UConn vs ND | The Boneyard

UConn vs ND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If UConn and Notre Dame do meet in the tournament, UConn needs to pound the ball inside. To Stef, to Stewie, to KML, to Morgan and to Kiah. Pound, pound, pound the ball inside. The perimeter players need to spot up for threes when they collapse. Our biggest advantage will be that they don't have anyone to guard Stewie. We saw that in the semi final game last year. Braker will get in foul trouble like she did last year. Stewie is much better and so is Moriah. They will give us the greatest advantage. UT wilted in the second half.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What Notre Dame showed was a much improved Cable and Mabrey more dangerous than ever.
McBride was McBride, Achonwa was Achonwa and Loyd had an uneventful game until her accident.
They play disciplined BB and actually played better with their second line

But Tennessee was Tennessee: lost their poise, their plan and the game in a most embarrassing fashion.
Perhaps even more disheartening than the total domination (by ND) that I was contemplating.

I don't think that ND will be able to handle the new approach of the UConn offense under MoJeff's supervision. It's a handful for any team and is becoming more invincible by the game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm really looking forward to ND vs. Duke, Maryland, and UNC. I don't think ND escapes the regular season unscathed. I do agree Muffett has a better coaching mind than McCallie, Hatchell, or Freese, but the ACC is brutal this year and should be a fun conference to watch.

As for UCONN vs. ND, some have said they saw weaknesses in ND. Well, watch UCONN vs. Baylor and everyone will say the same thing about UCONN. I still believe that ND is overall the 2nd or 3rd best team in the nation (hard to give Duke the #2 nod after losing their star PG). I hope they are in the opposite bracket from UCONN so the only way they can meet would be in the finals. And would LOVE to see Tennessee end up a 4 seed in UCONN's bracket so we could pound them in the sweet 16...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
What Notre Dame showed was a much improved Cable and Mabrey more dangerous than ever.
McBride was McBride, Achonwa was Achonwa and Loyd had an uneventful game until her accident.
They play disciplined BB and actually played better with their second line

But Tennessee was Tennessee: lost their poise, their plan and the game in a most embarrassing fashion.
Perhaps even more disheartening than the total domination (by ND) that I was contemplating.

I don't think that ND will be able to handle the new approach of the UConn offense under MoJeff's supervision. It's a handful for any team and is becoming more invincible by the game.
whoa... well said

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What ND has is a plenty of scorers that many other teams don't have. Braker is their weakest scorer of their starting five and I actually wonder why Reimer isn't starting in her place. The only rational is that she's a Senior and Reimer is Freshmen. Mabrey and Reimer who come off the bench are both averaging 9+ points a game. ND is a well balanced team.

In the 1st half Lady Vols had 24 points in the paint and 2nd half only 8. It seemed that as ND built its lead, Lady Vol players went from playing team offense to Hero Offense where one player was trying to get points.

Last night ND got 36 points from their bench. http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/ndut-w.html

Margo Videos:

Reaction Score
ND is a very well coached team and their returning players have got better, but UCONN as stated above must pound the post to free up the 3's.......Like I said before, most of these top 10 teams play such a weak schedule until now that they fall apart when pressure and poise are needed. Tenn has some very good players, but they have no one to steer the ship at crunch time.......Unlike ND players, Tenn players do not get any better year to year...........

Reaction Score
If UConn and Notre Dame do meet in the tournament, UConn needs to pound the ball inside. To Stef, to Stewie, to KML, to Morgan and to Kiah. Pound, pound, pound the ball inside. The perimeter players need to spot up for threes when they collapse. Our biggest advantage will be that they don't have anyone to guard Stewie. We saw that in the semi final game last year. Braker will get in foul trouble like she did last year. Stewie is much better and so is Moriah. They will give us the greatest advantage. UT wilted in the second half.

Thanks coach. Be sure and pass this on to Geno. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Geno said that the guards don't always do the best job of passing the ball into the post. Fouls on Achonwa and Reimer will severely hurt Notre Dame's chances of defeating UConn. The words about the guards were right from Geno's mouth. You should listen more closely when they interview him.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, ND is a stronger team this year than last. Yes, they lost Skylar, who was a warrior, but their returning players are much stronger, and they have the weapon that we now find ourselves deficient in...big production off the bench. Despite losing Kelly, we are probably a stronger team this year also, mainly because of the emergence of MoJeff, but ND, in its current iteration, is showing us how badly we need a healthy and productive Morgan Tuck. And, given ND's skills behind the 3 point line, we will desperately need the resurrection of KML's offense. At this moment in time, the potential matchup is probably a tossup.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
I do not believe Notre Dame has faced a defense as good as ours. I just don't see ND banging in 3's the way they did against utenn.

I wonder what happens to ND if their 3's are not falling. They cannot win by pounding it inside against us !

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
MoJet certainly is becoming the shutdown defender against guards.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
In my opinion, ND is a stronger team this year than last. Yes, they lost Skylar, who was a warrior, but their returning players are much stronger, and they have the weapon that we now find ourselves deficient in...big production off the bench. Despite losing Kelly, we are probably a stronger team this year also, mainly because of the emergence of MoJeff, but ND, in its current iteration, is showing us how badly we need a healthy and productive Morgan Tuck. And, given ND's skills behind the 3 point line, we will desperately need the resurrection of KML's offense. At this moment in time, the potential matchup is probably a tossup.
I agree 100% BigTunia...........We definitely need Morgan Tuck healthy and ready come March. I am just hoping that she is able to get enough court time in to be sharp and in good game condition.

Reaction Score
Wow, talk about respecting the mojo!!!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Hard to take that much insight from a game in which ND just decimated a mainly hapless and listless UTenn defense in the 2nd half. Vol guard defenders can swarm on the press but they did not look good trying to defend in the half court against not very fast ND ball handlers as they tossed the ball around the perimeter to eventually find a 3-pt shooting Mabry and Cable in sparsely populated territories, or later to run some time off the clock and just have Achonwa saunter inside for a catch and layup. ND played very smartly in the second half, but a team of dodos would have looked alive and brilliant against the Vols in the last 22 minutes.

Reaction Score

"A tossup", really ? On a neutral court you think that this would be an even game ? Interesting. As Chrissaran said in an earlier post, ND does not have anything close to an answer for Stewie and I don't think they have anyone who can keep up with Mo. If they played 10 times on a neutral court right now I would think that UConn would win 8-10 times.
Let's see how ND does over their next 4 games. 3 of those are tough games on the road. Depending on the results, I might change my opinion. Or I might not.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

I know our team does not think like this...neither do I. Respect is one thing, tossup cognitions another.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
ND is a very good team. As stated, they have 4 scorers as starters plus 3 off the bench who can contribute.

However, defensively they looked a little slow to react, especially in the first half and they were playing zone which seems uncharacteristic of Muffet's teams. Their team speed may be a question mark. Tennessee showed their quickness and speed early but faltered.

Looking at us, we have speed and that includes Stef who runs the court as well as any big if not better. I don't know if ND can contain MoJef at all. The have no one who can contain Stewie. I also agree that our guards need to do a much better job of getting the ball into the low post when Stef, Stewie and Kiah are down low.

Defensively, we pressure the ball very well. We defend the 3 well, most of the time. And we can put a very big front line on the court who can rebound and block shots.

Time will tell for both teams. If we should meet them in the tournament, it should be one barn burner of a game.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
ND is a very good team. As stated, they have 4 scorers as starters plus 3 off the bench who can contribute.

However, defensively they looked a little slow to react, especially in the first half and they were playing zone which seems uncharacteristic of Muffet's teams. Their team speed may be a question mark. Tennessee showed their quickness and speed early but faltered.

Looking at us, we have speed and that includes Stef who runs the court as well as any big if not better. I don't know if ND can contain MoJef at all. The have no one who can contain Stewie. I also agree that our guards need to do a much better job of getting the ball into the low post when Stef, Stewie and Kiah are down low.

Defensively, we pressure the ball very well. We defend the 3 well, most of the time. And we can put a very big front line on the court who can rebound and block shots.

Time will tell for both teams. If we should meet them in the tournament, it should be one barn burner of a game.

We start 5 potential All Americans...not enough to inspire optimism and confidence?

Reaction Score
"A tossup", really ? On a neutral court you think that this would be an even game ? Interesting. As Chrissaran said in an earlier post, ND does not have anything close to an answer for Stewie and I don't think they have anyone who can keep up with Mo. If they played 10 times on a neutral court right now I would think that UConn would win 8-10 times.
Let's see how ND does over their next 4 games. 3 of those are tough games on the road. Depending on the results, I might change my opinion. Or I might not.
Look, all of this is just idle conjecture, obviously. But, yes, pretty much a tossup. Everyone who understands this game knows how important a little depth is come tourney time. Our starters are better than theirs, but we're, at least for now, pretty thin beyond that. So much depends on Morgan. We all have to hope and pray that this doesn't turn out to be a "lost" season for her. Knee edema of the type she's experiencing can be very pesky. Since we have a fairly breezy upcoming schedule, I'd like to see the staff give her another couple of weeks to rest, then see if she can get into tourney shape by March. Then, what else do we have? Kiah has her moments, but I sure wish she played with more aggression, with more of a chip on her shoulder. And until she stops missing two-inch putts right under the rim (sorry for the mixed metaphor) it's hard to see her making the kind of impact we've all hoped for. Saniya is not showing herself to be quite ready yet for very serious contributions in big games, and Brianna seems to have lost Geno's confidence altogether and is on the shortest of leashes. Do we have a great team? Absolutely. Are we a shoo-in for #9 this year? Nah....but some meaningful contribution beyond the starting five would sure help the prospects!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Brianna seems to have lost Geno's confidence altogether and is on the shortest of leashes.

I wonder why?
Can't think of a specific moment…
The practice bugaboo perhaps

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Look, all of this is just idle conjecture, obviously. But, yes, pretty much a tossup. Everyone who understands this game knows how important a little depth is come tourney time. Our starters are better than theirs, but we're, at least for now, pretty thin beyond that. So much depends on Morgan. We all have to hope and pray that this doesn't turn out to be a "lost" season for her. Knee edema of the type she's experiencing can be very pesky. Since we have a fairly breezy upcoming schedule, I'd like to see the staff give her another couple of weeks to rest, then see if she can get into tourney shape by March. Then, what else do we have? Kiah has her moments, but I sure wish she played with more aggression, with more of a chip on her shoulder. And until she stops missing two-inch putts right under the rim (sorry for the mixed metaphor) it's hard to see her making the kind of impact we've all hoped for. Saniya is not showing herself to be quite ready yet for very serious contributions in big games, and Brianna seems to have lost Geno's confidence altogether and is on the shortest of leashes. Do we have a great team? Absolutely. Are we a shoo-in for #9 this year? Nah....but some meaningful contribution beyond the starting five would sure help the prospects!

You are quick to assume that ND's bench is always at the ready to step up when needed. That hasn't always been the case. In a recent game against Clemson McGraw stopped subbing because her bench players weren't ready to play. Mabrey and Cable both shot the ball very well last night but those two players aren't without limitations which Tenn wasn't able to expose last night (a fact pointed out by the broadcast team).

Having said that, I do agree that UConn is a lot stronger when Tuck is healthy; hopefully she'll get there. One of Banks or Saniya needs to step up and be dependable off the bench. Banks looked lost during the minute or two she played against Rutgers in the first half. I'm thrilled with what Kiah Stokes is giving to this team. She is a game-changer on defense and there aren't many teams that have someone like her.

BTW, McGraw recently observed that one area of concern for her team is that it's not able to change the game with its defense. That is an area in which UConn has an advantage over ND. UConn's size and shot-blocking ability can change games. Jefferson has also shown she can change games defensively.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Shoo-in? Heck, anything can happen in one game against a team as good as ND. But. Toss up? As others have said, I will wait to see how they do against The tough ACC teams.

Last night, when Allen and Loyd had to sit the ND lineup was Achonwa, McBride, Braker, Cable and Mabrey.

Please tell me who they guard when Uconn has Dolson, KML, Stewart, Hartley and Jefferson on the court?

I rewatched the times that Cable and Mabrey were open for 3's. They were totally open. Terrible defense. I don't expect that to happen if ND meets Uconn.

Reaction Score
If ND has guard foul trouble like they did against UT, then Cable and Mabrey will be guarding Bria and MoJeff, an over match if there ever was one. If we play ND in the semi finals or championship, we need KML to get back on track, Morgan to be healthy and Brianna and Saniya to play the way everyone knows they can. All very probable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom