UConn vs. Syracuse post game - on to the sweet 16! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Syracuse post game - on to the sweet 16!

Reaction Score
Not a criticism, but I was waiting for Geno to insert Q into the game for a few minutes. She might be inexperienced & prone to turnovers, but she is always good a for 3 pointer & Syracuse would have to cover her.
And we know that she is very confident!!;)

Reaction Score
The refs need some “flop detection” training.
Yes, x 100!! That incidental contact has gotta go down in lore as the 'ponytail flop' - Paige barely brushed against her ponytail, and the Syracuse player chewed scenery & flopped as if she'd been hit direct on by a semi. I've seen better acting in professional wresting . . . ;)

Reaction Score
The bigger the game, the more Paige wants to produce. When UConn is up 30 points she takes no pride in running up her points. She wants to get other people involved.
But the big games coming up, are where she gets excited and starts her "superwomen" impersonation.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what the heated discussion was with all the Asst/ coaches yelling and pulling at Geno, near the end?

Reaction Score
Some thoughts:
  • ICE, out of respect, I will just say, we need something from her on O
  • That Aussie on the top of their zone really was a pain (for us)
  • I'm not sure about all of the SYR hate in the chat, I thought they played hard
Put it this way.... Q and Ines had a better game than Ice. That's not going to work with 8 healthy bodies.

Nika played really solid D on Fair until she had three brain farts in the span of 1 minute and fouled out. Agreed it would have been a tragedy to see her go out that way.

Ash Fudd did it again. I think KK's expression after her dagger was 50% joy and 50% relief that she got the shooters roll on that three. Good for her for having the confidence to take it. Alicia was off tonight, maybe lingering effects of the nose, maybe the zone, maybe the cage match defensive tactics.

Paige is other worldly and proving it, but even Superman had his kryptonite. If she doesn't go 30/10/5/3/3 we don't win. Duke is no cakewalk, but at least it's not Ohio State.

The refs were again awful. Was the lead official the same clown from the Jackson State game?

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*what a game. SY was really really good. and Fair is an amazing player!
*We have Paige, and they didn't. She put the team on her back on both offense and defense. The Best Player in WBB.
*Ash: unreal performance considering that she is a freshman. Without her showing up big time, we don't win this game.
*KK: was ok till this 3-point shot in the end which was HUGE! She won the game for UConn with this shot.
*AE: was not as efficient on offense as usually she is but what a warrior on the boards...
*Nika: that 5th foul was just bad especially considering that she is a Senior. Guarded Fair amazingly in the first half but you can't stop a great player like Fair for the whole game.
*Ice: a disappointing game. too many times with butter fingers.

*on to the Sweet 16 to meet Duke. Duke is a really good defensive team but somewhat challenged on offense. IMO if UConn will score about 75 points they'll beat Duke.
I agree with you 100%. Nika did great a great job of defending Fair for most of the game, but fell for the theatrics in Q4. And then the silly push-off foul that sent her to the bench. And she’d be devastated for a long time, had UConn lost the game.
I am always rooting for Ice, but today her fingers were so buttery, Geno had to get her out of the game at one point. Maybe it was nervousness, but she’s needed to help the team succeed.
Overall, I’m pleased that the team was able to win this game. Proud moment.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
UConn did more than enough to cough that lead up on their own, but my god, that was a breathtaking display of bad officiating.

From the lengthy review on Paige’s incidental contact, to the review when Edwards clearly tipped it out, followed by the ridiculous shooting foul called on Paige when Fair flailed into her - the refs were making wild guesses down the stretch this one.

They continue to do a disservice to women’s basketball with their incompetence.
Weren't these the same three terrible refs that officiated the game against Jackson State?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
A little???

It bugs me when big scorers like Fair (yes, she's a great player) are given more leeway to push off defenders than lesser offensive talents. A few seconds before Muhl fouled Fair on the three-point attempt, Fair committed a blatant offensive foul, as least as bad as Muhl's 5th.
Wait... so you're saying call fouls on star players even though folks say, "we want to see star players play"?
I kid, I kid!!!!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Yeah Ice had a rough night... it was high intensity in the paint and she was pretty sped up when the ball came to her. Only a week since she bailed us out in the BET so don't quit on her. <EDIT:> Like Gollum, I believe she still has a part to play.

Reaction Score
Paige Ash Aaliyah and KK were totally clutch in a rock fight of a game. I like Coach Jack and she has changed the culture of Syracuse. But there was a good deal of cheesy play and that is taught behavior. But Paige & Co rose above it.
What cheesy?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Not a criticism, but I was waiting for Geno to insert Q into the game for a few minutes. She might be inexperienced & prone to turnovers, but she is always good a for 3 pointer & Syracuse would have to cover her.
And we know that she is very confident!!;)
Me too but I think rebounding was his priority, they were tough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom