UConn vs the Dead | The Boneyard

UConn vs the Dead

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
5/28/77 is a great show, a good Estimated Prophet. Anyone who recommends me 5/8/77 I laugh at - way overplayed. Another gem from that month is Tuscaloosa 5/17/77, Scarlett —> Fire is one of the best, most unique versions.

People also talk about 10/14/83 at HCC as being one of the better shows. But CT all time, my favorites are the shows at Dillon 7/16/72 and the two shows in Waterbury at the Palace in September 72.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Agreed - March 18 & 19 shows at HCC
Went to one of these, having gotten an unexpected invitation/free ticket from my only Deadhead relative while I was in town to visit my father. I only recall being completely straight, somewhat bored, falling asleep, and wondering if I'd ever like the Dead again. Final time seeing GD live, though Lesh, Further, and others within a decade and beyond.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
5/28/77 is a great show, a good Estimated Prophet. Anyone who recommends me 5/8/77 I laugh at - way overplayed. Another gem from that month is Tuscaloosa 5/17/77, Scarlett —> Fire is one of the best, most unique versions.

People also talk about 10/14/83 at HCC as being one of the better shows. But CT all time, my favorites are the shows at Dillon 7/16/72 and the two shows in Waterbury at the Palace in September 72.
Check out 5/21/77, Lakeland, FL. I’m someone who loves 5/8 (my favorite St Stephen), but I think this show is better

I mostly stick to the 70s shows but Spring 90 is fantastic. The Jimmy from Dozin at the Knick in March 90 is out of this world

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Check out 5/21/77, Lakeland, FL. I’m someone who loves 5/8 (my favorite St Stephen), but I think this show is better

I mostly stick to the 70s shows but Spring 90 is fantastic. The Jimmy from Dozin at the Knick in March 90 is out of this world
I love that version of St Stephen too until Donna comes in early and pisses me off.

Reaction Score

I always though Scarlet Fire was the highlight of the 5-8-77 show. I will have to give the St. Stephen a listen.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I worked in Hartford in March of 1990. Bushnell Park was loaded with veggie sandwiches and juice. It was a pretty cool scene to see.
I remember the Dead avoiding Hartford for a stretch because the cops liked to hassle the Deadheads. Was that the year they came back? Anyone remember the whole story?

Reaction Score
I remember the Dead avoiding Hartford for a stretch because the cops liked to hassle the Deadheads. Was that the year they came back? Anyone remember the whole story?
Hartford rousted the Dead Heads camping in Bushnell Park after 3 shows in 1988, City grateful 'Dead Heads' are gone - UPI Archives.

Many cities took steps to discourage the many fans who showed up without tickets to just enjoy the scene or in some cities, rush the gates. The Dead eventually published a letter saying these incidents were risking their ability to tour.

Reaction Score
10/14/83 is among my favorites. Fun fact: that was also Trey from Phish's first show, so I love knowing that his baptism to the Grateful Dead was in our home state. He did a cool interview with Bob a long time ago where he talked about that show and the influence it had on him.

God I wish I got to see them in full form just one time (I wasn't even close, being born in '94)... but I guess I'll just have to accept the post-Jerry iterations and offshoots.

Reaction Score
The 7/31/74 (Dillon Stadium) Eyes is ridiculous...Obviously love the New Haven Shakedown ('79), and others have mentioned shows that I agree about.

Fwiw I go through phases as to which era of the Dead I find most fascinating.. however, I always keep going back to Reckoning more than any show / era.

Reaction Score
Hartford rousted the Dead Heads camping in Bushnell Park after 3 shows in 1988, City grateful 'Dead Heads' are gone - UPI Archives.

Many cities took steps to discourage the many fans who showed up without tickets to just enjoy the scene or in some cities, rush the gates. The Dead eventually published a letter saying these incidents were risking their ability to tour.
Wild tent scene in Bushnell Park during those shows. I worked at Travelers at that time and Dead Heads were hanging out at the buildings on Windsor Street like Connecticut National and the Travelers data center. I'm sure it made the corporate folks nervous.

Reaction Score
The 7/31/74 (Dillon Stadium) Eyes is ridiculous...Obviously love the New Haven Shakedown ('79), and others have mentioned shows that I agree about.

Fwiw I go through phases as to which era of the Dead I find most fascinating.. however, I always keep going back to Reckoning more than any show / era.
The New Haven Shakedown was my first show. Blew me away.

Reaction Score
That 5/28/77 HCC show HAD to be a great one being the last show of that phenomenal east coast spring tour.
One of their best "Sugaree" versions too. Amazing back and forth.

Reaction Score
Wild tent scene in Bushnell Park during those shows. I worked at Travelers at that time and Dead Heads were hanging out at the buildings on Windsor Street like Connecticut National and the Travelers data center. I'm sure it made the corporate folks nervous.
I worked in Hartford during those shows in a suit & tie. I'd go to Bushnell at lunch and compare notes on the previous night's show. Fun times.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The New Haven Shakedown was my first show. Blew me away.
I'd be interested in learning first Dead show from this particular population.

Mine was October 1972, Rochester, NY, kicking off with "Bertha," just like the live album that played out through dormitory and frat house windows during the first few weeks of school. NRPS opening.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom