UConn vs Miami Final Four | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Miami Final Four

Reaction Score
UConn is 17-0 out of conference this season with no single-digit margins of victory. This includes wins over the top rated offense in the country, and the number one overall seed in the tournament… I mean, what’s the narrative here, Miami fans? Did we not play anybody? Really? Do all the other conferences suck, then, except the ACC? Okay, no worries, it’s only Monday. You’ve got six days to get your story straight. But it does need some tweaking. (Personally, in your position I’d just go with the “on any given Saturday” argument, and spend a lot of time in church this week.)
We don't really need a narrative. We beat the last Kenpom #1, we beat Kenpoms #5 both we're rated higher than us offensively and defensively and both went home. So whats's your narrative? You guys are the new #1? ok

Our shooting percentage has gone up in every game against Kenpoms #1 defense so we don't need to fool ourselves into thinking this team is peaking at the right time. We are.

But so is UConn. Your team, looks great!

Reaction Score
Norchad Omeir has been the piece that makes this all work. People point to our guards and they are good but Omeir allows for us to leak out on fast breaks by securing multiple offensive rebounds per night. He is as strong they come and well built. Your PF will be able to go over the top of him but he will not be able to bang him down. He can try. Others have.

You get Norchad off the floor and suddenly we're a team with almost no real board presence and we're forced to pack the paint to keep from getting killed.
Curious to get your thoughts on how Laranaga deals with UConn's two-headed monster at the 5. Omier averages a bit under 30 minutes a game, which presumably is manageable against the vast majority of teams where that time on the bench will come against a backup 5. UConn gives you a very different look when Clingan comes in but with little or no drop off in production. Do you think they will just try to get Omier to play almost the entire game (even giving up 7 inches to Clingan)? There seems to be some size but deep end of the bench size.

And one point on Sanogo (who I think you're referring to when you say "Your PF"), the Arkansas fans assumed they were going to be facing another Tshiebwe and that is very far from reality. He's not a big body that's just going to bulldoze people, he's a player with some of the most advanced back to the basket footwork in college basketball that will get his defender off balance and then get an easy two (along with bullying people on the boards).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know the BY thing is to claim we are “DOOMED” with any one of 100 different memes. But we have laid waste to every opponent we’ve faced, including shellacking the statistically best offensive team in the nation by nearly 30, holding them to 54 points.

So if this goes south at any point in the next two games I’ll be appalled. Just play like you have so far boys, grab that cup with two hands.

And I apologize to the “Doomed”.
B3210066-5904-4A9B-B522-2C0B46B89C1B.jpeg

Reaction Score
thanks for coming by and for the overview. I think we feel like we're likely to win but your team has been very gutty and clutch, and anything can happen. One bad shooting night can end anyone's season at this point.

how deep into your bench do you guys go?
they go 8 deep w/ 3 bench guys averaging 10+mpg

Pack
Wong- Joseph
Poplar- Beverly
Miller- Walker
Omier

they have no size up front

Reaction Score
UConn is 17-0 out of conference this season with no single-digit margins of victory. This includes wins over the top rated offense in the country, and the number one overall seed in the tournament… I mean, what’s the narrative here, Miami fans? Did we not play anybody? Really? Do all the other conferences suck, then, except the ACC? Okay, no worries, it’s only Monday. You’ve got six days to get your story straight. But it does need some tweaking. (Personally, in your position I’d just go with the “on any given Saturday” argument, and spend a lot of time in church this week.)
Lol. Love the confidence and agree with everything, but let's not forget to stay humble while we destroy every team put in front of us.
This is called March Madness for a reason, and Miami is a good team but we should win going away.
#OneForTheThumb

Reaction Score
Curious to get your thoughts on how Laranaga deals with UConn's two-headed monster at the 5. Omier averages a bit under 30 minutes a game, which presumably is manageable against the vast majority of teams where that time on the bench will come against a backup 5. UConn gives you a very different look when Clingan comes in but with little or no drop off in production. Do you think they will just try to get Omier to play almost the entire game (even giving up 7 inches to Clingan)? There seems to be some size but deep end of the bench size.

And one point on Sanogo (who I think you're referring to when you say "Your PF"), the Arkansas fans assumed they were going to be facing another Tshiebwe and that is very far from reality. He's not a big body that's just going to bulldoze people, he's a player with some of the most advanced back to the basket footwork in college basketball that will get his defender off balance and then get an easy two (along with bullying people on the boards).
We have a kid named Anthony Walker. 6'9". 4th year jr or something like that. He's limited offensively but he will get the assignment of playing your 7 footer. He's athletic and ok under the basket. But a poor shooter. His job will be to buy minutes. One think he can do is run though. He did it a lot against Houston and got us a lot of fast break dunks. So that could be something that works if we can turn you over.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hello UConn fans!

Miami Hurricane fan here.

You guys seem very very confident in comparison to the Houston and Texas fans. LOL! Cool.

Could kind of tell that Houston fans were uptight about playing us when they kept spouting on and on about metrics. smh Obviously they don't tell even half the story.

A little about our team, our guards are quick but they are all 3 level players. decent height. Any one of them can hit from 3pt range and any can attack you off the dribble. Jordan MIller is our swing but he convers the other teams PF. He's strong and wirey but he can be pushed off his base by bigger PF. But if they aren't quick, they will have no chance of staying up with him. (See Texas PF trying to cover Jordan one on one. It went awfully for him until Jordan fouled him out.)

Norchad Omeir has been the piece that makes this all work. People point to our guards and they are good but Omeir allows for us to leak out on fast breaks by securing multiple offensive rebounds per night. He is as strong they come and well built. Your PF will be able to go over the top of him but he will not be able to bang him down. He can try. Others have.

You get Norchad off the floor and suddenly we're a team with almost no real board presence and we're forced to pack the paint to keep from getting killed.

Your guards are bigger than ours. I felt like we could shoot over Texas because their guards were short and slight. Your guards are all 6'5 or better. They should be able to shoot over the top of our guards.

One of the most unique things that I can think of about us is that we aren't wired to score in just one way and there isn't any one player that you can take from us on offense that will slow us down.

Texas decided to take away the entire teams ability to get clean 3pt shots(credit their D) we just beat them in a different way.

Our defense ranks low. No excuses. We attack passing lanes and take risks to create turnovers and get out and run. We can really run. Even our 6'9 backup PF is fast.

I think that everything.
Appreciate the post! Have a question to ask you... I live in Pittsburgh now, wife went to Pitt, so I watched a lot of their games. In the two games this year vs Pitt, you guys basically played even. Pitt doesn't have an outstanding defense, but like MIami, they have shooters. Wong was mostly a non-factor in both. In short, the Miami team I saw twice wasn't all that impressive. Given that even in the ACC tourney Miami only won by two (and Pitt clanged their final shot), what's different about Miami in this tournament as opposed to the regular season?

Reaction Score
Appreciate the post! Have a question to ask you... I live in Pittsburgh now, wife went to Pitt, so I watched a lot of their games. In the two games this year vs Pitt, you guys basically played even. Pitt doesn't have an outstanding defense, but like MIami, they have shooters. Wong was mostly a non-factor in both. In short, the Miami team I saw twice wasn't all that impressive. Given that even in the ACC tourney Miami only won by two (and Pitt clanged their final shot), what's different about Miami in this tournament as opposed to the regular season?
Confidence. The team is just been playing its best basketball over the last 6 or 7 games and the kids are starting to feel really confident.

This is Poplars first year starting. He's playing much better now than at the beginning. Norchad used to stay in foul trouble. Now he's learning how to not get into foul trouble. As well as Nigel Pack is playing, at the beginning of the year people were down on him. He wasn't hitting his shots, he wasn't very ggressive lots of turnovers.

Things just sort fo came together.

Is stopping Jackson the key to slowing your team down?

Reaction Score
Lol. Love the confidence and agree with everything, but let's not forget to stay humble while we destroy every team put in front of us.
This is called March Madness for a reason, and Miami is a good team but we should win going away.
#OneForTheThumb
Do you feel like Texas was overrated?

Reaction Score
The key to this game is the officiating. How the game is called. Gonzaga missed 10 ft. Miami had more than Texas and didn't miss. If free throws are even we win going away.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yes, as long as you also stop Sanogo, Hawkins, Newton and Karaban and then can stop Calcaterra, Clingan and Alleyne when they come in off the bench. Diarra is mostly a defensive stopper as a backup guard so.......

Reaction Score
Theoretically one of them but the only real path to that feels like foul trouble. He and Newton share the point duties so it's not like if Jackson goes out, the offense grinds to a halt. What has had the biggest impact in slowing this team is guard pressure. Full court-pressure, denial of Hawkins, and pressure to keep the guards from getting Sanogo the ball in the post. With the motion offense clicking the way it is, that is VERY hard to do.

Reaction Score
We have a kid named Anthony Walker. 6'9". 4th year jr or something like that. He's limited offensively but he will get the assignment of playing your 7 footer. He's athletic and ok under the basket. But a poor shooter. His job will be to buy minutes. One think he can do is run though. He did it a lot against Houston and got us a lot of fast break dunks. So that could be something that works if we can turn you over.
That thought makes conventional sense. But that our 7-2 back up center is very fast. He often runs the floor and gets dunks on breaks. And he also stopped two breaks by Arkansas by beating their guards down the floor and clogging the paint. True.

Reaction Score
They lost by 18 to Maryland.

There's also no way anyone posting here would handwave a loss to Georgetown or DePaul this year. Georgetown was roughly as good as Florida State. DePaul is better than both Florida State and Georgia Tech (and Notre Dame, and Boston College, and Louisville, to give you perspective for the bottom of that league).

How many bad losses did we have this year? To put that into perspective

Reaction Score
UConn needs offensive rebounds by a few key players to slow down their break. They are very good at scoring before the D sets up

Reaction Score
How many bad losses did we have this year? To put that into perspective
UConn lost to a Top-90 St. John's. That's their one "bad loss." They also lost to a Top-60 Seton Hall team that ranked about the same as Pitt. If that's a bad loss, Miami's loss to Pitt is as well.

UConn never got blown out. Miami got blown out by Maryland and lost to two teams that are absolutely horrific. St. John's beat the bricks off of Florida State in Florida.

Reaction Score
Yeah before we get over confident here, the same coach coached team A over team B. So we're, in fact, doomed.

Team A
6'7" (275)
6'7" (230)
6'4" (205)
6'1" (175)
6'2" (170)

Bench
6'5" (190)

Team B
6'9" (220)
6'3" (205)
6'11" (235)
6'6" (220)
6'10" (235)

Bench
6'7" (243)
6'5" (215)
6'3" (176)

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Absolutely. If he's firing on all cylinders, we're really, really tough offensively and defensively, because he's such a great facilitator and defender, and he's absolutely lethal in the fast break. We've lost one game in the last month, to Marquette in the Big East Tournament. Jackson had probably his worst game of the season and fouled out with only 15 minutes.

I'm not trying to say we're unstoppable by any means, although we have been playing very well, but when Andre Jackson is playing at his best (which he has all tournament) we are a very tough out.

Reaction Score
Yeah before we get over confident here, the same coach coached team A over team B. So we're, in fact, doomed.

Team A
6'7" (275)
6'7" (230)
6'4" (205)
6'1" (175)
6'2" (170)

Bench
6'5" (190)

Team B
6'9" (220)
6'3" (205)
6'11" (235)
6'6" (220)
6'10" (235)

Bench
6'7" (243)
6'5" (215)
6'3" (176)
That UConn team should've lost in the sweet 16 and was down a dozen midway through the second half to Albany in the first round. There was a ton of talent but it was a totally unfocused group.

Reaction Score
That UConn team should've lost second round and was down a dozen midway through the second half to Albany in the first round. There was a ton of talent but it was a totally unfocused group.

Larranaga is a good coach but this whole "he beat UConn at George Mason" is probably the dumbest storyline in what will undoubtedly be a week full of dumb storylines. That '06 team was practically begging to lose from round 1.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom