UConn women's basketball to hire assistant coach...update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Maggie Vanoni, Paul Doyle, Staff writers
Updated: July 3, 2023 5:48 p.m.

UConn women's basketball to hire assistant coach. Qualifications include 10 years as head coach​

Update...........The UConn women's basketball program is advertising for an additional assistant coach to join its staff this summer thanks to a new NCAA ruling. But the qualifications spelled out in the job posting will seemingly severely limit the candidate pool. UConn posted the position on the school's job board site on June 29 and the turnaround is quick, as applications will only be accepted until 11:55 p.m. Wednesday.
One coach who meets all of the those narrow qualifications: former UConn assistant Tonya Cardoza, :eek: who was head coach at Temple from 2008 to 2022. Cardoza was a member of the UConn staff from 1994 to 2008 and part of five NCAA title teams. Cardoza did not coach last year and has been recently rumored to be candidate to return to UConn.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
What is the "update", that the applications must be accepted by Wednesday night? Anything else?

Reaction Score

UConn women's basketball to hire assistant coach. Qualifications include 10 years as head coach​

Update...........The UConn women's basketball program is advertising for an additional assistant coach to join its staff this summer thanks to a new NCAA ruling. But the qualifications spelled out in the job posting will seemingly severely limit the candidate pool. UConn posted the position on the school's job board site on June 29 and the turnaround is quick, as applications will only be accepted until 11:55 p.m. Wednesday.
One coach who meets all of the those narrow qualifications: former UConn assistant Tonya Cardoza, :eek: who was head coach at Temple from 2008 to 2022. Cardoza was a member of the UConn staff from 1994 to 2008 and part of five NCAA title teams. Cardoza did not coach last year and has been recently rumored to be candidate to return to UConn.

As previously stated on another thread, I am all in favor of Geno re-hiring Tonya. She was great at teaching, and a very good recruiter; something I’m sure Geno would most certainly welcome. Most coaches who are out of work and/or looking for new opportunities were aware of this posting probably before it occurred. I would not be surprised if Knowing what the ruling was, that coaches all over the country didn’t start calling AD’s, Coaches, and letting them know that they were interested whenever they posted.

As a State School, UCONN is required to post job openings. Many on the Boneyard are in favor of Tonya being re-hired. So am I, but we have to at least entertain that there maybe ‘other’ coaches out there that might also be chosen. So, if they already know who they want, they will still have to go through the interview process. Then, we’ll all hear who was chosen.

Now, as a footnote: I wonder who Dan Hurley will hire….

Reaction Score
So it's not to replace anyone, but as we guessed was an addition thanks to the new NCAA rules.
Correct. I posted the NCAA ruling in our UCONN Women’s Basketball group on FB a while back. So, they get to hire another coach, as does Dan Hurley.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

The "update" really doesn't add anything new. All that information was in the earlier thread in more detail.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The "update" really doesn't add anything new. All that information was in the earlier thread in more detail.
I think it is meant as an "update" as in it was a more recently published reporting that he posted, dated July 3rd from the CTInsider.

That would qualify as an update, however, as you say it does not contain much "new", at least in my opinion.

Carnac

Reaction Score
So it's not to replace anyone, but as we guessed was an addition thanks to the new NCAA rules.
Yes sir!! The Boneyard contrarians and skeptics sniffed this one out almost immediately. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
As previously stated on another thread, I am all in favor of Geno re-hiring Tonya. She was great at teaching, and a very good recruiter; something I’m sure Geno would most certainly welcome. Most coaches who are out of work and/or looking for new opportunities were aware of this posting probably before it occurred. I would not be surprised if Knowing what the ruling was, that coaches all over the country didn’t start calling AD’s, Coaches, and letting them know that they were interested whenever they posted.

As a State School, UCONN is required to post job openings. Many on the Boneyard are in favor of Tonya being re-hired. So am I, but we have to at least entertain that there maybe ‘other’ coaches out there that might also be chosen. So, if they already know who they want, they will still have to go through the interview process. Then, we’ll all hear who was chosen.

It’s a “win-win”. Cardoza needs a job, and Geno is able to hire another coach. In this case, someone he knows and trusts.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think it is meant as an "update" as in it was a more recently published reporting that he posted, dated July 3rd from the CTInsider.

That would qualify as an update, however, as you say it does not contain much "new", at least in my opinion.
It was an update only because of the date it was written. The previous thread was locked. The only new information that can come from this is when they announce the name of the new hire. Not much suspense about who it will be. :confused:

Reaction Score

I think UConn needs an assistant who is young, smart and has demonstrated the ability to recruit. Sure Geno and CD are two of the greatest recruiters around but both are not young anymore, it might be advantageous to have a young firebrand closer in age to the recruits themselves to help seal the deal.

Reaction Score
Curious who this will be but also curious about the posting. While unlikely anyone would push back on Geno, most states have a hiring process that prohibits making a posting so narrow as to eliminate all but the hiring manager's desired candidate. "Fair and competitive" are the key terms. Have to believe Geno ran this by HR but this posting wouldn't pass muster in many state universities.
While Geno has always tended to hire from those he knows and trusts, not attending UConn did not keep Marisa Moseley from bringing a lot of value to the Huskies in her time as an assistant.

Reaction Score
Curious who this will be but also curious about the posting. While unlikely anyone would push back on Geno, most states have a hiring process that prohibits making a posting so narrow as to eliminate all but the hiring manager's desired candidate. "Fair and competitive" are the key terms. Have to believe Geno ran this by HR but this posting wouldn't pass muster in many state universities.
While Geno has always tended to hire from those he knows and trusts, not attending UConn did not keep Marisa Moseley from bringing a lot of value to the Huskies in her time as an assistant.

The posting for Morgan valley was just as narrow. It was written for Morgan specifically. And this one seems to be written for Tonya cardoza

Reaction Score
It’s a “win-win”. Cardoza needs a job, and Geno is able to hire another coach. In this case, someone he knows and trusts.
And isn't her family in Massachusetts? Maybe Geno offered to "bring her home" at least for the next few years while he's still coaching.

Reaction Score
I think UConn needs an assistant who is young, smart and has demonstrated the ability to recruit. Sure Geno and CD are two of the greatest recruiters around but both are not young anymore, it might be advantageous to have a young firebrand closer in age to the recruits themselves to help seal the deal.
This is a good point… for the future. Tonya fits right in now.

Reaction Score

This posting process is not new and happens for the other sports and in other business

Reaction Score

The NCAA made it clear that the new assistant will not be allowed to participate in off-campus recruiting.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Well, well, well said the blind man. Now I see. Cardoza was born April 2, 1968. However she never played for Geno. She played at Virginia 1988-1991 for Debbie Ryan.

Carnac

Reaction Score
April 2, 1968. If this doesn’t convince those that are still skeptical that it’s not Cardoza, I’m not sure what will, short of the official announcement.

Reaction Score
The NCAA made it clear that the new assistant will not be allowed to participate in off-campus recruiting.
When prospective recruits visit the campus, they meet everyone. For example one assistant coach might be responsible for the tour of the campus. Lots can happen on those visits, whether official or not, friends are made, etc.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Actually my hope is the longest of shots. Not born in New England but North Carolina, a mother of young children who would like to stop traveling for a while. Just dreaming.

Reaction Score
Actually my hope is the longest of shots. Not born in New England but North Carolina, a mother of young children who would like to stop traveling for a while. Just dreaming.
The new rule allows them to hire TWO new coaches, so maybe you'll have your dream come true!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom