UConn vs. DePaul post game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. DePaul post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nika: her defensive job on Peoples was amazing! she took her completely out of the game. If I'm not mistaken, none of Peoples 8 points in this game, came when Nika was guarding her.
The only points Peoples got while Nika was on the floor was right after Paige got a steal and made a long pass to Nika and Nika made a layup then had to race back to the other end and was a bit late getting to Peoples who had a bunny shot. NOT Nika's fault.

Reaction Score
Is anyone else surprised that Shade has surpassed KK Arnold's performance this year so decisively? Wasn't Arnold supposed to be the big freshman star?
I don’t think she has. They both are neck and neck to me with alternating good games be quiet games. KKs defense and passing make up for the scoring advantage Ash has imo.

Reaction Score
I think that Clark would be a far better player were she coached by Coach Geno. Rough around the edges, makes too many poor passes and throws up shots that have no chance of going in- even for Clark. Paige has the polish.

Is anyone else surprised that Shade has surpassed KK Arnold's performance this year so decisively? Wasn't Arnold supposed to be the big freshman star?
It’s amazing how people on this board try to create controversy when there isn’t one
Saying something like Ashland shade has surpassed KK Arnold’s performance, so decisively is just plain silly
Shows a lack of understanding of basketball
I guess you just look at how many points somebody scores and decide there a better player
You can make the case very easily the KK has been the best freshman for UConn given the position she plays point guard, which is the hardest position to play
Additionally, her defense has been stellar
She’s been absolutely a key to Uconn, playing it, up-tempo style, her steals, deflections in ability to push pace and get into the paint has been very impressive at this point. It’s probably a better defensive player than Ashland Shade, who is still good by the way

Reaction Score
Heck of a first half. And it would have been even worse if UCONN had scored on numerous layups that were missed. But what a first half!!
  • DePaul came out and scored a quick 11 points over the first 3 minutes or so with three 3-pointer, but only scored 10 points over the remaining 17 minutes. That's INSANE.
  • As Geno said at halftime - any time you can hold a team who averages 75 PPG to 21 in a quarter, your defense is ON POINT.
  • The team forced 18 TO's in the first half and DePaul averages ONLY 15 per game.
  • 3 point shooting was off, especially for Ash, but that first quarter was an offensive explosion.
  • 13-13 on FT's in the first half. Aaliyah was 10-10! 23-24 for the game. That has to be a record for UConn.
  • Paige was EVERYWHERE. Offense, defense, just an absolutely tremendous half - NOT just from scoring.
  • Aaliyah BATTLED. We really got a chance to see her moves and offensive arsenal in the post.
UConn came out strong again to start Q3, but once Geno started putting the reserves in (starting with Q and Ines), and they did really well. How great for Q, Amari, and Ines to be able to spell Paige, Aaliyah and Nika for part of Q3 and all of Q4, and still be competitive? Reserves outscored DePaul by 5 in Q4!!!
  • Paige - unbelievable as always. Another NPOY caliber game
  • Aaliyah - really showed off her post repertoire and battled
  • I thought Nika was really terrific. Unsung "hero" for her defense on DePaul's guards.
  • Ashlynn had a bit of a rough shooting day from 3, but still managed 21 points, oh and 7 boards! She never stops working hard. LOVE her game.
  • KK with no points except from the FT line but what she did so well wasn't part of her scoring - she was the lead PG much of the time with the staters on the floor, and ended up with 4 steals, 5 assists, and 4 boards. LOVE her game too!
  • Brady did some nice things looking comfortable, but also some sloppy things including 5 TO's and fouling out.
  • There is NO reason Q should be jacking up a 3 partway into the shot clock from 5 feet beyond the arc. Forcing way too much. But...
  • Amari and Ines (and Q) helped the team hold their own (and then some) against DePaul's starters for an entire quarter. 8 points and 5 boards for Amari! WooHoo!!
Bottom line this game was over by the end of Q1, and well out of reach by halftime. A great game for the starters to get rest and the reserves to really have some time to play together and do some nice things! Defense was incredible, everyone not only ate, but contributed. Total team effort! Geno and the team should be super happy (as should the fans)!!!
I'm sure you meant 21 at the half.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Is Amari the tallest player in the Big East? I think she is (certainly she is taller than anyone who has played against UConn so far), but I haven't checked every roster.

Reaction Score
Yea. I feel bad for Doug Bruno. The transfer portal and NIL are killing the Blue Demons.
Right. He lost Morrow to the two-headed monster of NIL and Tyler Phommachanh. Without her, this is a different team.

Reaction Score
Muhl on Peoples? Sorry about your luck Anaya. Zero points when guarded by Nika.

DePaul is a perfect example of a school that can’t compete with the transfer portal and NIL They just don’t have the talent to match up with UCONN.

I know Caitlin Clark is getting the national commercials and a media darling (and a great player) but I tend to think Paige is better. Paige is a little more consistent and more versatile.

Foul shooting has taken a noticeable upturn. The missed layup issue has returned at least for today.

There are probably some places that are comparable but the home atmosphere at UCONN is consistently the best in the country. A knowledgable, loud crowd that mostly stays until the end.

Ines didn't play great but wow does she have quick hands.
Paige is the better all-around player. She is the most unselfish great player I have ever seen. She passed up at least 6 good shots today.

Reaction Score
I don’t think she has. They both are neck and neck to me with alternating good games be quiet games. KKs defense and passing make up for the scoring advantage Ash has imo.
Right. When you are the point guard you have to run the offense, set it up first, and distribute the ball. You are usually at the top of the key. You are not going to get a lot of shots and every time you take it yourself you seem like a ball hog. KK just needs to find that fine line where you shoot only good shots, drive when there is a clear path, and don't ever force it. She is obviously used to blowing by defenders in high school but this is different. A good pull up would go a long way here. She has one but doesn't shoot it enough.

Reaction Score
I think that Clark would be a far better player were she coached by Coach Geno. Rough around the edges, makes too many poor passes and throws up shots that have no chance of going in- even for Clark. Paige has the polish.

Decisively? Think it's way to early to make that assessment. You only need to go back to the Seton Hall game for evidence to the contrary.

Reaction Score
It’s amazing how people on this board try to create controversy when there isn’t one
Saying something like Ashland shade has surpassed KK Arnold’s performance, so decisively is just plain silly
Shows a lack of understanding of basketball
I guess you just look at how many points somebody scores and decide there a better player
You can make the case very easily the KK has been the best freshman for UConn given the position she plays point guard, which is the hardest position to play
Additionally, her defense has been stellar
She’s been absolutely a key to Uconn, playing it, up-tempo style, her steals, deflections in ability to push pace and get into the paint has been very impressive at this point. It’s probably a better defensive player than Ashland Shade, who is still good by the way
I think that KK has been a better and more consistent defender all year but that Ash has been a better scorer and I think the reasons are simply that KK is a better defender and Ash is a better scorer. She has a better shot, quicker release, stronger short pull up, and moves better for the ball without the ball than KK. When you are the point you have other responsibilities, you give up the ball, have to distribute it, and have to stay in position to run the offense. KK is a smarter defender, gets through picks, switches better, and gets steals. In a given game, one can be more valuable than the other but I think the race for FOY is definitely still up in the air.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game and had the good fortune of being able to see it up and close.

One of the things that struck me today is how well the team plays in the open court and how it ran a "controlled" break today. They had a few breakaways but it was mostly the guards pushing the pace but in a measured way, looking for things to open up (which they oftentimes did) before DePaul had a chance to set up. Nika can push it like a bat out of hell but she has also learned when to wait for the trailing shooters.

I was also struck by how skilled Aaliyah is moving in a very small area right around the basket.

I could see and actually feel the intensity with which UConn plays, especially on defense. It feels methodical, deliberate, coordinated and almost business-like. There is no let up, it is constant, and it wears opponents down. KK and Shade have blended in so well because that is how they play.

I was also struck by watching Doug Bruno before the game. He was sitting on the bench about an hour before the game, appearing to be just soaking the incredible atmosphere in. When the UConn players were introduced, I noticed that he was standing apart, soaking that in as well. He has great admiration for his friend and for the entire program.

Incredibly this was their first game at Gampel since Ball State on December 6. That should not happen.

Reaction Score
I loved seeing Amari play today. That little baby hook was a thing of beauty. She made some mistakes and was moving slowly after a bit. She also got some rebounds, boxed out, blocked or changed a few shots. 8 points 5 rebounds is light years from where she was a month ago. She's not as mobile as I'd like to see, and she runs the floor stiffly, or maybe it would be better to say gingerly. I might even say she runs like someone whose back still hurts.

At one point, she worked to get low post position and reached for a pass but couldn't get to it. At first, I thought maybe she didn't put out enough effort. But it occurred to me that while she was busy muscling Jorie Allen (iirc) for position, with her legs pushing against Allen, she may not have been able to jump for that pass. She jumped for a few rebounds, so it's not like she's too stiff for that. But I think it's worth considering whether she doesn't still feel a bit limited in her movement, or perhaps isn't still in some discomfort.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Paige isn’t the only one that has fans

CD990774-A1B4-4BE0-8114-4B358178EA0C.jpeg

Reaction Score
I think that KK has been a better and more consistent defender all year but that Ash has been a better scorer and I think the reasons are simply that KK is a better defender and Ash is a better scorer. She has a better shot, quicker release, stronger short pull up, and moves better for the ball without the ball than KK. When you are the point you have other responsibilities, you give up the ball, have to distribute it, and have to stay in position to run the offense. KK is a smarter defender, gets through picks, switches better, and gets steals. In a given game, one can be more valuable than the other but I think the race for FOY is definitely still up in the air.
What u say makes perfect sense the kind of informed comment that makes the boneyard
Fun to read(better said than my post.)
Thank you

Reaction Score
Very hard to recruit in the big east
Especially high school players
Attendance is very low Haven’t looked at Depaul’s numbers but I saw a St. John’s home game that had attendance and I believe 187
Depaul relying on transfers and sometimes that works out and sometimes it doesn’t
Unfortunately, not this year

Reaction Score
Everyone loves Ashlynn.

Me too.

But forgive me for pointing out that she took the same number of shots from the
field today as did Paige, Aaliyah, and KK combined. She had been making 2 point
shots at 76% rate. Over the past two games it's been at a 44% rate. The 76% rate
is probably unrealistically high, but 44% is much lower than I'm sure she would like.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Everyone loves Ashlynn.

Me too.

But forgive me for pointing out that she took the same number of shots from the
field today as did Paige, Aaliyah, and KK combined. She had been making 2 point
shots at 76% rate. Over the past two games it's been at a 44% rate. The 76% rate
is probably unrealistically high, but 44% is much lower than I'm sure she would like.
Ashlynn is our “high volume shooter” kind of like that kid from Iowa….:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak