Men - UConn vs. Long Island Univ. Sharks (3/20/24 @2:05p at Elliot Ballpark) Game on UConn+/Fox Sports Radio 97.9 & AM 1300 | The Boneyard

Men UConn vs. Long Island Univ. Sharks (3/20/24 @2:05p at Elliot Ballpark) Game on UConn+/Fox Sports Radio 97.9 & AM 1300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LIU is coming off long 2 out of 3 to CCSU. Would expect Schild to get start again. Need bats to come alive and they should at home. Would be nice to pitch from a comfortable lead and not put pitching if any high leverage situations.

Reaction Score
LIU is coming off long 2 out of 3 to CCSU. Would expect Schild to get start again. Need bats to come alive and they should at home. Would be nice to pitch from a comfortable lead and not put pitching if any high leverage situations.

Yup, I would think Ben Schild is likely to start as well.

Pitching did okay yesterday, the offense pretty much took the day off, it hardly showed up.

Reaction Score
There is one guy hitting above .300 (and that’s .303). Another at .297 and then a drop off to .265 and below for the rest of the lineup and reserves. Even with BE action approaching, I’m not sure these avg. will get it done. 1/3 of the season is a decent indicator but hopefully it doesn’t define the rest of the regular season n hopeful postseason.

Reaction Score
1) Hitting .226 and avg 3.94 runs per game through 18 games. My personal opinion on this is they are overthinking from a hitting standpoint. This is based on my attendance at games and sitting by the dugout for 4 of those games and hearing the convos taking place. I understand mechanics, scouting reports etc. but a big part of hitting is instinctual and you trust your mechanics. When you start over tweaking it and piling crap on top of crap you lose all sense of normalcy. You're trying to run all this stuff through your mind at the plate with a ball coming at you at 92mph. It feels restrained.

2) I would have thought the HRs by Daniels (CBU) and Broadhurst (UCLA) would have gotten them going. Instead they've gone backwards. Korey is swinging the best bat but his obp% is essentially at team avg. Tammaro is ~.300 but he's finding a lot of holes he's been fortunate. Studley has pretty much become a guy who goes to RF/RCF now. I don't remember him being that opposite field last year but I don't have the data.

3) Offensively the alarm bells for me went off against Indiana St. when I saw the worst quality ABs I've seen at Uconn in a long time. Where he has the lineup at present is ok but you can't bench everyone who isn't hitting because you'd have nobody out there. The top 6 (including Malcom, excluding Garbo) need to produce. He's playing around with 7-9 trying to find a hot hand and that's ok. I think Kron deserves another start today in CF. But fiddling with the tail only gives you a small lift it won't materially change the trajectory of the offense. Top 6 need to make it work.

4) I flipped on the 2022 Maryland regional. Bry and TC were totally different players in terms of aggressiveness, body language etc. They are now shells of what they were 2 years ago. Injuries a factor? sure. Confidence a factor? I think so. Just striking to see the contrast. Hurts not getting really anything from those guys.

5) Coaching staff needs to look in the mirror. Through 18 games the coaching hasn't been good tactically. I just saw the URI interview and at least Penders acknowledged the Broadhurst bunt as a mistake. I think the coaching has leaned towards micromanaging. When you coach a long time sometimes you think you need to come up with new stuff. Just need to let this team breathe a bit.

6) Rutgers for 3, BC and NE aren't easy. They will need to play very well to win those games.

Just my thoughts I can be way off on these topics. I go by what I see and hear.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Essentially Garbo in, Minick out.

Also interesting, Broadhurst at 3B, he has not played a UConn regular season game there. As I have mentioned before he has played at 3B during fall ball games at UConn.

Reaction Score
Also interesting, Broadhurst at 3B, he has not played a UConn regular season game there. As I have mentioned before he has played at 3B during fall ball games at UConn.
Desperate to get as many bats in the lineup with the offense struggling. Willing to give up some defense to do it. If you're going to try it today is the day LIU may be the weakest team on the schedule.

Reaction Score
Desperate to get as many bats in the lineup with the offense struggling. Willing to give up some defense to do it. If you're going to try it today is the day LIU may be the weakest team on the schedule.

Of course, last season UConn had as regulars Freeberger at 3B and Huber at 1B. Broadhurst spent all his regular season playing time at D.H. due to this. Of course, Dalena got some time at 1B when Huber was injured.

Reaction Score
Top 1st, with 2 runners in scoring position with 1 out, LIU gets an RBI ground out. 1-0 LIU. A couple runners are left on base.

Reaction Score
Top 2nd, Schild gives up a 1 out double followed by a single that puts runners on the corners. A 1 out double drives in a run, 2-0 LIU. A 2 out walk loads the bases. A single plus a Kron throwing error brings in 3 runs, 5-0 LIU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bottom 2nd, UConn offense loads the bases (2 walks and an infield single) with 1 out. Dalena draws a 1 out walk to bring in a run, 5-1 LIU. The next batter Kron has a fielders choice ground out to bring in another run, 5-2 LIU, with runners on the corners. Daniels draws a 2 out walk to load the bases. Tammaro hits a grand salami, 6-5 UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1) Hitting .226 and avg 3.94 runs per game through 18 games. My personal opinion on this is they are overthinking from a hitting standpoint. This is based on my attendance at games and sitting by the dugout for 4 of those games and hearing the convos taking place. I understand mechanics, scouting reports etc. but a big part of hitting is instinctual and you trust your mechanics. When you start over tweaking it and piling crap on top of crap you lose all sense of normalcy. You're trying to run all this stuff through your mind at the plate with a ball coming at you at 92mph. It feels restrained.

2) I would have thought the HRs by Daniels (CBU) and Broadhurst (UCLA) would have gotten them going. Instead they've gone backwards. Korey is swinging the best bat but his obp% is essentially at team avg. Tammaro is ~.300 but he's finding a lot of holes he's been fortunate. Studley has pretty much become a guy who goes to RF/RCF now. I don't remember him being that opposite field last year but I don't have the data.

3) Offensively the alarm bells for me went off against Indiana St. when I saw the worst quality ABs I've seen at Uconn in a long time. Where he has the lineup at present is ok but you can't bench everyone who isn't hitting because you'd have nobody out there. The top 6 (including Malcom, excluding Garbo) need to produce. He's playing around with 7-9 trying to find a hot hand and that's ok. I think Kron deserves another start today in CF. But fiddling with the tail only gives you a small lift it won't materially change the trajectory of the offense. Top 6 need to make it work.

4) I flipped on the 2022 Maryland regional. Bry and TC were totally different players in terms of aggressiveness, body language etc. They are now shells of what they were 2 years ago. Injuries a factor? sure. Confidence a factor? I think so. Just striking to see the contrast. Hurts not getting really anything from those guys.

5) Coaching staff needs to look in the mirror. Through 18 games the coaching hasn't been good tactically. I just saw the URI interview and at least Penders acknowledged the Broadhurst bunt as a mistake. I think the coaching has leaned towards micromanaging. When you coach a long time sometimes you think you need to come up with new stuff. Just need to let this team breathe a bit.

6) Rutgers for 3, BC and NE aren't easy. They will need to play very well to win those games.

Just my thoughts I can be way off on these topics. I go by what I see and hear.
Good points. Your takes are appreciated.

Reaction Score
Bottom 2nd, after the 2 out Tammaro grand slam, UConn offense gets 2 runners on base, but that is it for the UConn offense that inning. 6-5 UConn.

Ian Cooke takes the mound to start the 3rd inning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom