UConn vs UCF Fun Fact | The Boneyard

UConn vs UCF Fun Fact

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Average personal fouls per game ranking... Both UConn (30th @ 13.8 per game) and UCF (37th @ 14.2 per game - surprising, right?) are in the top 40 for fewest average personal fouls per game in D1. Combined, they average 28 per game.

In that last game, UConn had 21 and UCF 24... 45 personal fouls. Wow!

For perspective, the worst D1 team in 348th place, Chicago State, averages 21.6 per game. The best at #1 is Murray State with 11.4 per game.

Credit where credit is due, UCF being the #1 defensive squad in the country (in points against, I think?) while being #30 in PFs is very impressive.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Say what you want about the UCF Coach, I think she was right about the refs. They were overwhelmed.

Meghan Culmo said on air they were horrible, and that is not typical of her to be that outspoken.

Reaction Score
This was obviously a DOG FIGHT!! and the top dog was Jonathan ! ( our beautiful mascot )
taking " bite" out of the knight! I'm glad that we are no longer in the AAC, unfortunately not
all teams are like USF! ( Head Coach Jose Fernandez is one of the good guys!)

Reaction Score
yea I'll never watch another UCF game ever again, that was awful. I will never understand why teams take the whole shot clock then put up a garbage or no shot and think that is going to be succcesful.

Reaction Score
But remember those stats of UCF is against a weak conference, the game with UCONN wasn't clean basketball, it was a slug fest!
Personally I think the refs should have T'ed up some of the early nonsense, just really lucky no one was hurt! There won't be another game come close to that nonsense the rest of the tournament!

Reaction Score
I don't think it's worth a new thread, and i do NOT want to kick off another round of acrimony, but i'm curious. I saw this photo in the NY Times today and i'm wondering if this isn't a foul by the UCF player. It looks like she's kneeing Azzi in the groin while the other player is close to tripping her. Is it just the camera angle? Is it a foul? I don't know, so i thought i'd ask the BY. They are playing tight... Maybe she's just splitting the two defenders?
Azzi UCF game.jpg

Reaction Score
Of course it's a foul. Some have concluded that they don't call body fouls in women's basketball like they do in men's. The contact under the basket especially is much more prevalent than it ever was in women's basketball. Whether on a shot or not it is still a foul.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Ironically, the IOWA was just the opposite officiating wise,

Reaction Score
What I do know is Azzi Fudd is fast and quick. She is very difficult/impossible to contain. She is just breaking the press, leaving the UCF girls in the dust.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
yea I'll never watch another UCF game ever again, that was awful. I will never understand why teams take the whole shot clock then put up a garbage or no shot and think that is going to be succcesful.
A lot of coaches talk about defense leading to offense.. for some it's the other way around. You keep the score low by limiting possessions and hope you can steal it at the end. Not the way you play if you're talented.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I don't think it's worth a new thread, and i do NOT want to kick off another round of acrimony, but i'm curious. I saw this photo in the NY Times today and i'm wondering if this isn't a foul by the UCF player. It looks like she's kneeing Azzi in the groin while the other player is close to tripping her. Is it just the camera angle? Is it a foul? I don't know, so i thought i'd ask the BY. They are playing tight... Maybe she's just splitting the two defenders? View attachment 74816

PSCONN to base, hijacking in progress, I repeat, Hijacking In Progress - Code 7500.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't think it's worth a new thread, and i do NOT want to kick off another round of acrimony, but i'm curious. I saw this photo in the NY Times today and i'm wondering if this isn't a foul by the UCF player. It looks like she's kneeing Azzi in the groin while the other player is close to tripping her. Is it just the camera angle? Is it a foul? I don't know, so i thought i'd ask the BY. They are playing tight... Maybe she's just splitting the two defenders? View attachment 74816
Kneeing her in the groin? It's not showing that at all.

We can't tell from this photo whether a foul is being committed at all. Maybe the video would be more illuminating. My guess is Azzi was stepping through a trap, but it's not even clear from this photo how much contact is being made and who is doing the initiating.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, keep in mind that the best offense is a good defense, and vice versa!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
PSCONN to base, hijacking in progress, I repeat, Hijacking In Progress - Code 7500.
Hijacking??? I hope you are either joking or being sarcastic. Your OP was about the stats concerning fouls.
The poster you are replying to is asking for opinions on just that...a possible foul.

Reaction Score
Hijacking??? I hope you are either joking or being sarcastic. Your OP was about the stats concerning fouls.
The poster you are replying to is asking for opinions on just that...a possible foul.
I'd say joking with a side of sarcasm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom