UConn v. Union Garnet Chargers @Messa Rink, Schenectady NY (Friday 10/20/22 @7p & Saturday 10/21/23 @4p). Both games on ESPN+. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Union Garnet Chargers @Messa Rink, Schenectady NY (Friday 10/20/22 @7p & Saturday 10/21/23 @4p). Both games on ESPN+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cavanaugh has lost my support and he will not be replaced for years to come but the program will not take the next step with him in charge. He has reached his ceiling. This was supposed to be “The Year” and it’s already over with 6 months remaining.

I will continue to watch every game and follow the team but Cavanaugh is not the coach to lead this program to the next level. Cav needs to go.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It looks like this could be a rough year. It is what it is. Hopefully they'll figure it out and turn it around.

Reaction Score
NHL talent on this team, but the results always seem to be the same. I see an undisciplined team, too many penalties. Doesn't that have to fall on the coach.

Reaction Score
NHL talent on this team, but the results always seem to be the same. I see an undisciplined team, too many penalties. Doesn't that have to fall on the coach.
This is currently the 11th season of this. There is one common denominator.

Reaction Score
The way this season is going the non season ticket holders might be getting a chance to go to Toscano quite a bit after all!

80 shot attempts by the way for those wondering. 37 made it through. Clearly the edict from the staff was to just throw as many grenades as you can at the opposing goalie and hope something happens.
Didn’t work.

For comparisons sake, I looked up the QU vs UNH box and those teams were in the 45-50 vicinity of shot attempts each.

Reaction Score
Anybody know anything about the Capone injury? Guessing it happened in practice?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It looks like this could be a rough year. It is what it is. Hopefully they'll figure it out and turn it around.
It isn’t “it is what it is”. I don’t think you quite grasp what a disaster this might be.

zls44

Reaction Score
Anybody know anything about the Capone injury? Guessing it happened in practice?

Probably hurt himself taking a cheap shot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It isn’t “it is what it is”. I don’t think you quite grasp what a disaster this might be.
Well, for things that I can't change, and that's my attitude. It looks like it's going to be a long season. So be it. My bitching about it isn't going to change that.

zls44

Reaction Score
41 teams have made the NCAA Tournament since Cav arrived.

It isn’t. THAT. hard.

Reaction Score
The team is just struggling right now and in a little funk. The kids will work it out. A little adversity is good. They just need to stay together as a team. There is a lot of hockey yet to be played.

Reaction Score
The team is just struggling right now and in a little funk. The kids will work it out. A little adversity is good. They just need to stay together as a team. There is a lot of hockey yet to be played.
I don’t know. I hope this is correct. The issue is against teams we should handle their appears to be no sense of urgency and I am not sure there is a whole lot of firepower on offense. Defense continues to make dumb plays. We are going on about 8 years of a terrible power play. I hate to be down on Cav but there are no more excuses or time. Maybe there was a reason he was an assistant for so long? His teams do seem to go through extended patches of playing poorly every year. Usually there are also very good runs as well. Maybe the bad run is early this year, but we look like a bad team that is headed to a 9th place or lower finish in the league. I hope we figure out but not optimistic after what we have seen.

Reaction Score
Cav has gotten every benefit of the doubt for 11 years. He is near the top salary wise nationwide.

Forget the NCAA tournament, we've only been to Boston once under Cavanaugh.The team is in disarray and that is on Cavanaugh - pure and simple!

Reaction Score
Cavanaugh has lost my support and he will not be replaced for years to come but the program will not take the next step with him in charge. He has reached his ceiling. This was supposed to be “The Year” and it’s already over with 6 months remaining.

I will continue to watch every game and follow the team but Cavanaugh is not the coach to lead this program to the next level. Cav needs to go.
At this early juncture, especially if they lose today, it appears the only attainable goals in front of them would be to win CT Ice at XL and find a way to earn a home game for the HE tournament. Pairwise top 16 is looking leas and less likely without a complete turnaround in the season.

True, although the third period broke them score-wise, they skated their tushies off, dominated possession and made plays. Goal scoring can be a streaky infectious thing and hopefully turns. However if they fail to bring it and skate with that same intensity for ALL 60 minutes then it’s all over.

zls44

Reaction Score
Goal scoring can be a streaky infectious thing and hopefully turns. However if they fail to bring it and skate with that same intensity for ALL 60 minutes then it’s all over.

Amazing how this always just happens to be an issue for UConn. Year after year.

Reaction Score
Cav has gotten every benefit of the doubt for 11 years. He is near the top salary wise nationwide.

Forget the NCAA tournament, we've only been to Boston once under Cavanaugh.The team is in disarray and that is on Cavanaugh - pure and simple!
A total of 2 playoff game wins, not series’, games, (both in the same season) in 10 seasons. 2!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Amazing how this always just happens to be an issue for UConn. Year after year.
Same with most average to good teams. Very good teams don’t tend to have this issue due to talent and depth, but through its history with HE, UConn has only flirted with this upper echelon while not really being a member. It’s still possible for UConn to find its rhythm and start winning the majority of its games, but the margin of error for doing so is quite small.

So far Richard and Salminen has been a bright spot, as has Haider and I look forward to his appearance this afternoon.

Need to see more from Bradley and Schandor, and Wood. Though he wasn’t in the lineup last night, Capone has actually regressed and isn’t even playing a physical game that defined his contribution in past seasons. We’ll see about Mashie.

Defense has the potential to be ok if they don’t turn the puck over. Can be solid but not impressive especially offensively. Lucas can skate and has vision but has the puck poked from him often on rushes. Spetz has the hardest shot on the team but it never seems to hit the net.

Reaction Score
Same with most average to good teams. Very good teams don’t tend to have this issue due to talent and depth, but through its history with HE, UConn has only flirted with this upper echelon while not really being a member. It’s still possible for UConn to find its rhythm and start winning the majority of its games, but the margin of error for doing so is quite small.

So far Richard and Salminen has been a bright spot, as has Haider and I look forward to his appearance this afternoon.

Need to see more from Bradley and Schandor, and Wood. Though he wasn’t in the lineup last night, Capone has actually regressed and isn’t even playing a physical game that defined his contribution in past seasons. We’ll see about Mashie.

Defense has the potential to be ok if they don’t turn the puck over. Can be solid but not impressive especially offensively. Lucas can skate and has vision but has the puck poked from him often on rushes. Spetz has the hardest shot on the team but it never seems to hit the net.
Yes. They can still finish with a record above .500. That’s not the goal. That gets them nothing. It’s the same exact thing season after season.

This was the year UConn was going to make noise. Following this season, they will be losing as many as 10 players (not including transfers leaving). So the next couple seasons will be rebuilding because they do not recruit on a level where they can reload instead of rebuild.
So it’s going to be another few seasons until they can compete for 3rd or 4th in Hockey East standings.

This is what the program is and will be under Cavanaugh. It’s been 11 seasons. He will not all of a sudden become a recruiting dynamo and get this program to one of the top 10 or 15 in the nation. You know what you will get with Cavanaugh in charge and it will not get any better than what it has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom