news for any team's cohesion.
That article has even worse details than the ones that I posted.
Folks can't always blame the victims when there's a pattern being reported.
The complaints could be the tip of the iceberg that eventually led to her termination & losing seasons.
The opinion of the student athletes are important too even if they're negative.
Thanks for sharing it.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That article has even worse details than the ones that I posted.
Folks can't always blame the victims when there's a pattern being reported.
The complaints could be the tip of the iceberg that eventually led to her termination & losing seasons.
The opinion of the student athletes are important too even if they're negative.
Thanks for sharing it.
“Worse details?” After reading the entire article, all I see is a player, who had discipline issues, unhappy about her PT, that decided to complain to a reporter. Transfers happen all over WBB, usually because of PT, and there isn’t a single player who transfers who doesn’t believe that the coach was mistaken in not playing them more.

Look at all the players that MD & Louisville lost in the past. When Kim showed up in Baton Rouge she cleaned house, running off half the team. Even Geno has had his issues with transfers. Remember Megan Walker’s highly touted freshman class. 3/4 transferred out and Walker left early, without a degree. I also seem to recall that Saylor Poffenberger’s mother had a few unkind things to say about UConn after her daughter transferred to Arkansas.

Geno worked with Tanya for 14 seasons. He is probably as good a judge of her character and ability as anyone. Tanya’s success at Temple speaks for itself. If she does end up filling the new Assistant Coach position at UConn the Huskies will be extremely lucky to have her.

Reaction Score
Geno has has a specific purpose in creating position requirements that make Tonya Cardozo the likely new assistant coach. I am sure that Cardozo’s skills as a teacher of defense and her ability to recruit are part of her skill set.

However, in evaluating her anticipated choice, we would be foolhardy to ignore two potentially salient issues. The first is the imbroglio in which she appeared to lose control of her players. And the second is the fact that, while she coached Temple for the requisite ten years, in her last four years, her teams were essentially mediocre. I do not know whether she quit Temple or was fired. It seems likely to me that her Division 1 head coaching career was over.

I end my comments with a suggestion. Compare the coaching records of Tonya Cardozo and Carla Berube. (I understand that Berube has been falls short in the ten year requirement.). Without the assistance of full ride athletic scholarships, Berube’s career is on a clear upswing. If one posits Carla Berube as Geno’s ultimate successor, then bringing her on staff now as an assistant makes good sense.

Reaction Score
If one posits Carla Berube as Geno’s ultimate successor, then bringing her on staff now as an assistant makes good sense
While I like the sound of this, Carla doesn’t look like she’s in a hurry to leave Princeton. She may eventually be Geno’s successor, but she appears to be enjoying what she’s doing quite a bit.

Reaction Score
While I like the sound of this, Carla doesn’t look like she’s in a hurry to leave Princeton. She may eventually be Geno’s successor, but she appears to be enjoying what she’s doing quite a bit.

And I hope Geno's not in a hurry to leave, either. But when he does, Carla is my top choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom