UConn women's basketball to hire assistant coach...update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn women's basketball to hire assistant coach...update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
True, but maybe, too, this new hire could switch roles with a current coach? Like, if Morgan wanted to travel less in order to spend more time with her 1 year-old?
Agreed!! I see no reason why that can't be done. A simple matter of "role reversal", or job reclassification. If you hire an additional coach, what's to say she/he can't come in and be assigned to the role of one of the current coaches, and reassign one of the current coaches to the role of a new hire coach (not being able to recruit off campus)? :eek: That's thinking "outside of the box" like a good administrator. ;)

UNLESS....................the NCAA strictly forbids that kind of reclassification of coaches and their assignments/responsibilities within the ranks. :(

Reaction Score
Agreed!! I see no reason why that can't be done. A simple matter of "role reversal", or job reclassification. If you hire an additional coach, what's to say she/he can't come in and be assigned to the role of one of the current coaches, and reassign one of the current coaches to the role of a new hire coach (not being able to recruit off campus)? :eek: That's thinking "outside of the box" like a good administrator. ;)

UNLESS....................the NCAA strictly forbids that kind of reclassification of coaches and their assignments/responsibilities within the ranks. :(

The NCAA has always allowed that sort of role changing. For example, if a coach was ill or recovering from surgery etc, it was completely OK to move the Director of Basketball Ops up to a recruiting role while the regular assistant recovered. That has happened on many occasions. The only proviso is that the coach who moves into a temporary recruiting role must pass the NCAA test on recruiting rules.

Reaction Score
I predict this board is going to have a tough time keeping straight Cardoza and Cardoso. Can't wait for the season to start.
Reminds me of an article many years ago when the author referred to the Coach as Gino.

Reaction Score
I was delighted to meet her (and Jamelle) during tournament time in 2014. They graciously let me snap a pic:
1658382_10203147275744846_92391586_o.jpeg

Reaction Score
Has any coach from Geno’s assistant coaching trees has been successful coaching somewhere else?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Has any coach from Geno’s assistant coaching trees has been successful coaching somewhere else?
Carla Berube, but she was a former player.

Jen Rizzotti was a longtime coach in Hartford in for USA women's basketball.

And "precious" is an assistant at UCF.

I'm sure there are more.

Reaction Score
Carla Berube, but she was a former player.

Jen Rizzotti was a longtime coach in Hartford in for USA women's basketball.

And "precious" is an assistant at UCF.

I'm sure there are more.
When Jen was at Hartford, she was kind enough to share her core values of her Hartford program with us at one of her coaching clinics. Always answered her emails (or she had an assistant who answered the emails :D) Bottom line, she responded and many coaches don't respond often to us high school basketball coaches.

Reaction Score
UCONN WBB Weekly stated "While there are plenty of coaches who could qualify (Kim Mulkey, Dawn Staley, every current UConn coach aside from Morgan Valley), Cardoza is the only one who’s currently a realistic free agent — unless Muffet McGraw plans to come out of
retirement. Muffet McGraw come out of retirement, to work for Geno?

Pop Tv Laughing GIF by Schitt's Creek

Times Up Friends GIF by AsmodeeGames

Reaction Score
In UCONN WBB WEEKLY TODAY:

Is Tonya Cardoza returning to UConn?​

The Huskies posted a job opening for a new assistant coach and there's one person who checks all the boxes.

Is Tonya Cardoza primed to return to UConn?​

UConn women’s basketball will have an additional assistant coach for the 2023-24 season thanks to a rule change by the NCAA. Teams can hire two additional coaches, though the new staffers are not allowed to do any off-campus recruiting.​
Last week, the Huskies officially posted the opening. Based on the qualifications, it looks like they have one person in mind: Tonya Cardoza.​
An assistant on Geno Auriemma’s staff from 1994-2008, Cardoza helped UConn win five national championships. She left to take the head job at Temple in 2008 and held that position through the 2022 season, where she amassed a 251-188 record to become the winningest coach in program history.​
The job listing describes Cardoza’s coaching career almost exactly. Emphasis is added.​
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS​
  • Bachelor’s degree.
  • Ten or more years of head coaching experience in a women’s collegiate Division I basketball program.
  • Coaching experience in multiple NCAA Division I national championship games.
  • Working knowledge of the correct application of NCAA regulations.
  • Strong commitment to the academic goals of the University.
  • Excellent organizational, teaching, communication, and public relations skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
  • Collegiate basketball national champion coach.
  • Possesses coaching and student-athlete development philosophies consistent with that of the Division of Athletics and its women’s basketball program.
While there are plenty of coaches who could qualify (Kim Mulkey, Dawn Staley, every current UConn coach aside from Morgan Valley), Cardoza is the only one who’s currently a realistic free agent — unless Muffet McGraw plans to come out of retirement.​
This isn’t the only time the Huskies have tailor-made a job posting for a new assistant coach. After Shea Ralph left to take over at Vanderbilt in 2021, UConn had specific requirements for its next coach — which Auriemma himself didn’t even meet.​
  • Five years of coaching experience working within a women’s collegiate Division I basketball program
  • Coaching experience at two or more universities that are members of Power 5 conferences
  • Division I head coaching experience
  • Coaching experience on team(s) that have advanced to at least the regional round of the NCAA D I WBB Championship
  • Demonstrated experience coaching players who have achieved conference and/or national honors
  • Former playing experience at the Division I collegiate level
The Huskies ended up hiring Valley, who worked as an assistant at Virginia Tech, Washington, and Arizona (all Power Five members) before taking over at Hartford (Division I head coaching experience). During her time at Washington, the other Huskies reached the Final Four in 2016 (well past the regional round) and she coached Kelsey Plum, who swept the national player of the year awards in 2017 (national honors). Valley also played at UConn from 2000-04, giving her the necessary playing experience at the Division I level.​
The job posting for the new assistant closed on Wednesday, July 5, so the hire should be announced soon.​
Assuming it is Cardoza, UConn will have one of the most experienced coaching staffs in the nation. Associate head coach Chris Dailey has been by Auriemma’s side since he was hired to lead the Huskies in 1985 and is 17-0 as acting head coach. Assistant coaches Jamelle Elliott (Cincinnati) and Valley (Hartford) have both been head coaches and both played at UConn.​

Reaction Score
UCONN will not be limited by who applies for the opening. They will have a bunch of high quality people to choose from but I might take a different road if I were Geno. I would look for someone that is young and exciting and could be the next face of UCONN Women's Basketball. Someone who would recruit tirelessly that could build the relationships that seasoned coaches won't take the time to forge.

Geno has a lot to share and he is at that point where he really needs that person he can grow and cultivate to be the next big name in WBB coaching. Something like this would keep Geno interested for a few more years and would be great for the game.

Reaction Score

The Huskies posted a job opening for a new assistant coach and there's one person who checks all the boxes.

UConn women’s basketball will have an additional assistant coach for the 2023-24 season thanks to a rule change by the NCAA. Teams can hire two additional coaches, though the new staffers are not allowed to do any off-campus recruiting.​
Last week, the Huskies officially posted the opening. Based on the qualifications, it looks like they have one person in mind: Tonya Cardoza.​
An assistant on Geno Auriemma’s staff from 1994-2008, Cardoza helped UConn win five national championships. She left to take the head job at Temple in 2008 and held that position through the 2022 season, where she amassed a 251-188 record to become the winningest coach in program history.​
The job listing describes Cardoza’s coaching career almost exactly. Emphasis is added.​
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS​
  • Bachelor’s degree.
  • Ten or more years of head coaching experience in a women’s collegiate Division I basketball program.
  • Excellent organizational, teaching, communication, and public relations skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
  • Possesses coaching and student-athlete development philosophies consistent with that of the Division of Athletics and its women’s basketball program.
While there are plenty of coaches who could qualify (Kim Mulkey, Dawn Staley, every current UConn coach aside from Morgan Valley), Cardoza is the only one who’s currently a realistic free agent — unless Muffet McGraw plans to come out of retirement.​
This isn’t the only time the Huskies have tailor-made a job posting for a new assistant coach. After Shea Ralph left to take over at Vanderbilt in 2021, UConn had specific requirements for its next coach — which Auriemma himself didn’t even meet.​
  • Five years of coaching experience working within a women’s collegiate Division I basketball program
  • Coaching experience at two or more universities that are members of Power 5 conferences
  • Coaching experience on team(s) that have advanced to at least the regional round of the NCAA D I WBB Championship
  • Demonstrated experience coaching players who have achieved conference and/or national honors
The Huskies ended up hiring Valley, who worked as an assistant at Virginia Tech, Washington, and Arizona (all Power Five members) before taking over at Hartford (Division I head coaching experience). During her time at Washington, the other Huskies reached the Final Four in 2016 (well past the regional round) and she coached Kelsey Plum, who swept the national player of the year awards in 2017 (national honors). Valley also played at UConn from 2000-04, giving her the necessary playing experience at the Division I level.​
The job posting for the new assistant closed on Wednesday, July 5, so the hire should be announced soon.​
Assuming it is Cardoza, UConn will have one of the most experienced coaching staffs in the nation. Associate head coach Chris Dailey has been by Auriemma’s side since he was hired to lead the Huskies in 1985 and is 17-0 as acting head coach. Assistant coaches Jamelle Elliott (Cincinnati) and Valley (Hartford) have both been head coaches and both played at UConn.​
I don't really think they need more experience, they need someone with a young enthusiasm and the burning desire to be the next great coach.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The application period closed last night at 11:55 pm EST. I expect an official announcement soon. :cool: This comment got a lot more "views" (4K+) than I thought it would.

Carnac

Reaction Score

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS​
  • Bachelor’s degree.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
As other very knowledgeable and "astute" veteran Boneyard members have already weighed in on, I too subscribe that this job announcement and its very stringent lists of preferred résumé qualifications scream Tonya Cordoza. The announcement on their selection could come as early as today.

Carnac

Reaction Score
UCONN will not be limited by who applies for the opening. They will have a bunch of high quality people to choose from but I might take a different road if I were Geno. I would look for someone that is young and exciting and could be the next face of UCONN Women's Basketball. Someone who would recruit tirelessly that could build the relationships that seasoned coaches won't take the time to forge.

Geno has a lot to share and he is at that point where he really needs that person he can grow and cultivate to be the next big name in WBB coaching. Something like this would keep Geno interested for a few more years and would be great for the game.
No argument with your take. I would just add that...................at this point in Geno's tenure at UConn, he may not be interested in "grooming" a young up and coming would-be assistant coach. I'll bet a cheeseburger, fries and a Dr. Pepper, that Geno has discussed the hiring of another coach with his staff, since they all will have to work closely with whoever is brought in. :cool:

sun

Reaction Score
I found that there was some controversy that resulted after Cardoza suspended 2 players in 2013 for breaking team rules.
One of the players ended up getting dismissed from the team 2 months later and complained that she didn't know what she did wrong. And she also expressed personal complaints about Cardoza which one would expect from a player with sour grapes.
But still quite unusual to read about regarding most popular coaches.

But it also appears that Cardoza has had quite a few other players transfer out of Temple.
Between the time that she got the Temple job in 2008 & 2014, a total of 14 players had transferred out of Temple & that was before the transfer portal.
Apparently many players had serious enough issues with her to want to transfer & sit out a year.
I have no idea how many transferred after 2014 during Cardoza's tenure.
But I hope that she doesn't cause any UConn players to become disgruntled by rubbing them the wrong way.
There's bound to be rumors about Cardoza being whispered behind the scenes among our players & maybe from having contact with players on other teams too.
Perhaps Cardoza has a reputation among some players that may not be all good among them.
I sure would like to hear more about some of their complaints.

Sources:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member