UConn vs SMU game thread | Page 24 | The Boneyard

UConn vs SMU game thread

Reaction Score
And not that the cupboard is now bare, but some players graduated. Imagine if Obi was the anchor for the backs in this 3-3-5. There go half the big plays we have had against us that happen 4-6 times a game
Opposing offenses also have a lot more possessions per game due to the HUNH and actually scoring points. The advanced statistics aren't out yet for this season but I bet we are close to the same if not a little worse.

Reaction Score
The DC is accountable for the Defense. That's how it works. We have the worst defense in CFB week over week. There is no reason we should be the statistical outlier. Bottom 1/3? Sure, I'll buy. Dead last? No.

Do you not realize a lot of these kids were recruited by diaco? And are FRs? Inexperience is a BIG deal. Some of these kids were all size, no speed and fit diaco’s boring bend don’t break d. You need to give the d some time to gain experience and allow Crocker to recruit the player he needs. Beavers, Taj, and a few others are going to be some players on that d.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Are we really that much worse than last year, though? We were 108 in DFEI last year.

I'm not an Xs and Os guy, but something tells me that the bend-don't-break scheme masked a lot of our deficiencies (not to mention losing seniors like Obi, Jhavon, and J-Green in the secondary is a bigger deal than many are realizing)

Reaction Score
I'm not an Xs and Os guy, but something tells me that the bend-don't-break scheme masked a lot of our deficiencies (not to mention losing seniors like Obi, Jhavon, and J-Green in the secondary is a bigger deal than many are realizing)
Our plodding offense had a lot to do with it, too. It's not easy on a defense to go 3 and out in a minute or to score in under a minute and get back out there.

Reaction Score
Obi's biggest strength was his ability to wrap guys up and not allow yards after contact. Nobody on this roster is even close to as good of a tackler. His ability to make a stop is sorely missed this year.

Reaction Score
Not sure you understand how college football works. There is no way you or I know if the DC is at fault. One thing I'm sure of, is the DC does not have the talent to be successful in the 3-3-5 defense.
Ummm...I think I do. Of course, I have no idea what you are talking about. But in college sports there is marginal difference in the talent levels. It is ALL about coaching and making the most of your personnel.

Reaction Score
The D and Crocker needED to take accountability. However, both the D and Crocker are improving, so I think they are taking accountability. Some players are inexperienced, slow, nor fit his system. Crocker is doing his best and I believe he’s figuring out his players. The defense will take a little longer to get to where it needs to be.
Today’s game was a slight improvement. So I’ll try to stay optimistic. For everyone blaming the players how do you explain the offense? Isn’t it all coaching that has turned it around. Why give Lashlee all the credit but don’t hold Crocker accountable and give him a pass? I don’t get it. He should be able to do what Lashlee has been able to do which is improve from last year. I’m not expecting to look like Alabama but seriously, the defense is horrible.

Reaction Score
Ummm...I think I do. Of course, I have no idea what you are talking about. But in college sports there is marginal difference in the talent levels. It is ALL about coaching and making the most of your personnel.

oh, ok. I know not to listen to anything you say ever again

Reaction Score
oh, ok. I know not to listen to anything you say ever again
Talking about competing the AAC, dude. Not talking about competing in the SEC or a national championship.

Reaction Score
Talking about competing the AAC, dude. Not talking about competing in the SEC or a national championship.
you realize our recruiting classes the last couple years mostly consisted of kids that only had FCS offers, right?

Reaction Score
Today’s game was a slight improvement. So I’ll try to stay optimistic. For everyone blaming the players how do you explain the offense? Isn’t it all coaching that has turned it around. Why give Lashlee all the credit but don’t hold Crocker accountable and give him a pass? I don’t get it. He should be able to do what Lashlee has been able to do which is improve from last year. I’m not expecting to look like Alabama but seriously, the defense is horrible.

Well the offense last year had probably the most incompetent coaching in the country. A bad head coach with no experience on offense, who hired a very unimpressive offensive coaching staff. Diaco has coached some good defenses before, and while I know nobody really likes his conservative d, he's at the very least not totally incompetent on that side of the ball. I think our offense was much more held back by bad coaching than the defense so it makes sense it would see immediate improvement while the defense wouldn't

Plus just the nature of college football these days, you really have to suck to not be able to move the ball and put up points against the majority of teams. Building a strong defense is much more rare.

Reaction Score
you realize our recruiting classes the last couple years mostly consisted of kids that only had FCS offers, right?
And we should be expecting a kid to turn down Alabama to come to UConn?

You are making my point. There is marginal difference in talent in these G5 / FCS schools. Coaching makes the difference. I don’t have ridiculous expectations. Just want to see improvement and then compete in the AAC. Look at how much the offense has improved. You don’t give credit to the OC?

Reaction Score

This one is easy. Lashlee has playmakers and Crocker doesn't. Yeesh....

Reaction Score
Are we really that much worse than last year, though? We were 108 in DFEI last year.
Hard to know. I think we have been sliding backwards year over year. I guess it would be interesting to do a comparative on pass, rush, points allowed, points against.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This one is easy. Lashlee has playmakers and Crocker doesn't. Yeesh....
And where did these “playmakers”come from? They are either new guys or Diaco’s recruits. How is that different? So maybe, the OC is putting them in a scheme that maximizes their strengths? IDK. I guess I’m alone in this viewpoint.

Reaction Score
And we should be expecting a kid to turn down Alabama to come to UConn?

You are making my point. There is marginal difference in talent in these G5 / FCS schools. Coaching makes the difference. I don’t have ridiculous expectations. Just want to see improvement and then compete in the AAC. Look at how much the offense has improved. You don’t give credit to the OC?
none of this even makes sense. I in no way made your point. Players win games. period. If that weren't the case then coaches wouldn't spend so much time recruiting

Reaction Score
Just got done watching on delay. Kick in the jewels to fall apart late. Gotta say though, I like the feeling when we're in a long yardage situation that we have a chance. D had 4 straight stops just before and after the half. That was nice.

Gotta have faith

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Yeah....all 12 of them.
I was there. If I had to guess, about 16,000 there today. 20,000 max.

I don't know how they count ... tickets purchased? Butts in the seats?

Reaction Score
Do you not realize a lot of these kids were recruited by diaco? And are FRs? Inexperience is a BIG deal. Some of these kids were all size, no speed and fit diaco’s boring bend don’t break d. You need to give the d some time to gain experience and allow Crocker to recruit the player he needs. Beavers, Taj, and a few others are going to be some players on that d.

Let's just be a little consistent here. Last year we had one of the worst offenses in CFB and you can go back and find thousands of comments about there being no talent, not enough speed, no playmakers, no line, the worst QB, etc... I don't think you can have it both ways. Let's put aside scheme and just deal with straight facts. The O is transformed and D is not competitive with the same upfront core. Yes, the DBs are young and inexperienced. I'll grant that. They will and do get burned. Fine. Getting routinely beat this badly virtually every series, including by Holy Cross just doesn't seem to add up. There is something more fundamental afoot. I agree Beavers and Taj are going to be very good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom