UConn-Villanova thread re: Fouls | The Boneyard

UConn-Villanova thread re: Fouls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gee..I don't know. How about Nika gettting a solid elbow to the eye and no foul called and AE getting a hand jab under the chin, but thats not a foul and a whack on the face of Caroline..Nope no foul there, but a villanova player pile drives Nika and it knocks siegrist down and of course that was a foul on Nika. I have been pretty fair to the refs, but this was a blatant missmatch in fouls. No two ways about it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have been pretty fair to the refs, but this was a blatant missmatch in fouls. No two ways about it.
UConn was called for 16 fouls, Villanova was called for 23. UConn had 23 free throw attempts, Villanova had 12.

Is there any chance people could stop complaining about foul calls?

45BEA622-D052-430F-9921-C4A6252ECC96.jpeg

Reaction Score
I call it the Muffet defense. When ND was in the Big East and Uconn had superior athletes and players, they are told to foul on EVERY play. Why? Because refs are never going to call every foul. So what happens is that only the most egregious fouls are going to get called. Also, all-american players are going to get the benefit of the calls too.

Reaction Score
UConn was called for 16 fouls, Villanova was called for 23. UConn had 23 free throw attempts, Villanova had 12.

View attachment 84226
I don't care about how many fouls are called. What I care about is the physical things teams get away with against Uconn without consequences.

Reaction Score

View attachment 84226
No chance. People are presenting actual fouls, hard fouls, that weren't called. Why is that a problem?

The problem is very rarely the fouls that ARE called. The problem is almost ALWAYS the fouls that AREN'T called. BTW, we got a lot of those trips to the line when they were fouling intentionally at the end of the game.

We are fans. We have opinions on how games should be called. Debating those opinions is fun. Trying to be "good fans" that fans from other teams "like" or "admire" is boring and dull.

Reaction Score

View attachment 84226
Is there any chance people stop complaining about the officials? No. Foul statistics do not tell the whole story. See my reasoning in this post.

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
No chance. People are presenting actual fouls, hard fouls, that weren't called. Why is that a problem?

The problem is very rarely the fouls that ARE called. The problem is almost ALWAYS the fouls that AREN'T called. BTW, we got a lot of those trips to the line when they were fouling intentionally at the end of the game.

We are fans. We have opinions on how games should be called. Debating those opinions is fun. Trying to be "good fans" that fans from other teams "like" or "admire" is boring and dull.

Then just do it.

Reaction Score

It is not just about the number of fouls called, it is about the number of fouls NOT called. If Villanova actually fouled 50 times and only were called for 23, while UConn actually fouled 25 and were only called for 16, would your assessment still be the same?

Reaction Score

View attachment 84226
But if people are upset at the fouls not being called on Uconn, shouldn't they be allowed to voice that opinion on this site or do all topics and opinions need your approval?

Just because Nova was called for more fouls does not automatically make it a mute point. Maybe Nova should have been called for several more fouls.....

Reaction Score

View attachment 84226
I think that UCONN decided to play the inside game and got the foul calls and Villanova decided to launch 3s which you almost never get a foul call on. To me the fouls aren't as much an issue because if the refs let them play that favors the team with the weakest bench and UCONN has no bench at this point.

Reaction Score
You can't show a picture of a person fighting through a screen and think there won't be a foul. Every screen has a foul on the screener sticking out a body part or the defender being super physical to fight through it. If the refs called that super close neither team would have any players left after the first quarter of the game.

Watch any great defender and you will see tons of holds and lots of physical play. AE beat MS up yesterday which is exactly how you slow down an offense. If you want to complain about something complain about how poorly UCONN takes care of the BB on offense. They had 22 turnovers against a pretty vanilla defense. They absolutely will need to clean that up once they start playing better teams.

Reaction Score
I think that UCONN decided to play the inside game and got the foul calls and Villanova decided to launch 3s which you almost never get a foul call on. To me the fouls aren't as much an issue because if the refs let them play that favors the team with the weakest bench and UCONN has no bench at this point.
Disagree. Team with lesser talent has the advantage. By hacking, they level up their talent and team with no bench can't afford to hack or they will be out of players.

Reaction Score
You can't show a picture of a person fighting through a screen and think there won't be a foul. Every screen has a foul on the screener sticking out a body part or the defender being super physical to fight through it. If the refs called that super close neither team would have any players left after the first quarter of the game.

Watch any great defender and you will see tons of holds and lots of physical play. AE beat MS up yesterday which is exactly how you slow down an offense. If you want to complain about something complain about how poorly UCONN takes care of the BB on offense. They had 22 turnovers against a pretty vanilla defense. They absolutely will need to clean that up once they start playing better teams.
Agree about turnovers, but really now, there aren’t many better teams that UConn hasn’t played.

Reaction Score
This is what Lou has to deal with every game with no calls going her way.

People are responding to this video with the focus on what happens to Lou. Something even more intriguing is if you focus on the Villanova player(#23) trying to go through the screen. Watch the last couple of seconds closely. The Villanova player gives up on Lou and is clearly creating contact with Edwards, pushing her while Edwards is still in the screening position. It is clear and seems to have a purpose. Is she trying to cause the perception of a moving screen violation? Or maybe she feels moving around the screen would give UConn some advantage? IDK. It is interesting to me, although I may be over-analyzing a common play.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
After THAT ref performance?????? Not a chance. They brought it on themselves.
My issue is that posters think Villanova, or any opponent, gets the benefit of ALL uncalled fouls. How many times was Maddy held or knocked down without a foul? A lot, but the people complaining don’t mention that. The refs were horrendous, no doubt about it. Inconsistent and incompetent for long stretches. ‘Nova wasn’t the sole beneficiary of the bad calls, though, but fans here are totally ignoring that to play the victim card.

Physical games are the way the sport is evolving. A lot of people here don’t read Twitter but if they did, they’d see the bruises on Cameron Brink, Aliyah Boston, Caitlin Clark, and other star players. If people don’t like that style of play, they should check out D2 or another sport because it’s here to stay.

Knowing that, just the thought that there will be complaints about Our Girls and the mean opponents that beat them up for the years to come is depressing.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
My beef is with head shots and face shots not called. Aaliyah gets the heel of a Nova player in her jaw while dribbling. Her head snaps back and she stops - stunned. The call - travelling on Aaliyah. Later in the game Nika is pushed by Olsen, knocked into Seigrist, and Nika gets the foul. Nika also took an elbow to the face, right in front of the official, and no call. The last one was in the 4th quarter when Caroline was under the basket going for a rebound. Seigrist came over her back, chopped down to slap the ball away and hit Caroline on the head. This caused Caroline to go to the bench and get ice on her neck.

Sorry, but head and face shots need to be called. This type of defensive behavior is not good for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom